Monte Carlo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Monte Carlo Reviews

½ May 16, 2011
Pretty cute lighthearted teenager filled rom-com...
April 7, 2012
Okay movie for tween girls to watch. (I can't imagine it's appeal would go too much further than that). Young cast are all good here in a far fetched little story about mistaken identity. Not something I would watch again, or was anxious to see in the first place, but pleasant enough use of an hour and a half. I think the scenery around Paris was actually more interesting than the thin little plot, but for what it is, it's okay. It's extremely Disney (I have no idea if it is Disney or not, or it just comes across like it). Happy ending for all.
MANUGINO
May 8, 2011
Three young women vacationing in Paris find themselves whisked away to Monte Carlo after one of the girls is mistaken for a British heiress.

Good movie. I enjoyed it pretty nice, although the main idea of the story was not original in a way nevertheless the story plays out well and spot on. Great young cast with potential.

A young woman, her uptight step sister and her best friend use their savings for a long anticipated dream trip to Paris, which turns out to be a big disappointment. When they decide to take a break from their lousy tour and duck into the lobby of a luxury hotel, one of them is mistaken for a spoiled British heiress. Before they get the chance to reveal their true identities they are wrapped up in misadventures during a vacation to Monte Carlo instead.
½ August 19, 2011
I saw this film by chance. It wasn't really geared for my demographic; so if I had been a 12 y.o. girl I would have rated this much higher.
The film ran like a Disney teen sitcom. The main character has problems at home and she's graduating high school. Looking forward to a trip to Paris where things don't go as planned.
Then theres a love interest for each of the leading ladies, and because they each found a man there's a happy ending. Very typical, but your teenage daughter will eat it right up.
½ July 2, 2011
The movie took 45 minutes to actually get to the titular location...and yet, I didn't want the exposition to end! Upon seeing the movie poster, I wondered what 18-year-old Selena Gomez was doing in a buddy movie with two older actresses, but the relationship between them and each of their intricate pasts is actually revealed pretty evenly.

(*Spoiler Alert* Grace is a small-town bumpkin of sorts, whose best friend is an of-legal-age, stuck-in-a-rut waitress, who was high school rivals with Grace's stepsister, who's dealing with my-mom-died baggage. Are we up to speed now?)

There are some genuinely nice sisterhood of traveling pants moments - literally (ALL the dresses in Cordelia's luggage fitting ALL the girls?) and figuratively (Emma and Meg gushing about their respective beaux).

Selena Gomez does better than Miley Cyrus, carrying her first lead movie role, but methinks she needs to work on her "regular face" a little more. I have trouble working my own dead face, so I can't really judge her, but when she plays "regular girl," she gets extremely flat. Only when she's being awkward or snarky (like on "Wizards of Waverly Place") does her face shine. I guess it's lucky that her first lead movie role comes with a bitchy, British doppelganger. She is spot-on as Cordelia, the...well, bitchy, British doppelganger.

I've never been a fan of Leighton Meester, but I kind of get her appeal now. She's actually kinda funny and exuberant in a my-mom-died way.

Nerdy tidbit: All the place names look like they're written in the same font used in The 400 Blows. If you watch all the credits, you'll even see a quaint "FIN" at the end.
December 3, 2011
Monte Carlo is about three young women who are vacationing in Paris, when suddenly one of these girls (Grace) is mistaken for a heiress who just so happens to look like her. And instead of telling the truth about her identity, she and her friends decide to play along. They later find themselves in Monte Carlo, where they live a life of fame, love, richness, and pleasure.

If you are a fan of Selena Gomez, then this is probably why you are interested in seeing this movie. But is it really worth seeing this entire movie, just because Selena Gomez is in it? No. It is not. The story is not very interesting, and it is unoriginal as well. The screenplay is slow and extremely predictable. And another thing is that there seems to be no interesting characters, in a way they all share the same behavior which will give its viewers a suffering. It's nothing new, just an overly exaggerated love story. Cute guys over here, nice shoes over there, an "I love you" right over there, stylish clothing in the wardrobe. Well you get the picture. There are some charming moments though, charming moments in which will appeal to the "Chick-Flick" Lovers. Overall, this so called "Romantic Comedy" fails to bring both laughs, and romance. The only romance you'll find in here is completely silly, predictable, and very dull.
½ December 21, 2011
is it dreadful? yes. is it the worst i've seen? well i wouldn't go that far. it's not the worst i've seen in 2011, but it's not even close to good. i have to be honest that the situations are actually kinda funny and sometimes selena gomez can be funny at times. but that's what i can think of that's positive. the story is just random and thrown at you, it will be uneven and silly to you and it's can really be boring. personally, it's passable. D+
Angel G.
½ July 1, 2011
This movie is really soft, warm, and fuzzy, and has its moments, but its also silly, but Monte Carlo is more like a road trip, so go see this with a friend, it will be more enjoyble for you, its a fun road trip for everybody, for children, for adults, and for teens.
October 18, 2014
Stupid movie. Theirs a lot of traveling movies. Like Selena Gomez but terrible actor. Terrible disney movie.
April 30, 2011
It's maybe a film with a specific target audience, but there are appeals for the other audiences like the funny and the sightings bits, and watching the good and young Gomez from Disney's "Wizards." (B-)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)
July 16, 2011
A cliche-ridden rom-com featuring 3 young actresses (Gomez, Meester and Cassidy) trying their best to make it better than it is. The mistaken identity plot is just too contrived and convenient. The dialogue lacks sincerity, however the 3 leads grow and each finds love can conquer all. It's a bit too long, but Gomez becomes a better actress in each new role I see. Good enough for me.
August 31, 2013
A tween pleaser that's specifically made for the "Selenators" and viewers that are familiar with Gomez's Disney material.
March 15, 2013
I ??? this video! It has some drama and some awesome parts! It also has some romance in it that I bet I would like to see! I would rate this a 5 star movie!
½ January 17, 2012
Yes, this was campy as all get out, yes I could have told you the entire plot of the movie from the trailer, and yes it's improbable how they get out of it without being arrested. But you know what? It was still adorable and I was entertained for the entire movie. Isn't that considered job well done then? Like I said, it's all be done before, the mistaken identity, the falling in love with a man from Europe, the ending where all the characters somehow all end up in the same place at the most inconvenient time. But there was something about this movie that was a little different, basically, I didn't care as much how formulaic it was. I loved the trio of Selena Gomez, Leighton Meester, and Katie Cassidy. The three of them were a lot of fun to watch. Gomez did a really good job with the two different characters, I was impressed. There were shades of Blair Waldorf in Meester's character, so that was a lot of fun, and Cassidy plays the stereotypical small town American girl perfectly. Overall, this movie was adorable and a lot of fun to watch.
July 16, 2012
A bland story with a cliche character development and outcome. Teens might like it but I found it unwatchable at parts.
June 24, 2011
Monte Carlo is a predictable girly film that has a charm, but is covered with makeup and cheesiness.
April 8, 2012
This is, obviously, not going to win any awards. I don't even know if it will be remembered two years from now by anyone but the most slavishly devoted Selena Gomez fanatics. But that doesn't mean it's a bad movie. Yes, the plot is something of an Idiot Plot (not the most egregious of them, but it's still slightly irksome as I am not a twelve-year-old girl), but it does not come off as mean-spirited or tiresome to watch. This movie has its heart in a good place. In the end, while it boils down to being mostly just pretty to look at (pretty girls, pretty boys, pretty clothes, pretty scenery), it is not offensive to the mind. Which, if you look at many of the other movies targeted at the twelve-year-old girl audience, is a pretty good thing. The cast does a pretty good job with what they're given to work with (Selena Gomez's British accent is pretty lame though), and although I think it's extremely unlikely that she would be friends with Katie Cassidy, who is a fair bit older, their friendship is interesting because it's somewhat "different." All in all, it's light, fluffy, and sugary. Like a souffle, although probably less fattening to consume.
February 5, 2012
A super cute chick flick!!!! I enjoyed seeing Leighton Meester and Katie Cassidy together again!! From Gossip Girl to Monte Carlo, it was soooo fun!!! I thought Selina Gomez did really well!!! It was an overall very enjoyable movie and I really loved this movie. It was cute and fun!!
July 2, 2011
2 stars. I was forced to watch this movie and had no interest in seeing it. It's a teen family comedy that's watchable but the real audience is the female crowd. I did enjoy seeing the French locales.