Monsters University Reviews

July 6, 2012
After seeing 'Frozen', 'The Lego Movie' and 'How to Train Your Dragon 2', my admiration for this movie has diminished severely. But hey, it was fun while it lasted.
February 1, 2014
For the children a morality tale told cute about never giving up, perserverence. For the teens to adults crowd eplentiful (yet little) jokes referencing school days, sold with familiar, if cartoon, faces and voices. All in all not a bad way to spend some time though nowhere near the masterpiece Toy Story 3 turned out to be.
366weirdmovies
December 16, 2013
Dedicated but not-very-scary monster Mike teams up with a frightening but undisciplined Sully and a team of misfits to win the Monsters University scare games and earn a spot in the Scaring Program. It's basically Pixar's Monsters version of REVENGE OF THE NERDS, but it's a pleasant diversion.
December 3, 2013
Though nowhere near the power of Up and The Incredibles, Monsters University is still enjoyable, lively, charming, and chalk-full of typical, well-timed Pixar humor. Some of the characters are not as engaging nor as memorable as those in other Pixar efforts, and the plot is derivative of other college movies. But besides these flaws, it's worth seeing for any Pixar fans.
skactopus
December 4, 2013
Monsters University is a well put together film from Dan Scanlon.The introduction of this 90 minute monster extravaganza is simply adorable. A young Mike Wazowski grabs attention and while the film may loosen the grip a bit, it never lets go the rest of the way. The story plays out nicely with a solid cast of characters to play it out.The humor is subtle and effective. This isn't a laughing machine of a picture, but it has its moments of laughter when warranted. Visually, Monsters University is crisp and clear with vibrant colors to dazzle the eyes.Billy Crystal and John Goodman reprise their roles. No arguments here. Steve Buscemi, Helen Mirren, among others, fill out the rest of the monster cast without disappointment.Once the scare games have come to a close, Monsters University lives up to its title and comes out as a great watch.
May 16, 2011
I found this movie to be a worthwhile, and enjoyable, prequel to "Monsters Inc." Billy Crystal, and John Goodman, have great chemistry together, and make the movie very enjoyable. As usual, Pixar's computer animation looked great. Good job, even though it did take them many years to get around to making it...
September 8, 2013
The prequel to Pixar's 2001's roaring-CGI-concoction is fun and entertaining. Even though it doesn't measure to the amount of sentimentality or heartfelt nature from Inc. Monsters University is still able to deliver visually and harmoniously. The film's charm and modernization is a slight boost to propel Pixar from some of its slight slumps over last few years. 4/5
MANUGINO
April 17, 2011
School Never Looked This Scary.

Monsters University is a great film. It's both funny and sentimental in all the right places. Fans of the first movie will see a lot of cameos in this one. The story ends when Monsters Inc. begins. I will even advise the next generation to see Monsters University first and then go on to Monsters Inc.

Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan are an inseparable pair, but that wasn't always the case. From the moment these two mismatched monsters met they couldn't stand each other. "Monsters University" unlocks the door to how Mike and Sulley overcame their differences and became the best of friends.
October 10, 2013
The boys are back in town only its not a sequel but a prequel and we gonna see how 'Mike' and 'Sulley' became friends. Yep its back to school for this next adventure into the world of scaring.

Mike is off to Monsters University to become a scarer, only problem is he's not very scary, but he's book smart, so he learns all he can on the art of scaring. Sulley is a bit of a jock and thanks to his privileged family background he has a good reputation and following. He's a good scarer and indeed scary but not so book smart, so in essence these guys need each other. Even more so after getting kicked off the scaring programme they must both work together with a team of nerds to win the scare games and get back into the scare programme (the word 'scare' is used by the bucket load in this).

My initial thoughts on this were skeptical I admit, another prequel which seems to be the trend these days, why not a straight forward sequel. These thoughts were virtually obliterated as Mike jumps off the bus and enters into the Uni. Do I really need to talk about visuals here? one word...awesome! these animated films just get better and better. Everything just looks so damn real! the slimy monsters look slimy, the furry ones look perfectly furry, everything has such a solid realistic sense and weight about them its fantastic. The colours are bright, bold, vivid and gosh darn beautiful.

On top of that the detail here is astounding, everywhere you look in each frame or scene there is something going on. Of course being set within a school there is plenty to create, plenty of visual gags, homages, in-jokes, parodies etc...the possibilities are pretty endless and sure enough its all covered here. Yeah sure a lot of it is cheesy and cliched, we've seen many of these high school-like pranks and party scenarios with jocks and dweebs before, its an old concept, but it all looks good enough to eat.

Its actually pretty cool to see a very young Mike Wazowski, he looks so adorable, I really felt sorry for the little guy when he gets pushed around. Once he's grown up a bit and voiced by Crystal that cuteness falls by the wayside but never mind. I really liked all the other characters in the school, it must have been hard to create so many unique looking creatures, there are some that look a bit lame, a bit similar, a bit Dino-esque but in general a nice selection. The middle aged textile salesman monster 'Don Carlton' was a great little creation although he does look somewhat like Mario.

I really did like some of the fraternity monsters especially, the monster that looked like an eagle with horns and his mohawk/mullet-like hair. I also liked how they came up with stereotypical types of monsters which parody reality...the goth/emo kids, the girly cheerleader types, the porky kids, the poindexters etc...I REALLY liked the brief appearance of the scream can design teacher haha like an overly hairy Muppet. It was also cool to see 'Randall' back as for some reason I didn't expect to see this guy. So not only do we get to see how Mike and Sulley become friends we also see how Randall comes to hate Sulley.

The scare games predictably do go the way you know they're gonna go, but the finale scaredown is cool and fun to watch. What I liked is the actual ending to the film doesn't play out as you'd expect, there is a little twist and the good guys don't totally win in every way you'd expect them too...which is cool.

There are absolutely tonnes of good morals, good values and good lessons to be learnt in this film, a great motivational spirit lifter for all ages (especially the younger gen of course). Maybe a little bit more for the kids this time but still thoroughly entertaining, the perfect underdog story, or should that be undermonster? zing!.
July 23, 2013
I feared Pixar had finally spoiled their creative touch and had come down with a terrible case of sequelitis... but then I actual saw "Monsters University." This film is a joy to experience from beginning to end. It's utterly gorgeous on a technical level sure, but it also transcends the various cliches that could have been with such a touched- on premise. The result is a special film that more than does the terrific "Monsters Inc" justice.
July 21, 2013
A really thrilling prequel, always funny and exciting, that takes the clichéd premise of overcoming our own limits and turns it into endless fun - and it will leave you sure that Pixar is finally back on track after its two previous weak, forgettable entries.
February 13, 2013
Expectations too high on this, methinks. Cute, but a little boring.
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ June 3, 2011
Funnier than the original! And the most wonderful thing was this movie is truly accurate and a great prequel or introduction to 'Monsters, Inc'
Dr114
May 6, 2013
Not Pixar's best, but I didn't expect it to be. Monsters University is clever and fun to watch. But ultimately: It's too safe. It may be a while until Pixar is back in full form to when they made emotional and powerful animations that were controversial. But for now this works as an enjoyable family film that does no harm. Monsters Inc is one of my favorite Pixar films. It wasn't a laugh out loud riot, but there were some very funny parts and I liked some of the new characters they added in. Overall: Better than Cars 2 and Brave, but not the most memorable film to come from Pixar. Letter Grade: B-
TheDudeLebowski65
June 28, 2013
Prequel to Monsters Inc, Monsters University is a fun and entertaining animated features that successfully gives a more in depth story to the original film. Pixar delivers a great movie, and one that is sure to delight fans of Monsters Inc. John Goodman ND Billy Crystal return as Mike and Sully. The film has a good story and is a very funny film that is yet another worthwhile Pixar film. This is wonderful entertainment that is sure to delight viewers of all ages. The script is well written, the humor is nonstop, and it is a fine prequel that has the rare aspects of being one of the few very good prequels that isn't a dull, misguided picture. Pixar always delivers some stunning movies, and I've enjoyed everything that I've seen by them. Monsters University is for me anyways on par with Monsters Inc. and it is the best animated feature of the year thus far. If you loved the original, you're sure going to enjoy this one. The animation is wonderful as usual and the voice cast does a great job at bringing the characters to life. This is a fun picture worth seeing and no matter what age you are, this film has something for everyone. With Pixar's Brave, they made a good film, but it lacked something really special. However with Monsters University, they deliver something that is charming and amusing. This movie is a well thought prequel that you can appreciate due to the fact that it has all the fun of Monsters Inc. and it successful expands on the series. Give it a shot if you enjoy animated movies, you'll be presently surprised at how good it is.
June 27, 2013
"Monster's University" follows the beloved characters from the original film as they are younger and learning to become the scarer's we know them to be in "Monster's Inc." It may not have all of the originality that the original picture had, but the jokes are still in top form, the animation is even more beautiful, and the story has a little more to it than you would expect, but that's Pixar for you. As we follow Mike and Sully through University, through every problem and rivalry they have to face, the film becomes darker and darker until reaching it's boiling point, when all tensions are finally released. There are many throwbacks to the first which was a very nice touch, and the way they show post-secondary school to young kids is something that has never been done before, and I admired that greatly. This is a very very good little animated picture that I will have absolutely no problem returning to. It's not perfect, but it's definitely better than some of Pixar's recent entries. "Monster's University" get's a very very solid B+ from me!
½ June 26, 2013
****1/2
First, I love "Monsters Inc.", and pretty much all the other Pixar movies. So, I was pretty stoked to see this prequel. Adding to the fun was taking my 2 year old to his very first movie. I'm proud to say he did awesome. Watched the entire movie, didn't fuss and cry, just laughed and was thoroughly entertained. If he were to write a review it would thumbs up all the way. I also loved it. I actually liked it more than the original, but that's probably because it's geared towards adults more with some of the humor. Prequels usually never exceed expectation, but this is the exception. Here Mike and Sully are in college at Monsters University, working their way towards future jobs with Monsters Inc. Basically, they are in a loser type fraternity and have to compete against the other fraternities on campus for shots back in the scare program(they got kicked out after a fight). It's the exact same premise as "Revenge of the Nerds" or this months "The Internship". Group of misfits overcoming big odds. But, it works like a charm with all the humor and especially the heart of a Pixar/Disney movie. We went with all my in-laws and we all laughed our butts off the entire movie. This is the perfect Summer family movie, if you wanna take kids to the movies.
June 24, 2013
Though it's story may not be as clever as it's predecessor partner film, 'Monster's University' is every as fun and engaging. Interesting plot and brilliant references to higher education, Pixar have created yet another film that can be appreciated by children and adults alike.