Critics Consensus: Monsters University is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got collegiate creatures (Monsters University, with voice work from Billy Crystal and John Goodman), worldwide walking dead (World War Z, starring Brad Pitt and Mireille Enos), and some juvenile jewel thieves (The Bling Ring, starring Emma Watson and Leslie Mann). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

King Crunk

King Crunk

Will probably wait for the home market to see Monster's University. Same for World War Z, which despite better than expected reviews, still has me severely disappointed that it basically is related to the book in concept and name only.

Jun 20 - 09:08 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Pixar was always in the '90s until Cars. They bounced back after that until Cars 2, and have been in the seventies since.

Jun 20 - 09:13 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Ah Monster's Inc. What a fantastic film. John Goodman really shined in that. I can't wait till my kids are old enough to understand how emotionally powerful that ending is. ..that or maybe I'm just a wuss ha ha ha.

Jun 21 - 06:33 AM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

finally seeing 'This Is The End' this weekend, I was too busy last weekend
and I'll have 3 movies to see this weekend too! :)
'Monsters University', 'World War Z' and 'The Bling Ring' finally at my theater

Jun 20 - 09:16 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Monsters Inc was not one of my favorite Pixar films. Better than Cars and Bugs Life, but not nearly as good as Ratatouille or Wall-E among others. I can wait for the Blu-ray/ streaming. It's surprising that I'm more excited for WWZ than a Pixar film, but Pixar seems to be in the stage where it feels passable movies are fine.

Jun 20 - 10:11 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I liked Monsters Inc better than Ratatouille only because I thought it balanced the fun aspect of the movie better whereas Ratatouille was better as a film it just had some elements that grated on me. I liked the voicework with the obvious exception of Ego, on Monsters Inc better too. I think all Pixar works are interesting studies in the adult and the childish to various degrees and I just liked the mix in Monsters better, but it's all just personal taste. I think that's why it's difficult to find two people with the same favorite Pixar movie. My personal favorite is Up.

Jun 20 - 10:57 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 20 - 10:57 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Brother the critics were wrong, suck it up and deal - the majority of viewers thought the movie was fine. You make it sound like being a movie critic takes any skill at all besides being able to type.

Jun 20 - 11:00 PM

This comment has been removed.

This comment has been removed.

Daryl Nobbs

Daryl Nobbs

Only two sequels? Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, Cars 2 and now Monster's University. The Toy Story sequels were incredible though.

Jun 21 - 02:13 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I'm still under the impression that these are not just cash grabs....because I just feel like if they were pounding out cash grab sequels we would be up to The Incredibles part 4 by now.

Jun 21 - 06:31 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Yeah I agree. They are not half as bad as Dreamworks. Also a Incredibles sequel is what I want most of all.

Jun 22 - 03:37 PM

Nellie  D.

Nellie Dolly

Are you tired of going office daily? Now you can work at home with Google and make your own hours. This is not scam. On Saturday I got a gorgeous Ariel Atom after earning $6292 this ? four weeks past. I began this six months/ago and right away began to make at least $80.. per-hour. this really is the most financially rewarding Ive had. I work through this link, www.Bling6.com

Jun 27 - 12:39 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

After that Finding Nemo 2.

Jun 21 - 10:26 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

The name is Finding Dory.

Jun 21 - 10:45 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Same shit.

Jun 21 - 04:30 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Haha. Ok then. Mr. Grumpy.

Jun 22 - 03:31 PM

Spencer Kain

Spencer Kain

I'm very excited for MU, I know critics don't feel the same way as past ones, I didn t like Cars 2, but I did like Brave. So ill see MU. Ill also be seeing WWZ

Jun 20 - 11:34 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Interesting. Pixar delivers the first animated film of the year to be certified fresh and they're considered to be in a slump. Other animated studios must be looking at them with envy. I think the score for Monsters University isn't that surprising. From the trailers it looked like it would be a lot of fun but wouldn't approach the emotional heights of Up, Toy Story 3 or even the original Monsters Inc. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, especially as I think critics hold Pixar to a higher standard than other animated studios and if one their films dissapoints they're tougher on it than they would be if said film wasn't from Pixar (for example, I don't think Cars 2 was anywhere near as bad as Shark Tale and Chicken Little, while I thought Brave was easily better than Princess and the Frog).

World War Z is the big surprise. Honestly, everything about the film from turning the thoughtful premises of the book to a standard race against time to the third act having to be completely rewritten to all the reports about the conflict between the star and director to the delayed release date and budget spiriling out of control to a director who only seemed to do good in small drama films seemed to suggest that this was a disaster in the making and yet it's actually earning better reviews than Man of Steel? And it's reportedly tracking for a 40 to 50 mil OW. Talk about defying the odds.

Is it just me of does it seem like Sofia Coppola loves to sell the sex appeal of her actresses? The opening of Lost and Translation where the camera zoomed in on Scarlett Johansson's but, Kirsten Dunst lying naked on a bed with a fan and now Emma Watson pole dancing.

Jun 21 - 12:21 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Do you think Sophia Coppola is somehow unique in her sexualization of her characters, or are you applying a double standard to the way Scarlett Johansson' booty massage was filmed by Woody Allen, or how Kirsten Dunst was also shot nude by Lars Von Trier?

The "Bling Ring" does seem like the first of her films where she isn't interested in empathizing with her female characters.

Jun 21 - 09:51 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I wasn't saying she was unique in that or using it as a point of negativity about her films, just that, I don't know, I guess I find it easier picturing a male director saying "okay, for the opening shot of my film I want the camera to focus on Johansson's butt" than a female director.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Coppola is like Michael Bay or anything. Heck, I'm actually more interested in The Bling Ring than World War Z.

Jun 22 - 08:45 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sophia Coppola filmed some rock'n side boob of Scarlet Johanson also in "Lost in Translation" Dont' forget that Janson.

Jun 22 - 12:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Never. Sophia Coppola is not a nun, and I don't see why it's odd that she can show her actresses in sexy ways.

Jun 22 - 03:20 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

She definitely isn't a nun. Nun's of course have an order and a method. Sophia seems to be a lot like a Junk yard dog. Scary to everybody! Those brave enough to go near the Junk Yard dog though will see it's kind of like every other Dog and the Junk Yard isn't that bad.

Marie Antoinette was one of the most boring films I have ever seen though and I have not dipped my toes into a sophia film since.

Jun 22 - 06:00 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Marie Antoinette" was my least favorite of her films. "Somewhere" had some interesting things, but it's a poor little brother to "Translation", still her finest film.

Jun 22 - 08:08 PM

Willem DaPerson

Willem DaPerson

Hey, Princess and the Frog was much better than Brave. Okay, I can understand where you're coming from, but at least Princess and the Frof had something resembling depth, or heart. Brave was a bad attempt at making out as though Pixar had scaled the emotional heights of Toy Story 3 or Up again.

Jun 21 - 10:38 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I thought Princess and the Frog was a charming little film, but it lacked any edge to it. It felt like it was aimed squarely a little girls without much appeal outside that audience. Both the characters and the dialogue came off as kind of juvenile ("Don't make me light my but"? A character making a big dramatic scene over a little cut? Is that really the best you've got for humor?) Also with Louis and Ray it felt like they were trying too hard to make them the scene-stealing side characters Disney animated films are known for.

With Brave, Elinor as a bear was able to get much more laughs from me than Louis and Ray combined. I loved how they chose not to give her any dialogue and relied on facial expressions instead. King Fergus was also hilarious, while I also liked the darker edge Brave had to its story. It also did a much better job at standing out from other disney fairytales. Not only was there no love interest but the film wasn't so much about the main character breaking tradition as it was a touching story about a mother and daughter bonding (and unlike so many other movies, BOTH mother and daughter realized they were wrong and changed over the course of the film rather than the usual parent being completely unreasonable).

Yes, it doesn't quite reach the emotional heights of Up and Toy Story 3, but I still think that the film would have been seen as a triumph had it come from any other studio.

Jun 22 - 08:38 AM

Willem DaPerson

Willem DaPerson

Honestly, I think Brave was much more generic than people are saying. Once we learned that it was about a Mother-Daughter relationship, it became a bit of a borefest for me. Princess and the Frog on the other hand, for me, was a delightfully surprising film, and immensely enjoyable.

Jun 22 - 04:30 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I agree with Joseph. Brave wasn't bad but it seemed like a Dwight Eisner Disney Film. I say SCREW our traditions and we all act like AMERICANS! What say ye!! Then they all with resounding Hurrah talk about what american ways they would like to act here on out. It was like Aladdan and Mulan and Herculese and every alternate culture that Disney had Americanized in the bast all over again. I like all those movies mind you it was just kind of a shock a Pixar film used that formula.

Jun 22 - 06:04 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

So are the critics wrong about Twilight? Transformers II? Paranormal activity? All movie's that fans loved, but are just bad movies. People mistakenly think a critics sole job is to tell them if a movie's enjoyable, it's not. "The Majority of viewers thought the movie was fine". True, so did the majority of critics and that's what the movie was, fine. Just fine. Amazes me that someone with your attitude would come to a site who's central premise is to give a consensus on critical reviews for movies.

Jun 21 - 12:49 AM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

I'm pretty sure only 12% of people that watched those films enjoyed them. Critics gave PA3 a 70%.

Jun 21 - 01:58 AM

This comment has been removed.

Daryl Nobbs

Jun 27 - 12:39 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jun 21 - 06:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Does anybody remember if Clark or Lois got the Kryptonia UPS (I think they were calling it a Codex) back after she plugged it into Zod's ship so Ghost dad could help her escape? If she did get it back how could Ghost Dad have been there to tell clark to save everyone? Was there a point to Zod searching for the Codex after Lois just gives it to him on a Silver Platter? How come Ghost Dad can Star Trek Whoosh all the doors but not just shut down the entire ship? How did he know the way out? Are Krypton ships a lot like Targets? All the same in Floor plans? Anybody else like Krypton UPS more then Codex?

I wish I could see that first Flight scene in IMAX again...

Jun 21 - 06:38 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The Dialogue was perfect? "We have a child Zod! a Boy Child!" pffft. "I am a pulitzer Prize Winning journalist Perry and you can't fire me!" Pffft. Perry White wants proof of her snow rescuer? How about the Gruesome scar Lois! SHOW HIM OUR GRUESOME SCAR! Chasing the Urban Legends to track him down? A semi truck bent in half isn't an urban legend...its modern day Evidence. Oil Rig goes up in flames? Nobody filmed that? The coast guard wasn't filming that? You can't even fall down in a supermarket in todays day and age with out ending up on Youtube....OH yeah spot on Script!

Jun 21 - 06:41 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

This is surprising, I thought MU would be low sixties/high fifties.
Perhaps there's hope for Pixar even if Disney's forcing them to go the sequel route now.
That said, where's my Incredibles sequel? That's the only Pixar film that somehow set up a sequel.

Jun 21 - 06:41 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Man of steel was not that good and it has a fitting tomatometter. I'm pretty sure it won't stand the test of time as well as other movies, I guess we'll see how much staying power it has this weekend.

Jun 21 - 06:44 AM