Moonrise Kingdom Reviews

July 19, 2015
Quirky yes but why is this film rated so highly is baffling. I found the film childish and the plot silly if there was any plot at all. My only motivation to watch it was Frances Mcdormand. The police lady in Fargo that blew me away with her Minnesota accent and level headedness in the midst of all the the mayhem and human filth the police must confront.
July 18, 2015
Incredibly quirky original, and signature Wes Anderson. Fun characters and good performances makes this a fun little ride.
½ July 12, 2015
Wes Anderson's trademark storybook camera direction along with the romantic and whimsical spirit of the narrative are things which only occasionally work in 'Moonrise Kingdom'.
½ December 5, 2012
Wow, what a fun and mesmerizing film about adventure, love and fantasy. The music is awesome too, the colours are just amazing and the actors, especially the kids, are so bizarre, special and loveable at the same time. Watching this film I revisited some of my childhood memories and just generally felt great. Moonrise Kingdom is witty, funny and deep with sick visuals, absolutely reccomendended.
½ June 22, 2015
"Moonrise Kingdom" is a sensitively executed and surprisingly mature film where its appeal to the emotions are raw and is aided by natural acting performances and beautiful cinematography that captures a sharp vision on the surface and underneath it.
June 21, 2015
Wes Anderson is hit or miss, and this one hit. Well sequenced and just enough time given to each scene for the film's basic plot to clock in at 94 minutes, Moonrise Kingdom is an easy watch and definitely worth it.
June 18, 2015
The best way to describe, 'Moonrise Kingdom', is that of a fairytale. It whisks you away into a very vivid and creative fantasy world; it totally captures the leads childlike innocence, it's sweet, warm and it made me smile. However, like in most fairytales, there is an underlying tone and hint of despair and impending doom, it is even unexpectedly violent a couple of times. It even pushed the envelope sometimes as well.

The cast for this film is excellent with new and old faces and they all give excellent performances, especially the two young leads, which is obviously good as they are the primary focus of the film and the success of the film rides on their shoulders. This is to be expected though as Wes Anderson really knows how to work with actors. The characters were all great with some actors, like Willis and Norton, playing against type and it was fun to see, they are all written excellently well, for the most part, with Willis' character in particular being the standout with making me feel sad for him. I say for the most part because I really couldn't grasp where Murray's character was coming from; Murray does typically excellent work but when his character is proposed a rhetorical question about their daughter running away, his initial reaction isn't to be worried like the mother is, it's to make a witty remark. That might be his schtick as well as to show how much he doesn't care about the situation around him, while it was still funny, it felt a little weird. The Narrator seemed like an odd addition as he's just in a handful of scenes but his entity grows stranger the longer it goes on, he seems just as a character for us, given his name, but he randomly comes out of nowhere at one to interact with our characters. Also, I thought I saw Owen Wilson at one point but he wasn't in this film, weirdly.

The story is told in a slightly non-linear way at first, which was creative and worked but the way our characters meet each other seems kind of random and coincidental. Besides that, the girl sitting on the right next to Suzy seemed weird, she was fine when she thought that Sam was just asking what they all were but then said that no boys were allowed when Sam said he was just talking to Suzy. I'm also kind of surprised the other characters didn't see that hole in the tent, it wasn't even like the other side of the material covering up the hole was painted or anything, you'd think anyone would have already seen it by now, but the hole wasn't visible on the outside! I also felt sorry for that Turtle that Sam just threw back in. Suzy bringing that cat seemed like she didn't really think it through, despite the family would clearly notice both them gone, what would she do when the food ran out? You'd also have thought they would have made an effort to get away from those boys coming after them, from the way Sam was hiding it looked like they would be hidden from them but clearly not and of course because they don't like him, they're going to turn him in! It seemed odd seeing Norton's character smoking given where he was, but hey. I thought they would have zoomed into the picture at the end to line it up directly with the real life location but that didn't happen and would the term 'nudes' be around in 1965?

Everything on the technical side is excellent. The cinematography is gorgeous and glides across the screen so naturally, everything is staged perfectly, the colours are so rich but at the same time seem muted to fit in with the nature and it just feels warm. The pace was unbelievable, I loved this so much that it felt like no time had passed at all, I couldn't believe it when it finished. The film has a typically unique style and with this film it is the use of letters as well as the font of the film, it's beautiful. The CGI in the film is noticeable, it isn't bad but it's used in such a way where you can notice it when it is used and Anderson puts his own spin on it. Explosions are used a few times and like I have said in the past, perhaps because I have used too much green screen but one or two of the explosions didn't look the best, but I'm aware the budget was quite small and it was excellently spent in every other department. Alexandre Desplat works with Wes Anderson again and this soundtrack is absolutely amazing. However, there was one point where it seemed too loud and, while that isn't his fault, it made one audio line quiet, although it did seem like in that scene in particular it didn't matter that it was loud because it didn't seem like a scene where we had to necessarily hear the line, 'follow me' as it was one of those film scenes where music is used to cover a journey, even if it only happened for that one line.

This is a very unique film, it left me smiling and happy, but there was also a hint of sadness in there. It is a smart and emotional film with deep themes and really leaves you thinking about it after everything is said and done. When the last shot of this film appeared, coupled with the music and what came just before it, I just had such a huge smile. This film is magical and totally memorable; 'Moonrise Kingdom' is an absolute delight.
January 7, 2014
One of Wes Anderson's best films.
May 24, 2012
This film presents a very interesting narrative, with its tale of true love in a time and place without it. Although this narrative isn't perfect, I found it to be a very rich in heart, depth, and real character. The pacing was also refreshingly straightforward, which adds to my lingering feeling that this is essentially a more mature version of a children's movie. This would certainly make a lot of sense seeing as it comes from an unadulterated childhood perspective, rather than the kind of idyllic embellishment one can expect from a movie about childhood love. As for the characters, I verily admired the realism of the performances, and that at the very least none of the characters made me want to cringe. The relationship between the two main characters is perhaps the strongest aspect of the film, because I could actually sense that the feelings between them were truer than their word. Let it be known that if a film-maker can successfully convince you that the feelings shared between two fictional characters are real, then the film-maker has successfully recreated real love on the silver screen, and that's ultimately what the film is about. Also worth noting is the film's whimsical sense of style, which works very well with the overall tone and atmosphere of the film. If there's any flaw with the film, it's that the narrative doesn't always make sense, and the ending ran the risk of ruining the whole message of the film. However, the film has enough humanity and real emotion that I can overlook its flaws.
½ August 31, 2012
Beautiful - I love, love, love Wes Anderson's films. I calling this his 'yellow' film - there is always a colour theme! Love the story, love the cast, love the scenery, love the camerawork! Brilliant but I expected no less!
½ September 13, 2014
One of Wes Anderson's best. Amazing characters, wonderful story, and stunning cinematography. Watch it. You're in for a treat.
May 25, 2015
Thus far, I feel this is Wes Anderson's best film. Essentially it an adult story of love through the eyes (and in the world) of two children. It is also a masterful bow to the great artistes of La Nouvelle Vague. In it's own way, this little film is a cinematic masterpiece.
½ March 5, 2015
Quirky and beautiful. Exactly what to expect from Anderson. Not on the level of Tenebaums, but still quality stuff.
May 8, 2015
My favorite Wes Anderson film, and one of the most poignant, meaningful movies I've ever seen.
May 8, 2015
A strange, pre-teen love story that is almost too surreal to exist but manages to hit every scene perfectly by having a cast filled with old school big name hollywood actors and the best child actors since Stand By Me.
May 3, 2015
It's a Wes Anderson movie, so expect Wes Anderson's style, though it varies somewhat from his previous films in it's core emotion and philosophy.
April 30, 2015
Wes Anderson's style makes for a really entertaining story.
April 25, 2015
There are few directors out there like Wes Anderson. Each one of his films is unique, yet they all share a similar vibe that is threaded between them. In 'Moonrise Kingdom,' Anderson brings his signature deadpan quirkiness to a New England island where an orphaned, misfit "khaki scout" finds love with a disturbed, misunderstood young girl. As with most Anderson films, the cast of 'Kingdom' is full of a who's who in the industry, including memorable performances from Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Frances McDormand, Bill Murray and Tilda Swinton, among others. In terms of the two stars of the film, Sam (Jared Gilman) and Suzy (Kara Hayward) both do respectable jobs, especially considering their ages. Their monotonous delivery of their lines is also pretty impressive, considering child actors are usually extremely energetic by nature.

Everything else about 'Kingdom' is what you'd expect from Anderson: an offbeat score, crazy cinematography and lots of frowns to go around. True, there's a depressed sentiment throughout 'Kingdom,' but the sarcasm and irony that also permeate the dialogue and the actions that happen throughout the movie. And yes, some of the nonsense that takes place is hard to ignore (including lightning strikes, exploding cabins and "dog murdering," but these are not out of character, all things considered. As for the humor, it's not the kind that you'd find in an Adam Sandler movie, but that's what makes it great, as there a lot of tongue-in-cheek references and intelligent, subtle jokes.

At it's conclusion, 'Moonrise Kingdom' could leave a bad taste in audiences' mouths, but that's likely because they are not fans of Anderson and his unorthodox style.
½ April 25, 2015
Very quirky, funny, romantic, and enjoyable. Would like to watch it again soon.