Moonrise Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

½ March 26, 2015
Beautifully filmed, poignant, and modestly poetic, Moonrise Kingdom plays to Wes Anderson's quirky strengths by using elegant visual environments to evoke raw human notions, while containing equally brilliant performances from the devoted and talented ensemble cast.
September 21, 2015
A fantastically watchable coming of age story, the moon of wonderment never sets in Wes Anderson's fascinating misadventure. Truthfully, this is not the auteur's best work since Rushmore (that would be Royal Tenenbaums and Grand Budapest Hotel), but it hits a lot of the right notes ... especially if you're a fan of this writer/director's life Quixotic. You have to trust his quirky vision by jumping in - not slowly dipping your toes to find the right temperature. This warning seems more the case with this film than any of his others. It's a wondrously whimsical world painstakingly brought to life with specific brushstrokes and amazing performances.

In this PG-13-rated 1960s-set dramedy , two young lovers (Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward) make a pact and run away into the wilderness, riling the local townspeople intent on finding them before a violent storm touches down.

The fact that Moonrise Kingdom takes place from a kid's eye-view (as opposed to Rushmore, which took place from an eccentric kid-beyond-his-years) makes this Anderson film a unique confection, tender and warm even amidst the storminess. Despite boasting a marquee cast chock full of bona fide movie stars, Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton beautifully fall into the fabric of this tale and never once overshadow their young players. Like a seasoned troupe, the actors - young and old - comprise this Kingdom equally. If you're willing to fully bask yourself in Anderson's particular rays of Moon-light, the payoff is worth a king's ransom.

Bottom line: Makes Hay While the Moon Shines
May 14, 2015
A little toned down from Wes Anderson's usual much darker themes, but "Moonrise Kingdom" is nevertheless entertaining.
½ August 30, 2014
My favorite Wes Anderson film
May 10, 2012
Another excellent film from Wes Anderson.
September 7, 2015
In a class of its own.
½ August 23, 2015
Moonrise Kingdom is one of the many ideas that on paper sounds great, but doesn't seem to work when actually executed. Two children, Sam & Suzy (played by Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward), run away from their respective environments (Camp Ivanhoe [part of the "Khaki Scouts," which itself is reminiscent of the BSOA] and her house, respectively).

The problem comes from the two child actors, and while bad child actors are relatively common, it's unusual here since the bulk (indeed nearly all) of the focus is on them. The only other person that's given any real attention at all, is Bruce Willis' character, and that's contained entirely to one scene (and one that's not very long, either).

All of the adult actors vary from serviceable (from Harvey Keitel to Tilda Swinton) to pretty good (Bruce Willis and Edward Norton), but so little focus is spent on them, they'll unable to lift up the movie as a sort of saving grace, unfortunately.
August 20, 2015
The most stereotypical Wes Anderson movie.
March 3, 2014
Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom is the most enjoyable movie of 2012. Anderson further proves that he is a visionary with a very unique art direction.
August 2, 2015
A beautiful romance; a thrilling adventure; a delightful romp! Another great script from Anderson brought to life by the two wonderful leads....they totally captured my heart!
July 29, 2015
Sharp, funny and sweet. Better than the overrated Grand Budapest Hotel.
½ July 25, 2012
This film is slow, quirky, and at times downright weird. Its charm sneaks up on you, though, and I found myself quite invested by about the halfway point. Being a Wes Anderson film, though, I shouldn't have been surprised.
July 26, 2015
I love love love this film. Wes Anderson is a genius at making sets and costumes pop. The main characters are so lovable and you can relate to them.
½ July 26, 2015
Sometimes, when you're really lucky, you get to fall in love when you're young. A joy and complexity I've known all too well. Sometimes the girl is a little crazy, and sometimes... the kid is a badass. Cinematographically, this film is a huge eye-pleasing win. This is the is the 2nd Wes Anderson Film that I've seen recently. His attention for detail, color palate, sense of symmetry, and lengthy set-up shots, are the hallmark of his creations - each distinct, and oddly memorable. This is a great film, and presented some real bonding time for me and my brother. Highly Recommended.
December 23, 2014
Wes Anderson delivers yet again another classic. His style of filmmaking is what makes this movie even better. It just wouldn't be the same without his direction.
July 24, 2015
Cada toma es disfrutable en esta adorable, dulce, sensible, y graciosa extravagancia de Wes Anderson, que como siempre en su filmografía, funciona como una maquinaria perfecta a donde sea que la cámara se deslice, al ritmo de la fantástica banda sonora de Alexandre Desplat.
July 19, 2015
Quirky yes but why is this film rated so highly is baffling. I found the film childish and the plot silly if there was any plot at all. My only motivation to watch it was Frances Mcdormand. The police lady in Fargo that blew me away with her Minnesota accent and level headedness in the midst of all the the mayhem and human filth the police must confront.
July 18, 2015
Incredibly quirky original, and signature Wes Anderson. Fun characters and good performances makes this a fun little ride.
½ July 12, 2015
Wes Anderson's trademark storybook camera direction along with the romantic and whimsical spirit of the narrative are things which only occasionally work in 'Moonrise Kingdom'.