The Monkey Hustle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Monkey Hustle Reviews

May 29, 2014
Gotta monkey hustle goin'. Gotta hustle!

A group of con artists in a Chicago neighborhood have their game threatened by those who wish to build a highway through the neighborhood. The hustlers struggle to make ends meet and the highway isn't going to make things easier. The hustlers have to hustle to keep their girls, their status in the neighborhood, and some bread; now, they have to hustle to keep their homes!

"Put that trash in the garbage can, not in my ear."

Arthur Marks, director of Detroit 9000, Class of '74, Bucktown, Friday Foster, J.D.'s Revenge, and episodes of Perry Mason, Starsky and Hutch, and Dukes of Hazzard, delivers Monkey Hustle. The storyline for this picture is pretty weak but the dialogue and characters are fun. The acting is fairly mediocre and the cast includes Yaphet Kotto, Thomas Carter, Randy Brooks, Debbi Morgan, and Rudy Ray Moore.

"Tonight I'm going out with a doer."

Monkey Hustle is a movie I caught because I love the old Blaxploitation films. I can't say I have thought any of Marks additions to the genre were classics, but they generally have entertaining soundtracks and dialogue. The dialogue in this was solid but the soundtrack was just okay but the execution of the movie was below average. Overall, this is a bit disappointing and isn't really worth your time.

"If you're going to steal, steal big!"

Grade: C-