Mosura tai Gojira (Mothra vs. Godzilla) Reviews

bbcfloridabound
October 17, 2013
This one is considered one of the best Godzilla movies out there, but with that aside, I've been wanting to see this movie, and after finally getting around to watching it, it's actually pretty good. I mean, it's not extraordinary, but it's still worth watching.

But now on with the plot: long story short, Mothra's egg washes on the beach and some corporate businessman wants to buy the egg just so he can put it up as an attraction in his amusement park. Two twin faeries show up and warn him to have the egg returned, but he ignores them and even tries to capture them. In the meantime, a news reporter, news photographer, and professor also find out about it and are determined to help the faeries and Mothra before anything bad happens to the egg. Later, Godzilla naturally comes along and interferes, leading to a serious grudge war between the two title monsters.

My thoughts/defenses on this movie: okay, so the monster battles aren't great, but they're certainly not disappointing at all. In fact, the idea of Mothra against Godzilla apparently did sound like a step in the right direction for Toho, in my opinion. Yes, I know Godzilla is such a klutz in this movie, aside from the fact that his mouth is kinda wobbly in this one, but we certainly can't blame him 'cause the guy in the Godzilla costume can't see a thing. Okay, so the ending isn't very climactic, but it still leaves you with a good feeling.
In conclusion, this is one Godzilla movie that I think that all Godzilla fans should give a try/give a chance 5 STars 10-13-13
TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 13, 2013
Godzilla VS Mothra is a step above its previous entry, which lacked a bit despite its interesting idea of having King Kong battle Godzilla. A lot of the film doesn't make sense, but what do you expect from a Japanese monster film? However, the plot is much more interesting this time around, and it improves on points where the last one needed some touch ups. The performances are pretty good; however it's the monsters that steal the show as usual. This is a very entertaining film from start to finish, and a definite must see for genre fans. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it is a standout film despite its imperfections. The special effects are quite good, and the battle between Mothra and Godzilla is quite exciting as well. Monster films are sheer mindless fun, and this entry certainly provides that in spades. This is an improvement over the last entry, and it should certainly appeal to genre fans looking for a good time. But like every other film that has come before aside from the original, the acting is good, but never great either. In the end who cares? The monsters are the stars of the film and they certainly deliver the thrills that you expect. Although far from perfect, this is an amusing ride, one worth taking. If you love these types of films, don't pass up on this one, you won't regret the sheer mindless nature of it all. Be prepared to be entertained by two awesome monsters battling it out and have fun. Don't expect a masterpiece with this one, but you'll most likely come out of this one as thinking that this is a fine little monster picture that deserves to be among the most memorable of the genre.
November 23, 2011
Fans and critics alike regards this movie as one of the best Godzilla entries, and it is easy to see why. It is very colorful, the special effects are top-notch for these kinds of films, and the story is quiet unique. The film manages to have the right balance of comedy and drama, with human characters that the audience does not mind spending time with. This is Mothra's second feature film, who previously starred in her own film, while this is Godzilla's fourth appearance. The film also contains probably the best Godzilla suit next to the 1954 original. At first it seems the fight between Godzilla and Mothra would not be much of a struggle, but surprisingly, it is one of the best fights of the series. I do not want to give anything away, but the way Mothra defeats Godzilla is both surprising and clever. This would be the last entry to feature Godzilla as a bad guy for an entire film until "Godzilla 1985", afterwards Toho would slowly transform Godzilla into a hero. Definitely one of my favorite Godzilla movies.
August 14, 2010
Toho continue on an entertaining Kaiju streak. Here the battle is between Mothra and Godzilla. Though entertaining, it does pretty much rehash the plots of both of these monsters independent outings. Godzilla always knows when another monster is out and about and here he comes to trash some shit up. In a desperate attempt at salvation, Japan turn to Mothra for some help. Only problem is a greedy businessman has come into possession of Mothra's egg and refuses to let it go. There are some thematic elements around the battle of the sexes here. With Godzilla representing the destructive and vengeful force of man, and Mothra the maternal do-gooder. However, unlike previous films the themes are swept under the rug for more monster brawling. There's less humor than the previous outing, and even more violence. I doubt it's any coincidence that the most violent scenes come from humans attacking humans, rather than Godzilla's rampage.
September 25, 2009
Mothra was shit, he's just a big stupid moth! This is a classic though!
Cameron W. Johnson
½ October 7, 2014
It's all of the excitement of a big lizard facing off against a big moth... and both combatants are giant monstrosities tearing up Japan. Wow, that actually does sound kind of cool, but after "King Kong vs. Godzilla", I think that we could have gone a while without seeing another crossover between "Godzilla" and another monster series, rather than the first of so very, very, very many. There ought to be a little more inspiration this time around, thanks to desperation, because even though the film "Mothra" was fairly successful, the people behind it just had to have known that the "Godzilla" franchise was going to be the best thing to happen to their franchise. If nothing else will make this film more inspired than "King Kong vs. Godzilla", it's the fact that this time around, there aren't any ignorant Americans to mess this project up, like you know they would have, seeing as how when they got ahold of this film, they came up with a title as "inspired and creative" as "Godzilla vs. the Thing". You know that they're not referring to Christian Nyby's "The Thin from Another World", because no one paid that much attention to that creature until John Carpenter's remake that came out about 22 years later, just as no one pays that much attention to Mothra outside of the "Godzilla" franchise. You know, maybe those involved in this crossover aren't too much more creative than the Americans, because, again, even though these rascals are big and destructive, at the end of the day, we are talking about a big lizard facing off against a big moth. Well, at least this film is decidedly better than "King Kong vs. Godzilla", in spite of its shortcomings, such as natural ones.

I mean, I don't how much we're to expect out of a crossover between Mothra and Godzilla in the first place, but this film's story can't even be that meaty, being a lot of dramatically inconsequential chatter, punctuated by action sequences that come without any real sense of consequence over spectacle. That's the usual kaiju premise, and exactly ten years after this monster film genre was established, by way of "Gojira", it was already being worked to death, so, on top of being thin to begin with, this film's story concept is hardly anything new, crafting typical human characters, following a familiar beat and path, and ultimately hitting a number of other fluffy conventions, plenty of which are not the right ones, if you know what I'm getting at, people who saw "Mothra". The "Godzilla" series started out intelligent and reasonably grounded, with some real substance over spectacle, but "Mothra", a more stereotypical Japanese pop piece, carried many a silly aspect that returns here (Those stupid tiny twins), further taking you out of an already somewhat unengaging premise, backed by cheese on the writing that probably shouldn't be there. A lot of the dialogue is cornball, and the humor, while plenty charming and often quite amusing, breaks what tension there is in this rather dated, even if there is always a consistency in a lack of subtlety, which bloats a lot of the popcorn traits, and still not as much as it probably should to really liven things up, at least when it comes to pacing. Running not even 90 minutes, this film is almost as short as those stupid tiny twins, and it's not much of anything beyond dragging, taking what feels like a long, long time to unveil Mothra, and an even longer time to unveil Godzilla, let alone get into the action, and focusing a lot of talk that is colorful, but backed by a subdued air that is occasionally rather dulling. Too much talk has always been a problem with these kaiju classics, but this film, in particular, cannot afford to bore, especially not after "King Kong vs. Godzilla" fell flat as more of a snoozefest than the inconsequential fluff piece that it and this film aims to be. Fluffy, familiar, silly and draggy, this film stands a very real chance of falling to the level of "King Kong vs. Godzilla", but it ultimately gets by as entertaining and, well, focused, for what it is.

Even with all of the over-reliance on chatter, this film doesn't have much pretense about what it is: a fluff piece, and while that establishes a whole lot of natural shortcomings that are made all the more distancing by silly story traits and some cheesy writing, but quite frankly, this premise is plenty of fun, and Shinichi Sekizawa's scripted interpretation does add to that through some charming comic relief, and perhaps even more charming characters. The human characters are genuinely memorable, and every one of them are played the way they ought to be, making them even more charming and endearing amidst all of their aimless chit-chat, and with the help of a competent director. Ishiro Honda, the director who started it all, finally returns to the "Godzilla" franchise, but brings with him sensibilities more in the vein of his directorial performance on "Mothra", complete with more limp pacing than ponderous thoughtfulness, and more emphasis on style over substance, although that is not a huge criticism, considering that Honda often manages to keep the pace tight enough for you feel some, maybe a little too much extensiveness, backed by an adequate deal of flare. Akira Ifukube adds to this flare with a formulaic, but lively and occasionally emotive score, whose underusage keeps it from being as recurrent of a compliment to aesthetic value as Hajime Koizumi's somewhat flat, but colorfully sound and, therefore, handsome cinematography. If nothing else can be admired about the visual style of this film, it's its scope, which immerses you into a number of distinguished, often lovely locations and settings, and creates a sense of scope that further adds to the fun factor of this popcorn piece, especially in the heat of action. We're ultimately here for Mothra and Godzilla, and they take a long time to show up, arriving as effects that have become terribly dated, like a couple of other effects in this film (Those stupid tiny twins didn't always blend in, and those tanks look like the toys they are), yet are still unique and flashy enough to sell, at least as components to spare, but grand and nifty action sequences that are worth waiting a long time for. As things progress, the film does grow livelier and livelier, after plenty of slow early phases, but, honestly, the final product is almost always some degree of entertaining and colorful, keeping up enough charm and entertainment value to satisfy as a fluff piece, even if only that.

When the battle is done, this fluff piece finds its natural shortcomings as an inconsequential story that goes further plagued by familiarity and a silliness which is itself exacerbated by cheesy scripting moments that still don't manage to liven things enough to prevent a surprising amount of dragging and slow spells from threatening the final product's decency, ultimately secured by an at least entertaining premise's being done enough justice by colorfully charming humor, characters, performances and direction, and by charged score work, handsome cinematography and settings, and thrilling, if dated effects and action sequences to make Ishiro Honda's "Mothra vs. Godzilla" a fun, if inconsequential "first" crossover between two of Toho's biggest (Figuratively and literally) icons.

2.5/5 - Fair
October 25, 2012
There are endless ideas for creating a powerful monster to fight Godzilla. And the Japanese make Godzilla battle...a giant moth. Urg.
½ December 27, 2007
The last in the Showa era that featured a thoroughly evil Godzilla. Truly spectacular. Good story, decent characters and an awesome soundtrack from Akira Ifukube.
November 8, 2012
this is the well written and really fun installment of the original series. for one thing, it looks surprisingly great for a godzilla film. i love the colors that is shown throughout the film. one thing is that godzilla is just awesome in this one! i mean he always is, but this is the one that established that he is indestructable. i also thought that mothra was a worthy opponent, and as the hero. this is a great entry in the original godzilla series. its fun, surprisingly have a message of mercy, how about that, and is just a great godzilla film what else to say but its great one, check it out. A+
January 17, 2008
Sure Mothra was made to bring the ladies into theaters, but those Peanuts are my wife's favourites. Mooothora! Moooth oooo raaa haa haa haa.
January 21, 2008
Giant moth...
½ May 16, 2014
A great flick full of Godzilla goodness. Final battle with Mothra's kids is pretty epic for 1964. RECOMMENDED
April 4, 2014
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Starring: Akira Tarkada, Yuirko Hoshi, and Hiroshi Koziumi
Directed By: Ishiro Honda
My Review
I know a few Godzilla fans who might consider this as one of the best Godzilla films in the series,and while I do think that this movie can be enjoyable,that's only if your a Godzilla fan who just want see a good story along with some kaiju. Well while I don't blame kaiju fans for wanting that,I want that along with good characters.
This Godzilla film was focusing on a giant egg that belonged to the butterfly known as Mothra,when it's washed up through the sea to land some corporate butt-head wants to make money off it. Godzilla doesn't appear for about thirty minutes and when he does it looks very silly cause he rises from the ground. When the egg and city are in danger of Godzilla's force of destruction, three people ask for the help of Mothra, now it's up to Mothra and her two offspring's to save Tokyo.
The set-up of the reporters is quite boring and like I said this movie has a good story going for it,but it isn't backed up by either interesting or emotionally developed character's which is what I look for most in any film.This movie is fun entertainment I'm just saying that it had the potential to better or even the best. The camera shots from director Ishiro Honda are not as good as the original Godzilla, but I mostly mean in the fight between the flying mother Mothra and Godzilla.
I do think that it has an entertainment value but that doesn't necessarily make it all that good and far from one of the best Godzilla films. I give Godzilla vs Mothra a two out of five.
December 26, 2012
Mothra and her followers introduce a fantasy element that's an interesting contrast with the more sci-fi Godzilla. The nuclear aesop is present here too, although heavily downplayed in contrast to the original film, Gojira. I'm glad it hasn't been abandoned yet at this point in the series, as it was interesting to see how it affected other aspects of the kaiju world. The human characters weren't terribly interesting, but they were entertaining enough. Godzilla himself is pretty cool, tanking the military's assault (though I did admittedly find myself distracted by his head flapping about). I thought Mothra was neat too, though the limitations both creatively and technically of having a giant moth combat the king of monsters was evident here. Otherwise though, it's a thoroughly entertaining movie.
½ February 25, 2012
Giant egg washes up on the shores. Godzilla grows up out of the dirt and proceeds to never get his bearings. REALLY. He is in terrible shape. Totally clumsy. Falling into building and tripping over stuff. Very accident prone. Which I think has something to do with his bright colored eye brows. The human story is terribly boring. With the single exception of the second reporter and the editor. They are truly funny. I laughed. The only other thing that was good about the humans was the girl photographer line after being asked in a scolding voice if her news reporter boss could tell her something, she says, "No. It will take too long." Which is such a good excuse. I think I will start using it. The speeded up fight btwn Godzilla and they dying Mothra (the Thing) is actually horrible.
½ June 25, 2009
I can't understand how anyone can give this movie a high rating. The movie is totally absurd, the special effects are dreadful - even for the time period. The acting is atrocious, the story is incredibly stupid. The giant moth looks like a bumble bee in drag. Yuk!
April 1, 2007
A lot goofier than I remember it being, and it is just embarrassing for Godzilla to be defeated by a pair of larvae shooting silk at him, but this movie is still one of the better Showa-era films and definitely entertaining.
February 28, 2008
This movie is Awesome!!! I like the part where the little baby mothras shoot spider webs at Godzilla!!
November 18, 2007
The special effects are obviously outdated, but the film itself is probably one of the best Godzilla movies. Good story, decent characters and an excellent soundtrack from Akira Ifukube makes this a memorable entry in the franchise.