19% Transcendence Apr 18

Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl Reviews

FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

October 5, 2011
Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl may be bit on the dated side and doesn't really look that good technically, but it's a great snapshot of a group of successful guys going out and playing the Hollywood crowds for a fun evening of nonsense comedy. The best moment has to be the Church Police sketch when Terry Jones begins laughing and can hardly contain himself, especially when his wig flies off. It's also fun to see Terry Gilliam get more involved with the group as well, even if he can't keep much of a straight either. It may not be perfect, but it's a fun little movie with familiar sketches and even some new material mixed in. All in all, very enjoyable.
Cassandra M

February 10, 2011
First of all; it's just amazing seeing the legendary Pythons performing the most popular sketches live, in front of a huge audience, similar to a music concert. The crowd is so into it, they seem to know the lines by heart. Still, they just love it and it makes for a very special event with a fantastic atmosphere.

My favourite sketch (and it IS hard to pick just one!) is the "Church Police" sketch. Why? Because the otherwise super-professional Pythons can't keep from laughing themselves as things go slightly wrong. Just look when Terry Jones' wig comes right off as he jumps... They crack up. I have never seen that happen before, and every time I see it I laugh so hard it hurts.

If you have never seen the TV-series before, this may not seem as all that much of a great movie. But being an almost fanatical fan of the Pythons, seeing these sketches live is a wholly enjoyable experience.

The only sad thing is that most of us never attended the bloody thing. Nonetheless, this is a must see.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
It?s one of those ?If only I had a time machine? gigs. Great stuff!
Lee K

January 3, 2009
I prefer the movies better, this is a movie too i know, however its their stand up routines.
Lauren D

October 22, 2007
It's Monty Python! Seriously, do you expect it to be anything but hilarious and awesome?
Christopher B

February 7, 2008
Hilarious. I watched this over and over when I was a kid, envious of all those lucky folks who got to see Python live. Very funny with great audience interaction. The Pythons prove that they're not only geniuses with TV, radio, movies and books but with live performance as well.
kenscheck
September 13, 2011
Monty Python shines in this live performance of some of their most famous sketches. They play well to an audience. Somehow they manage to perform these old well known and popular skits as if they were brand new, and they feel fresh after many years of performance. I still enjoy popping this one and enjoying a very solid performance from the group.
March 29, 2012
Even though I'm not a Monty Python fan, I would actually like to see a comedy play made by them. Some jokes were funny and the audience responded well.
January 25, 2010
What's not to love? Classic Python performed live. Would love to see this released in its original video format.
October 19, 2009
1982 live concert featuring Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin, Carol Cleveland and Neil Innes.

Monty Python performs various material, including several classic skits from their hit series Monty Python's Flying Circus.

to have been able to see these guys live! Eric, John, Michael and the boys are in top form. hilarious and just plain silly.

classic Python. ♥
July 17, 2009
I BEGGED my dad to take me to this show. Still sore about it. Oh well, I get to enjoy it on this DVD!
Gaylyn
February 21, 2009
ANYthing with the Python Boys is Awesome and you CAN"T go wrong!!! I've seen ALL their films many times and will see them many more!!!!!!!!!
gatrief13
October 2, 2007
Captures the mischief, mayhem and incredible stage presence of the live Pythons show excellently. The filming of this show captures some damned good laughs and memorable renditions of both classic and lesser-known routines.
May 10, 2007
Live At The Hollywood Bowl contains some classic skits that weren't on the series i.e. 'Sit On My Face', 'Leonardo & The Pope' among others.
June 14, 2013
Very funny, but is best for hardcore Monty Python fans.
PetrosTser
August 12, 2012
Typically witty stand-up comedy by the Pythons.
Pandy357
February 21, 2011
Similar to the "And Now for Something Completely Different" film only this time some of their best sketches were presented live with a cheering crowd ;)
Luc L.
October 26, 2010
Some famous sketches done live.
peter h.
July 1, 2010
What can i say a live show with monty python best flying cirucs skits ITS SO FUNNY ,FANTASTIC. 100%