—— The Identical Sep 05

Monster House Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
"So I had my two yr old nephew today. He either brings a new book for me to read or a movie for us to watch. He's my kind of kid ; } Anyways, so this is what he wanted to watch. It's more fun watching him watch the film then the film itself. He gets scared and screams and runs and hides in the hallway and peaks around the corner and then finally joins me again when it gets less scary. He's a riot. But now for the movie. It's a lot of fun. It reminds me of how fun and original cartoons can be. I thought Chowder was really funny. It's just one of those cartoons you don't mind having to watch a few times... Cause he's two and that's what they want.. so yeah.. I watched it a few times.. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't had the chance yet."
Lucas M

January 28, 2012
Weak...
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 30, 2011
Monster House is a terrific animated comedy horror film that is perfect for the Halloween season. Monster House has gotten tremendous flack for being too frightening for children, and in a way, I can see why. However I think there are enough things to enjoy about this film that will appeal for the entire family, no matter what age you are. Of course, I wouldn't recommend this film to little kids as there are some scary scenes that may be too intense for small children. Anyways, Monster House is definitely a fun film to see and enjoy. I thought that the idea for the film was terrific and that it delivered something refreshing to the genre of animated films. I think that Monster House is a terrific addition to the comedy horror genre. I can understand why this film got the criticism it has received due to its scary content that may be too intense for kids, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a great film that is lots of fun. Producers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis and director Gil Kenan has made a stunning animated film that is pure fun from start to finish. The characters are great, the plot is original and there's just so many good things going for Monster House. Either way you at it, Monster House is a great film even if it may be too "scary" for kids. I personally think that this is the type of film that the entire family can enjoy during the Halloween season as it has enough spooks and laughs to appeal to anyone. A fun, entertaining film.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 29, 2011
Monster Huse was creepy, but not creepy enough. Visuals are amazing but the story not so striking.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 5, 2011
Monster House is the perfect kids horror movie. Its something I watch every year and im proud to say it.
Conner R

August 16, 2011
Monster House has a really great feel to it that makes it feel more live action than animated most of the time. Visually, it's hard to tell if it's stop motion, motion capture or purely CGI. I'm pretty sure it's just motion capture, but the movements are extremely realistic considering the animation style and release. It has a Steven Spielberg feel to it, which has now somehow become a style now. I guess it boils down to kinds discovering themselves around a supernatural event. I really like the story because it's really doing something different with the horror genre. This isn't too scary or spooky, just really fun and plays around wit the concept of a haunted house for a younger audience. All of the voice talents are great and lend something unique to the table. This movie just really benefits from being so lifelike, yet at the same time you can get away with so much more fantastical elements and not come off as corny. Overall, if you are a fan of 80s kids movies, this will definitely feel like one and it's just a really solid story and execution.
Alexander D

July 8, 2011
OK+
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

June 23, 2011
DJ and Chowder are best friends who think that there is something strange about the house across the street. After the grumpy owner, Mr. Nebbercracker, leaves the establishment, the house becomes a vicious monster with teeth and a roar. DJ and Chowder collaborate with a girl named Jenny to go into the house and find the secret of the Monster House.

The film's goal is to get kids into the horror movie genre and create a feeling of nostalgia to those who read Goosebumps and watched Are You Afraid of the Dark while growing up. The film creates a good spooky feeling and the comedic aspect dosen't interfere with it. They work together.

The performance capture in the film is great! Many people critiscize the style because of the creepy look of the characters even in inviting settings. Best example include Zemeckis' The Polar Express and A Christmas Carol. The animation kinda hides the fact that it is performance capture and the beackgrounds and design of the characters look like an excellent blend of computer animation and stop motion even though they are not, The performances from the actors are good as well. The kids know how to act in the situations they're in. I especially like Maggie Gylenhall, Steve Buschemi, Jason Lee, but love Jon Heder in this film! He does add his Napoleon Dynamite attitude into his performance.
The score was good as well and the writing.

This is also the first film I've seen in Blu-Ray 3D. The high definition quality is awesome and the 3D is okay. The film is still entertaining in 2D.

Monster House isn't perfect and not terrible but still fun and spooky. A must for those who enjoy eerie animation like The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.

"You make me want to throw up on some tinfoil and eat it!"
Dean !

January 1, 2007
A very good animated film about a house that is actually a living monster! It has a different type of animation style to most, no cute characters and bright colours here, which is in keeping with the story. It's still well animated with a good sense of depth adding a feeling of 3D space in the film. It's a little slow to start but soon picks up. It's a mix of a children's adventure with a Twilight zone story.
Jens S

August 1, 2006
This film is reminiscent of 80s films like The Burbs and Goonies, where kids and neighbors take mysterious matters in their own hands, trying to solve a riddle. The voice acting is excellent here, and while the animation of the characters seems superficial at first sight, their facial expressions are actually wonderfully real. While obviously aimed at a younger audience, the film still is for all ages, actually even a little too spooky for the really small ones. The pace is fast, the plot engaging and the final solution rather surprising. The action packed finale may be entirely over the top, but what does that even mean when talking about a film including a haunted house. Kids should have a blast with this.
erika250
erika250

March 18, 2011
This film is about 3 kids who discover that the house next door is haunted. When they tired to tell grownups in their lives that it is alive no one of the adults believed them. When they try to defect the monster house they watch as people, animals and things get eaten up by the house. . They finally get in the house and find out the reason why the house is haunted. This film is full of action, comedy, and horror. It is the type of film that keeps u at the edge of your seat and has a twist ending. It is also really cute and funny. The plot and the animation were super. If you like films that have horror, action, and comedy all in one you should really give this film a try.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 23, 2007
about as close as it comes to a kids horror film. a unique concept with a few shout outs to adult horror, the film is fun and entertaining but slows down quite a bit with multiple viewings.
michael e.
michael e.

January 31, 2011
SCARY AS CRAP!!!
Matt G

January 23, 2011
Supernatural animated flick that is wildly entertaining!

Grade B+
Anthony L

September 27, 2010
I was pretty impressed with Monster House. It's one of those rare films that actually is entertaining for both kids and adults. The animation is just as good as Pixar and Dreamworks too!
EightThirty .

August 1, 2010
31/07/2010 (TELEVISION)

Really impressive animated acting and a bit of a change from the usual family theme. This time it's a "horror".

There's some really cool bits as usual and as always an idiot to keep us laughing and a geek that musters up courage during the movie becoming the hero and ending up with the girl.

I do think it's a bit too scary for kids though, or maybe I was a bit too scared. Anyway, it is a "horror" themed film supposedly for children but adults can enjoy it as much.
Jani H

March 27, 2008
"Well, if those are the teeth, and that's the tongue, then that must be the uvula.
- Oh, so it's a "girl" house..."

Gil Kenan's 'Monster House' from 2006, was for me a real sleeper hit. People only talk about all the Disney's, Dreamworks' and Pixar's out there but every once in a while, some other studio comes out with noteworthy animations. In this case it was Sony.

The story is about a young kid who's neighbour is a grumpy old man. If anything touches his lawn... it's gone. The grumpster takes it to his own collection. Why is he so mad and angry at kids. Is it because his house is alive and has its own issues against kids !?!

But that's enough of the story. Robert Zemeckis is the producer and that can be seen. The film starts with a tribute to Zemeckis' most successful film, 'Forrest Gump'. The same technique that was used in his 'The Polar Express', is used in 'Monster House'. Performance capture is the name and I'm still not that convinced. This film has the same fault as 'Polar'. At times it looks very detailed and all that, but in my opinion, the people look rather... dead? 'Monster House' is by no means the most beautiful animation. Not by a long shot.

What I enjoyed most about 'Monster House' was that it felt like something completely different. This film is not for the smallest ones. Don't you be fooled by the genre, 'Monster House' will definitely scare the youngest with its scariest scenes. On the other hand, this film is also very funny'. I enjoyed the films humor and characters, especially Jon Heder's Skull, who has a small role in the movie.

The actors who do the voices, come out with excellent performances. Steve Buscemi as the old man, Jason Lee, Kevin James, Maggie Gyllenhall and the deep voiced Kathleen Turner. A good cast all together.

'Monster House' is a lot of fun, looks good in a different way (don't expect Pixarish detail) and will surely satisfy at least the older persons who were forced to watch an animation with the kids... Just don't tell 'em that the film isn't suitable for kids under 10. Let 'em cry the next night. Suits them well.
Richard C

June 26, 2010
great movie for the whole family. B+
KJ P

January 13, 2010
Great film! Even though they try to make a kids horror movie, and by the way I don't think they really suceed, it is a really good kids movie! Just enough excitement to keep anyone interested!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 17, 2009
There Goes The Neighborhood.