The Mortal Storm (1940)
Average Rating: 8.7/10
Reviews Counted: 7
Fresh: 7 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Jan 1, 1940 Wide
Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 1,020
The Nazi Party's rise to power has disastrous consequences for a German family in this drama. Victor Roth (Frank Morgan) is a college professor teaching in Germany in 1933 who leads a peaceful and contented life with his wife Emelie (Irene Rich), son Rudi (Gene Reynolds), daughter Freya (Margaret Sullavan), and stepsons Otto (Robert Stack) and Erich (William T. Orr). However, Adolph Hitler's emergence as Germany's ruler has an unexpected impact on their lives. Fritz (Robert Young) and Martin
Jan 1, 1940 Wide
Jul 20, 1994
Watch It Now
Professor Victor Rot...
Otto von Rohn
Mrs. Victor Roth
Erich von Rohn
Thomas W. Ross
Robert O. Davis
Fat Man in Cafe
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
This was the first Hollywood film to so openly and boldly cast aspersions on the Nazi oppression.
Audience Reviews for The Mortal Storm
- Lehman: [apprehensively] Heil H....
- Professor Victor Roth: Good Afternoon, Lehman.
- Lehman: Good afternoon. Th, there's a new order, I should say 'Heil Hiter', but I won't, not to you.
- Professor Victor Roth: Thank you Lehman.
- Lehman: That is, unless some of the other gentlemen are present, or the students.
- Professor Victor Roth: Yes, I shall understand.
- Colleague: [opening the door and enters] Heil Hitler.
- Lehman: heil, Hitler. [his arm only half raised as his eyes meet Prof. Roth's]
- Professor Victor Roth: I've never prized safety, either for myself or my children. I've prized courage.
Discuss The Mortal Storm on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- La TempÍte qui tue (FR)