Box Office Guru Wrapup: Monsters Leads Again, Heat Huge #2

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

SecondBest

This Guy

Saw WWZ this weekend, really fun movie. Hope it continues to do good.

Jun 30 - 03:06 PM

Wilhelm

Wil B.

Glad Monsters U is doing so well! It is Pixar's best in a couple years. I liked The Heat, but I didn't find it as funny as This is the End, or Bridesmaids.

Jun 30 - 03:44 PM

Vincent  F.

Vincent Fissore

Very happy for WWZ, which is basically becoming the "surprise hit" of the summer, especially after all that negative press that basically predicted a bomb of "John Carter" proportions. This title will be reserved for The Lone Ranger.

As for WHD, this should force Emmerich to pause for a second. His career has not specifically been positive ever since "2012" (and that counts his "departure" from his traditional territory with that little UFO called "Anonymous"), as this project was a sure loser, with a release placed some weeks after MOS and only months after a movie with a similar premise that became a sleeper hit.

Jun 30 - 04:10 PM

Val Mordas

Actually the surprise on WWZ was that it wasn't a total failure. It wasn't anything special either, unfortunately.

Jun 30 - 05:46 PM

Vincent  F.

Vincent Fissore

True, but even with that being taken into account, the financial success is quite impressive. 60+ million debut, highest weekend for Brad Pitt... It is much better than the "John Carter" disaster some were foreseeing...

Jun 30 - 07:08 PM

Dave J

Yeah, I agree "World War Z" was pretty good and it deserves the success that it does since his family that is portrayed in this film almost feels like a mirror image of his own- the parentless kid that he took under his wing, looking after his two other biological daughters as well as his wife!

Jul 2 - 11:13 AM

Jun 30 - 05:46 PM

Vincent  F.

Vincent Fissore

Jun 30 - 07:08 PM

Jul 2 - 11:13 AM

Onion Rovirosa

Onion Rovirosa

Monsters U is my fav movie of the summer!

Jun 30 - 06:00 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Glad White House Down did not meet expectations. Emmerich needs some fail in his career, and Hollywood needs to stop trying to sell the same movie rebranded to audiences.

Jun 30 - 06:24 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The "comedy" in the trailers looked so stale.

Jun 30 - 09:19 PM

Val Mordas

White House Down gets a Cinemascore of A-? Shows you how completely worthless that whole system is. Who did they poll, retarded kids?

Jun 30 - 06:41 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Cinemascore is not how good a movie is, it's how the movie met the audiences expectations. Emmerich is a lot of things, unpredictable is not one of them, so it's not surprising the movie got a decent cinemascore since it's basically what? The 4th or 5th iteration of Independence Day from him?

Jun 30 - 08:14 PM

Val Mordas

So if you expect it to be shitty, and it is shitty, its gets an A?

Jul 1 - 04:24 AM

Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton

If people like what they saw, it gets an A. This really isn't that complicated.

Jul 1 - 08:37 AM

Exactly. Fucking Mongoloids.

Jul 1 - 12:25 PM

spatterson205

Shane Patterson

Geez dude. Lightin' up. it's just a popcorn flick to take a date on when you're young. Have the girl jump on your arm a couple of times. Didn't you do that? Not everything is The Godfather, and it shouldn't be. There is a place for silly fun and a place for high cinematic art.

Jul 2 - 07:42 AM

Tavon N.

Tavon Nichols

So no one has opinions, huh?

Jul 1 - 12:15 AM

Esteban Martinez

According to Val Mordas he's the only one allowed to have one.

Jul 1 - 06:41 AM

Val Mordas

You are allowed to have opinions, by all means, and I have the right to dismiss it as preposterous.

Jul 1 - 12:26 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Val is a decent fellow...... when he isn't bullying me.

Jul 1 - 12:34 PM

Paul Barrett

I saw WHD. I'm far from a retarded kid, and I enjoyed the movie quite a lot. Yeah, it's predictable overall, but it did have a couple of surprises which made it rise just a bit above the average. Was it a great movie? Nah. Did I have fun? Sure did.

Jul 1 - 09:16 AM

Val Mordas

Would you give it an A cinemascore? You know, the rating which is supposed to denote that a movie is very good?

Jul 1 - 01:12 PM

Paul Barrett

Not an A, but certainly a solid B. It's really what a summer popcorn movie is supposed to be, to me.

Jul 2 - 09:01 AM

Madison Ramey

Madison Ramey

So you're to blame for all the mediocre crap Hollywood puts out?

Jul 1 - 01:51 PM

Paul Barrett

Yes, me and me alone. My master plan is working. Bwahhahaha.

Jul 2 - 09:01 AM

Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister

How close is it to Olympus Has Fallen?

Jul 1 - 02:28 PM

Paul Barrett

Haven't seen Olympus Has Fallen, so can't really say. But I'm not sure why people get so up in arms about this sort of thing. It's the nature of the way Hollywood works, unfortunately, that the ideas seem to show up in cycles. Just like when we had the two asteroid movies and the two volcano movies that came out so close to each other. It will continue to happen. Just because movies are similar doesn't mean they can't both be good (or bad) in their own way. No since in comparing them to each other.

Jul 2 - 09:03 AM

Val Mordas

It's not that I'm up in arms about Hollywood releasing lame movies, that's never going to change. The whole point was, you're honestly going to come out of a movie like that and grade it on an 'A' scale? We (I hope) all know what really good films are, and it pains me to think that America is so used to being fed shit that as long as it's hot shit they will eat it and give a thumbs up.

Jul 2 - 12:52 PM

Paul Barrett

I think you have to take Cinemascore or any movie exit poll with a grain of salt. The movie was very rousing and patriotic with a feel-good ending, so I could easily see people leaving and in the heat of the moment giving it an A, simply because they were pumped up from seeing such a fun movie. Upon reflection, they probably would have given it a lower grade. And I do think a movie can be bad and still be entertaining taken on its own terms.

Jul 2 - 03:44 PM

Dave J

Val, not everything you like is perfectly spot on and is aligned the same as the critics because if it is then that is robotic because everybody including you also consist to have some guilty pleasures! I mean, while you like "The Man Of Steel" the critics say otherwise! So when are movie critics wrong about a film is when you say so even when you haven't even seen it yet simply doesn't make any sense because you're obviously forgetting that you can't judge a book by it's cover!

Jul 2 - 04:06 PM

Duddy112

Fuddy Duddy

Sometimes a stupid movie is just a stupid movie. Emmerich wanted to make some dumb fun movie and he failed. That despicable me 2 is going make shit ton of money it will definitely be number 1 next week.

Jun 30 - 06:48 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

It's official, Melissa McCarthy is a serious boxoffice draw.

And audiences would rather see an R-rated Gerard Butler Die Hard rip-off than a PG-13 Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx Die Hard rip-off with the exact same plot.

Jun 30 - 06:52 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I think Gerard Butler is just more Charismatic. When he kills people on Screen you believe it, Channing Tatum oozes PG-13 and Jamie Fox as the President? Seriously? He looks way to young!

Jul 1 - 02:47 AM

Paul Barrett

But Tatum actually made a pretty respectable action hero. Hopefully he'll get a chance to do some more.

Jul 1 - 09:17 AM

You're kidding I hope.

Jul 1 - 12:31 PM

Paul Barrett

No, I'm not kidding at all. In the right role, Tatum does a fine job. He was funny in 21 Jump Street, and he was funny and acceptable in White House Down. I work with actors and considering the way films are made, it's a miracle that they can do as good a job as they do. It's not an easy thing. Will he ever be an Olivier or Brando. Probably not, but he's certainly better than a lot of people trying to pass as action actors (I'm looking at you, Taylor Lautner)

Jul 2 - 09:07 AM

Dave J

Lautner doesn't even come close to Channing Tatum as much of his roles are 'adult' oriented! If you had said Lautner is like a Justin Timberlake then I'd might've agreed with you!

Jul 2 - 11:23 AM

Paul Barrett

Not quite sure what you mean. I would actually consider Timberlake the better actor, but certainly not the better action star. But that's just me.

Jul 2 - 03:46 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I'm with DAVE J which is why I would always go with Gerard Butler. Dude is a Rated R Action Hero while Tatum is more of a "oh he's in this too? That's fine I guess" action hero.

Jul 2 - 04:19 PM

Dave J

I'm not arguing about who's the better actor, I'm just saying that a high percentage of Tatum's films are intended for a mature audience- "Magic Mike", "The Eagle", "28 Jump Street" and "Haywire" to me are not PG 13 movies in the same realm as the "Twilight" movies! Tatum is "not" playing many pretty boy heart throb type of roles, but then again I haven't seen everything he's been in and I'm sure "The Vow" sucked!

Jul 2 - 04:21 PM

Gotcha, Dave.

Jul 2 - 08:06 PM

Vincent  F.

Vincent Fissore

Jun 30 - 07:08 PM

Jul 2 - 11:13 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 30 - 08:14 PM

Val Mordas

So if you expect it to be shitty, and it is shitty, its gets an A?

Jul 1 - 04:24 AM

Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton

If people like what they saw, it gets an A. This really isn't that complicated.

Jul 1 - 08:37 AM

Exactly. Fucking Mongoloids.

Jul 1 - 12:25 PM

spatterson205

Shane Patterson

Jul 2 - 07:42 AM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I have yet to see Monsters University but I'm glad it's doing well. I saw World War Z on Friday night and I really enjoyed it. I'm happy that it's raking in some dough. Despicable Me 2 will probably rule the Fourth of July weekend box office next week and I can see The Lone Ranger opening to disappointing numbers.

Jun 30 - 09:00 PM

Vincent  F.

Vincent Fissore

I am feeling Lone Ranger will bomb as strongly as John Carter did back at the time...

Jun 30 - 11:11 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

There is no way it can possibly be worse then Alice in Wonderland. Johnny Depp made that movie so much freaking money. I think the same will happen with The Lone Ranger.

Jul 1 - 05:49 AM

Sam Denyer

Sam Denyer

It'll be an Oz I think. Popular with the public and only moderately admired by critics.

Jul 1 - 08:08 AM

Lyle Bandoquillo

Lyle Bandoquillo

I have ZERO interest in Lone Ranger but I think Johnny Depp will rake in a good chunk of $$$ for that film so it won't be a total bomb like John C. And Gore Verbinski has a fairly decent track record. Disney just chose an odd/super-outdated TV show to refurbish for 21st century audiences...

Jul 1 - 09:57 AM

Esteban Martinez

Agreed. Lone Ranger has bomb written all over it.

Jul 1 - 06:42 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

You'll see. No matter how horrible the film, Johnny Depp movies do not bomb.

Jul 1 - 09:22 AM

Bradly,
Secret Window disappointed domestically.
The Libertine made only 10 mill. on a budget of 20 mill.
The Rum Diary? Made 24 mill on a budget of 45 mill.
Dark Shadows? 150 mill budget and it only made money on international grosses as it was a flop domestic.

Johnny's got his share of bombs. Not hating on him or anything as I do like him on other movies, but he, like Will Smith, is not invincible.

I'm calling it, Lone Ranger wins the weekend then drops like a rock.

Jul 1 - 11:43 AM

Val Mordas

I used to like Depp before he starting taking all these degrading roles. He looks like an idiot as Tonto. These films are being marketed to kids, and adults will probably bring them to see it - that and it's a big movie weekend traditionally - I really can't see it being a total failure, in a financial sense anyway. I can see it being a shit movie , though.

Jul 1 - 12:34 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

ah ha Ha Esteban but you forget. Secret Window, THe Libertine, The Run Diary...these are all characters that are actual people. These are not the WILD AND CRAZY HILARIOUS AND ECCENTRIC Johnny Depp Fair. International Grosses still count as Grosses. If it wasn't for International Grosses Man of Steel would be a respectable super hero effort that in no way could hold a candle to Avengers.

Johnny Depp in Full make up and weirdo derp mode with Gorgeous GQ White guy has just to much potential to make millions. It's gonna be huge.

Jul 1 - 04:14 PM

King  S.

King Simba

To be honest, July looks like it could be a month of bombs. Disney has done all they can with marketing Lone Ranger, but that 250 mil price tag means its going to take a miracle for it to break even. It's best hope was that it would generate strong word of mouth like what happened with Curse of the Black Pearl but early reviews suggest that's not going to happen. And as much as I'm looking forward to Pacific Rim, anticipation for it outside of science fiction geeks seems to be pretty low (it's currently tracking for an opening weekend in the low 30 mils, lower than the tracking for Grown Ups 2. Now that's just sad). Seems like Warner Bros. really dropped the ball on marketing the film by selling it to people who were already going to see it based on the premises and director alone.

of course, at least those two movies have some buzz behind them, unlike R.I.P.D, which has almost no buzz and a surprisingly large budget (some reports have it costing between 150-200 mil. Sure doesn't look like it from the trailers).

Jul 1 - 11:29 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Concerning Pacific Rim, you should read this:

It looks like the behind-the-scenes drama between WB and Legendary is fueling the rumors of the film flopping. Not that this has to do anything with the film being bad, but WB doesn't want Legendary to have another big hit because they refused to renegotiate the distribution fees with Thomas Tull. Since WB is only invested in a portion of the film, they're willing to let it flop to send a blow to their partner that they've just had a falling out with. It's a damn shame, but this is why WB is fucking up the marketing.

Jul 1 - 12:24 PM

Val Mordas

I just saw a prime time commercial for Pacific Rim on the Ninja Warrior show (NBC), I'm not sure how you intentionally fuck up marketing besides not doing any.

Jul 1 - 05:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I think it's safe to assume that Ninja Warrior involves the film's built-in fan base.

Jul 1 - 07:39 PM

Val Mordas

You got something against Del Toro?

Jul 1 - 07:59 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Not at all. I've loved his previous movies and as I've said before I'm really looking forward to Pacific Rim, I just don't think they've done a good job selling it. I mean let's be honest, aside from Del Toro's name what exactly has the film done to distinguish itself from say Battleship? Yes, I'm sure the film will have a much better story and characters, but so far none of the trailers have suggested that.

Yes, yes, I know box office does not equal quality and who cares how well this film does as long at its good? But the thing is this could really hurt Del Toro's career if it bombs, as the blame will probably be put on him not the marketing team.

Jul 2 - 01:41 AM

Val Mordas

That was aimed at Janson.

Jul 2 - 12:48 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

? Why would you ask? The answer is "no", which is why "Pacific Rim" is one of the few summer blockbusters I'm anticipating this year. And it's why it would be unfortunate if WB was deliberately shooting themselves in the foot in order to prove a point in negotiating with Legendary Pictures. (The article includes a link to how WB also wanted "Inception" to bomb for similar reasons; it's worth reading.)

Jul 2 - 02:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The "comedy" in the trailers looked so stale.

Jun 30 - 09:19 PM

Vincent  F.

Vincent Fissore

Jun 30 - 11:11 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jul 1 - 05:49 AM

Sam Denyer

Sam Denyer

Jul 1 - 08:08 AM

Lyle Bandoquillo

Lyle Bandoquillo

Jul 1 - 09:57 AM

Esteban Martinez

Agreed. Lone Ranger has bomb written all over it.

Jul 1 - 06:42 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

You'll see. No matter how horrible the film, Johnny Depp movies do not bomb.

Jul 1 - 09:22 AM

Bradly,
Secret Window disappointed domestically.
The Libertine made only 10 mill. on a budget of 20 mill.
The Rum Diary? Made 24 mill on a budget of 45 mill.

I'm calling it, Lone Ranger wins the weekend then drops like a rock.

Jul 1 - 11:43 AM

Jul 1 - 12:34 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jul 1 - 04:14 PM

Tavon N.

Tavon Nichols

So no one has opinions, huh?

Jul 1 - 12:15 AM

Esteban Martinez

According to Val Mordas he's the only one allowed to have one.

Jul 1 - 06:41 AM

Jul 1 - 12:26 PM

OG Cutler

Cutler's 5th Account

Val is a decent fellow...... when he isn't bullying me.

Jul 1 - 12:34 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships