A Reboot for the "Mortal Kombat" Films?

Looks like Christopher Lambert's agent's day just got a lot busier: Moviehole reports that, despite the fervent prayers of many who watched "Mortal Kombat: Annihilation," plans are indeed still afoot to bring the long-running videogame franchise back to the big screen -- and what's more, it hasn't been dwindling box office or scathing reviews keeping us from another "Kombat," but legal issues. Specifically, the issues that develop when a film studio, a game company, the game's creator, and various filmmakers all have their hands in the production pot:

?The reason it is taking so long is the script, so many parts are involved. The team at Threshold (the ones that hold the rights to 'MK') are constantly writing drafts (along with the director), which they have to send to Midway (makers of the game) so the creator of the game (Ed Boon) adds notes and some input to the draft, then to the studio (rumored to be Lionsgate at this moment).?

Did you get all that?

Frankly, this sort of movie-making by committee sounds like the perfect recipe for a horrible film, but we suppose it's fairly normal for Hollywood these days -- and we're honestly sort of intrigued by the following statement:

"The movie is not going to be a prequel, sequel, or in any form be related to the previous two movies. Pretty much like 'Batman Begins,' it is going to restart the series with new concepts, stories, etc."

A "Mortal Kombat" movie reminiscent of "Batman Begins"? The odds are slim, but crazier things have definitely happened.

Source: Moviehole

Comments

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

everyone likes to say their movie will be "sorta" like Batman Begins.

Mar 29 - 02:23 PM

bribios

brian wilson

Yep, most of these "restarting" movies arent even out yet and I'm already sick of em. I'm not completely against turning video games into movies, although we haven't had a good one yet, but there is no way in hell a fighting game could ever be turned into a good movie.

Mar 29 - 02:55 PM

Raziel66

First Last

I thought the first movie was fine! They need to remake the sequel, that one was horrible.

Mar 29 - 02:35 PM

bribios

brian wilson

Mar 29 - 02:55 PM

Pirate Steve

Nick Rains

All I know is the only thing that should be brought back is the theme song from part 1, MORTAL KOMBAT!

Mar 29 - 03:38 PM

getupkid4uga

Ben Wilson

Didn't Paul Anderson (cough cough) the guy who brought us AvP (cough cough) direct the first one? Oh yeah, he's the guy who says "Let's rape every video game adaptation we can, and make money!" Only Uwe Boll is worse, and at least he's funny.

Mar 29 - 04:44 PM

gizmo12688

Serdar Sirin

I'm fine with this as long as it's a bit more like the first one and nothing like the sequel. As far as the actors are concerned, the only two I would like to see brought back are Christopher Lambert (Raiden) and Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage).....and maybe Bridgette Wilson...

Mar 29 - 07:14 PM

Neonknight

Stephen Seecharan

I don't mind seeing Ashby, Lambert and Robin Shou back, but Bridgette Wilson's acting was totally wooden and forced in the first movie. I preferred Sandra Hess, and it's a shame Trevor Goddard isn't around to play Kano anymore.

Mar 30 - 06:25 AM

TomasSPAGHetti

Ben Tomassetti

If they follow along the stroy lines of something like Mortal Kombat Deception I'd say it should be good.

Mar 29 - 07:35 PM

liono86

william ward

I keep kidding with my sis to find out where the castings will be held so she can tryout for Sonya. She's blonde, beautiful, smart yet tough, in her twenties and in the military, so, she's pretty tough. She'd be perfect.

Mar 29 - 08:24 PM

Bob*

bob askins

why?!

Mar 29 - 10:43 PM

JMA

Justin Adams

If they want this movie to actually be good then they should hire an actual director, not one that specializes in video-game movies.

Mar 29 - 11:27 PM

alsanali

Alsan Ali

If they do this, it should be a hard R like Mortal Kombat should be. I want see FATALITIES in their full, blood soaked glory.

Mar 30 - 01:15 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

This is EXACTLY what the world needed!
[/sarcasm]

Mar 30 - 06:08 AM

Neonknight

Stephen Seecharan

Mar 30 - 06:25 AM

Tombstone Law Dog

Daniel Klein

[b]Just like Batman Begins..[/b]
I think every time any talentless hack, dickless producer or generally-worthless studio drone compare their corporate, artless cineshit to Batman Begins should have to pay $50 into the production budget of Dark Knight.

...and if you don't see or appreciate the logic in this, ..well, then there's nothing I can do for you and I hope you enjoy 'Mortal Kombat: Flatulation'

Mar 30 - 06:54 AM

Dunk

Mark Homer

Maybe before cutting the guys nuts off, you should actually read what the article says. He didn't compare his movie to Batman Begins. Rather, he indicated that this movie would be a restart to the Mortal Kombat franchise, just like Batman Begins was a restart to the Batman franchise.

Mar 30 - 12:45 PM

eastern2western

peter liu

I would much rent jackie chan's drunken master 2 than watch another martial art movie made by a bunch of fat americans

Mar 30 - 10:09 AM

Dunk

Mark Homer

Mar 30 - 12:45 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I hated the first one, it was damn bad all the way around, I can't believe some of you actually liked it. I never did see the 2nd one.

Mar 30 - 03:22 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast