Moskva slezam ne Verit (Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moskva slezam ne Verit (Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears) Reviews

January 31, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this film which won the Oscar for Foreign language film in 1980, beating out serious competition in Kurosawa's "Kagemusha" and Truffaut's "The Last Metro". The movie leans towards melodrama, but does have injection of humour that really help the elevate it. The 3rd act really made the film for me. Worth checking out!
½ December 9, 2015
An inside look at Russia under the Soviet Union. President Ronald Reagan was said to have watched this film several times before meeting with Gorbachev in order to get a better understanding of the Russian culture. The film is interesting from two perspectives (to me) the cultural issues and also seeing Moscow in the 50's and 60's. I, not sure why, but have felt Russians were a lot like us. This film sort of reenforced that feeling.
½ December 1, 2015
????? ?????? ????? ? ???? ? ???????? ??? ?? ??????? ???? ?????? ???? ?????, ??, ??? ????? ??????! ??? ?????? ???????? ????? ?????? ???????, ?? ? ????? ?? ?????????? ??? ????? ? ????? ??????????. ??? ????, ??? ?????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ? ???????.
½ August 17, 2015
I loved the self-awareness behind this movie; it's capable of looking at itself critically without romanticizing or deglamorizing. The main driving force is its characters and this is a perfect example of a film where its characters can serve a dual purpose. They are both excellent thematic representations and well rounded, believable people. There's a lovely injection of humour even in the most serious bits. There's only one very minor drawback. For 2/3 of the film we follow the lives of three women, but in the last 1/3, the concentration centers on one of them while the other two are glossed over. Although it works, it would've been more satisfying to have had better balance.
June 15, 2015
a cult fave of mine I remember seeing this on the dearly missed Z channel.
February 19, 2007
The English subtitled translation of the film's title is Moscow Distrusts Tears, which has a bit of a different meaning than the world-wide English title used in the marketing materials and by the Academy when awarding this Best Foreign Language Film of 1981. It is a nice and melancholy melodrama with female protagonists. Specifically, the film follows Katerina or "Katia," played by Vera Alentova. In the late 50s, she rooms with Lyudmila (Irina Muravyeva) and Antonina (Raisa Ryazanova). These life-long friends are concerned with men and how to be successful in the modern world. Antonina already has a steady boyfriend and finds it easiest to settle down into domesticity. Lyudmila is the most boy crazy, wanting to live an exciting, glamorous life. Katia focuses on her studies and being self-sufficient through developing a career. Yet, Katia still faces hardship. She gets pregnant and the class-conscious father turns her away. Twenty years later Katia is a single mother and executive at a large factory. We see the changes in technology and style of late 70s Moscow, yet the three ladies have kept in touch. Before long, the romantic Gosha (Aleksey Batalov) moves into Katia's life. Amongst a few subplots, Gosha and Katia have a falling out and she must rely on her friends to help reunite them. Wonderful performances create characters with depth. The sort of apolitical cultural reference point that shows how much humanity is more similar than we are different.
December 6, 2013
probably the worst (only?) fight scene ever scored to jazz

also sexism
November 17, 2013
entertaining, hopeful little film.
wanted to love it (didn't) but it was an enjoyable, interesting (russia from the 50s-70s) watch.
the cute title was what first caught my eye.
November 7, 2013
People who give this movie bad reviews are unfortunately ignorant and close-minded. As a Russian person, I can say that this movie is beautiful in showing the humanity of a lost Soviet culture. Not only that, but it portrays people, love, and friendship in the most poignant way. This is one of my favorite movies, if you want to see beauty in the world watch this.
bbcfloridabound
April 24, 2013
This is a captivating love story.. It starts with a young woman (Katya, played by Vera Alentova) reporting to her Worker's Dormitory friends that she has flunked by two points the exam to get into university. It ends with the most incredible sweetness of life.

It is like a French film done by a Russian company (which is what it is). The Moscow we see that does not believe in tears does believe in love, and it is not a Moscow of politics, although some people do call one another "comrade." This is a woman's point of view film (a "chick flick") that transcends any genre cage. It begins slowly, almost painfully dull in a way that will remind the viewer of all the clichés about Russia, the unstylish dress, the worker's paradise that isn't, the sharp contrast between Moscow and the peasants who live outside the city. Katya works in a factory. She works at a drill press. She is obviously underemployed. Lyudmila (Irina Muravyova) works in a bakery. She is probably gainfully employed for the time and place. They are friends, twentysomethings who are on the make for a man, but not a man from the sticks. They pretend to be university post docs or something close to that and they impress some people as they house-sit a beautiful Moscow apartment.

This is how their adult life begins in a sense. Lyudmila falls in love with an athlete; Katya becomes infatuated with a television cameraman. One thing leads to another and before we know it they are forty. Neither relationship worked out. The athlete becomes an alcoholic, the cameraman, in the sway of his mother, believes that Katya is beneath him (once he finds out that she works in a factory). How wrong he is, of course.

But no more of the plot. I won't spoil it. The plot is important. The characterizations are important. The story is like a Russian novel in that it spans lots of time, but once you are engaged you will find that the two and a half hours fly by and you will, perhaps like me, say at the end "What a great movie!" My hat is off to director Vladimir Menshov and to Valentin Chernykh who wrote the script and to the cast. I've mentioned Vera Alentova and Irina Muravyova, but Aleksey Batlov who played Gosha was also excellent. I don't want to say anymore.. 2 stars 4-15-13
April 20, 2013
super film! I can watch it again and again!
½ January 12, 2013
Three friends from the sticks try their hand at life in the big city, in this case Moscow at the end of the 1950's, and the film pretty well follows their ups and downs (mainly to do with their love matches). In the process one gleans a different perspective of life over there, a warmer one, than perhaps you imagined you had previously. A chick flick, sure, but not bad.
½ December 18, 2012
I'm not going to say this is an empty melodrama because it's not, the film is about the gender positions in relationships and marriage; strong topic. Unfortunately, the dialogues and the scenes overall are quite loose and shallow and the running time is not helpful at all. I could easily forget this movie. I would like to hear the grounds in which this film was picked to be the Best Foreign Language Film in 1980 by the Academy.
½ December 17, 2012
Russian films are brilliant.
September 20, 2012
This is my favorite Russian movie, and one of my all time favorite movies. It is the story of three young women dreaming of their future and then fast forwarding 18 years to show how their lives actually turn out. It also gives a good glimpse of life in Russia, though like most Hollywood films, I'm sure it is much prettier and nicer than what life was really like for most people. Despite the fact that it is a Russian movie, the ending actually feels rather hopeful, which will appeal to American audiences more than other Russian films.
June 26, 2012
The love triangles of three sisters set in late 1950's Russia. This is a good film but far too long considering the content.

Russian films/stories even though infused with comedy are all tragedy's in conclusion and this Russian film was no exception.

Good acting & good themes but was a little bland in parts, nice to see film that genuinely shows Russian Lifestyle more accurately than the US Propaganda...one of four Russian Films to win best foreign film at the oscars....
½ April 10, 2012
Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears (1979) won an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1980..
Wonderful film,Drama with Hint of Russian Humor
The acting is superb!
December 14, 2011
This is a very popular movie in Russia. Also quite interesting for me! Because It shows that it is never late to restart and suceed in your life, and in spite of difficulties it is possible to reach your goal and success (whatever it means for you). Also it is a very captivating love storie.Watch give it a shot.
July 27, 2011
I loved to see how life was in the dorms for "workers" and how friendship continued through long years and different seasons in life. Made me think of a good friend that is living in Moscow right now and of my Russian-Ukrainian adventure :-)