Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

November 20, 2015
Two runaway kids in love is the basis of this Wes Anderson movie and it's fantastic. "Moonrise Kingdom" is clever, charming and quite witty and showcases many talents in a film that is not only visually beautiful, but also serves up a wonderful love story in the summer of 1965.
November 11, 2015
Well acted, brilliantly directed, interesting characters, and the use of a simple storyline made this film so great. It's a movie adults and children can enjoy. Things did get a little muddled up towards the end, and it's ending is not as grand as I hoped it would be. But, was a pleasure to see this film, and its possibly Wes Anderson's 2nd best movie.
May 29, 2013
Original with no wasted words, scenes, or movements. What a cast, you will get lost in this movie.
November 1, 2015
Wes Anderson's movies are full of life and color, and Moonrise Kingdom might be the most beautiful.
October 29, 2015
It is as if Moonrise Kingdom was directed by someone who paid no attention to the way movies have been directed in the past, the reason being is movies have traditionally been directed by hacks with a bottled up formula. This movie scouts bravely off into new territory. For example, no longer does a phone call split screen end when the phone call ends, he just keeps it going so you can see what both parties are up to after the call. Framing in each scene is meticulous and brilliant, obvious symmetry is not avoided but embraced. Just watch the first five minutes of the film and you will see that you are not in for a usual movie in any sense. The whole film: performances, script, lighting, the setting and the island itself, are wonderfully insane. Should be taught in film schools worldwide. I wish there were more than five stars to give it.
October 27, 2015
A let down for a Wes movie.
May 30, 2012
Awesomely orchestrated and beautifully interpreted, this movie takes you back to childhood and its magic. In addition to Wes Anderson universe, this is the kind of nostalgia you always look for and never forget.
February 11, 2015
a stars parade with cute kids.. mmh..
½ June 6, 2012
Wes Anderson's visual flair is at its best here, but his static direction and quirky storytelling simply aren't as exciting or amusing this time around. Undeniably good movie nevertheless.
½ October 18, 2015
Moonrise Kingdom was a tribute to an old school type of film and it was amazing. Moonrise Kingdom has almost gained a cult following and has almost created its own persona in the film industry and in my opinion it deserves it.

I must give applause to Wes Anderson to his directing skills in this movie. Every shot was aligned perfect and had a purpose. This movie told such a story and displayed such a personality through just the shots. The style of this movie also made it a must watch. The mix of comedy and drama is off the charts and creates such an unique feeling like no other.

There is not a single dull one dimensional character in this movie. Each character is one of a kind and just amazing. Sam and Suzy are absolutely amazing in this movie. They have such a chemistry and own every second of screen time they have. This movie has an almost enigma feel to it that cannot be described, this movie has that certain it factor that is so hard to achieve.

Moonrise Kingdom is a must see movie that I consider a true classic. Its truly a special movie that can never be recreated again.
October 3, 2015
Cute story about young love done Wes Anderson stylez. I liked it, but Grand Budapest Hotel remains my favorite.
October 13, 2015
A great film but not my favorite Wes Anderson. I need to rewatch it when my head is not hurting...but my main complaint was that the ending was too neat. Still, 4 stars, easily. A fun film to watch.
½ October 12, 2015
Nice story line where the nerd and the love find their ways. Strange characters, in a campy, funny, lovely kind of way. The hero couple moves and is on the move like love in time of war. Some effects are less than top notch but we like anyway.
October 12, 2015
Top notch cinematography. Brilliant in that respect. Interesting tale, although, to me, it seemed rather tedious at times.
½ January 3, 2014
It's a little overrated for me. I like the characters and the cinematography but the storyline will not have been bought by the audience if it weren't for the two in my opinion.
½ October 8, 2015
Even if Moonrise Kingdom had a listless, mind-numbing story, I still would've enjoyed watching it. It is simply a beautiful film. The shots are almost always symmetrical or otherwise and aesthetically mesmerizing and to watch the camera perfectly maneuver between one intricate set after another is equally impressive. The story is a little quirky, but it's also a lot of fun. The actors do a very good job making the movie light hearted and whimsical.
August 15, 2013
Really enjoyed it, but my viewing was marred by technical difficulties. Needs a re-watch.
October 6, 2015
Wes Anderson is at his usual quirky nature, fortunately the result is both sweet and honest.
October 2, 2015
There are no reasons not to fall in love with Fantastic-Mr-Fox-ised Melody.
September 25, 2015
This film seems to have passed largely under the radar, unlike Wes Anderson's next movie, Grand Budapest Hotel. Which is odd, considering how it's in this film that Anderson's unique style and technique is finally moulded into something coherent and brilliant. All of the hallmarks that made Budapest Hotel so Grand are here - the absurdist comedy and idiosyncratic characters from The Darjeeling Limited - the miniatures and detailed set design from Life Aquatic - even the narrative style from Royal Tenenbaums - all of these little quirks from his previous movies, all finally fit together like one big puzzle, to form something beautiful, memorable, and utterly hilarious.

Moonrise Kingdom is a comedy without jokes. The subject matter would be serious, if it weren't presented in such a way that constantly holds a mirror up to itself to recognise its own absurdity. The visual comedy is executed brilliantly, and the acting is stoic and deadpan - even when it really shouldn't be - which adds to the style and humour. To treat the ridiculous with utter seriousness is the key to the laughs here, and to do that, constant parallels are drawn on other popular movie tropes.

This is a film about a troubled soldier and orphan, that escapes from his platoon in order to run away with a girl he met (also troubled), whom he had been secretly communicating with. His own platoon is sent after him to hunt him down, and bring him in - but being the least popular (see troubled, again), they don't mind so much if he's brought in dead or alive. A deadly cat and mouse game ensues.

Only, these aren't soldiers at all. They're boy scouts. The "prison break" involves nothing more complicated than cutting a hole in the side of his tent and escaping, but the hole is covered-up with a map, a la Shawshank Redemption. As the movie progresses, it becomes clearer and clearer that the Khaki Scouts are an analogy for soldiers, and there's some brilliantly funny scenes walking through camp where we see the little boy scouts running obstacle courses, marching in unison, zip-lining and setting off rockets... all drives home this wonderfully absurd mix of the serious and child-like, which permeates everything about the film.

Another favourite Anderson staple of mine that appears here, is the symmetrical composition, and fast 90 degree camera swivels. Every shot in the film is painstakingly arranged for maximum effect, and every frame is a work of art. Attention to detail is everything here, and every element - from the yellow tint that gives every shot the feel of an old photograph - to the flowery French text that appears as captioning - all is specifically designed to evoke some kind of reaction - and in this case, it's to give the film grounding and context as a 60's era piece of euro-cinema.

In short, this film is nothing short of brilliant, and absolutely on par with Grand Budapest Hotel. Fans of that movie are guaranteed a good time with this one.