Mother's Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mother's Day Reviews

August 19, 2012
Full of the typical "why didn't they do this?", and "I would have done that's!". BUT, all in all it was rather well done, and definitely rarely a dull moment. Rebecca De Mornay does creepy pretty well. I have to say..the ending was not expected, and well thought out. This, to me, means a lot. Movies like this usually get ruined for me with lame, or stupid, endings. Good job...
bbcfloridabound
February 20, 2013
This is a really good horror film, just when you think everything has been written this movie comes along.
Beth and Daniel Sohapi are celebrating in their recently bought house with their friends.

Beth and Daniel have lost their son in an accident, and Daniel has a secret affair. Thieves and brothers Izaak 'Ike' Koffin, Addley Koffin and Jonathan 'Johnny' Koffin are fleeing to the house of their mother in Stonewall after a heist of the First Omaha Bank.

Johnny is seriously wounded by a shot and the gang has been double-crossed by their partner who took the stolen money.

When the criminals arrive at home, they discover that their mother lost the house two months ago and now Beth and Daniel are the owners of the place.

However, when she learns that Ike has been sending money for her for two months, she decides to know who has received the letters and kept the money, in the beginning of a night of horror and sadism for Beth, Daniel and their friends....

Another remake of a film I have never heard of, is an exciting premise, but it's one of the most disturbing and sinister films of the year.

One cannot deny the power of DeMornays portrayal of the mother, and she ranks up there with one of the screens most psychotic villains.

never flinching in the violence, she remains calm throughout the majority of the film, and for a while, I really thought things would go okay, when she arrived at the house, but they just go more extreme.

To say that the film is violent is an understatement, but coming from the director of some of the Saw films, I was expecting a little gore, just not acts that made me feel dirty, and a little helpless.

For instance, one of the brothers makes two random girls kill each other so the other can live, but just shooting the other anyway, stuff like this isn't really needed, and although I never really criticise a film because of violence, this was not needed.

The hostages are not very nice people, but some of the things that they endure makes you sympathise with them. If a man is having an affair, you instantly dislike him, but when the same person is watching a woman burn pictures of his dead child, you cannot help but side with him.

The story and narration are great and performances are good too, it's just some of the content leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and kind of ruins the overall product.

And then there's the ending.....
4 Stars 2-14-13
July 9, 2012
Has an interesting and entertaining premise for a horror/thriller, but it gets a little drowned out in the excessive violence and plot twists that make it impossible to sympathize with any character by the end of the film. I enjoyed it immensely, but it left a sour taste in my mouth that still hasn't gone away. There's alot of over-acting in this film, but some decent performances are still there. If you like your thrillers with lots of gore and violence and don't need to latch onto any character, this will be a treat for you. Otherwise, proceed with a little caution.
LWOODS04
April 15, 2010
"How befitting that Rebecca De Mornay was selected to play the very disturbed "Mother". She plays these psychotic roles so good it's frightening. Now for the rest of the film, it is quite twisted. The devotion these four kids have for their Mother is on the lines of sick. There is plenty of violence in this film. So if you're on the squeamish side, you may want to skip this. The movie was much better then what I was anticipating it to be. Some of the acting was mediocre, but Shawn Ashmore, Briana Avigan, and Patrick Flueger are the ones that stood out the most for me. The film has a lot of craziness going on. But I really enjoyed the screwed up story-line. It was great seeing a nice bloody thriller that didn't fail miserably."
MANUGINO
½ May 4, 2012
The Hand That Messed Up Many Cradles!

Very good horror thriller! This movie's plot is a bit like Funny Games and the suspense models after The Strangers, but it does its thing originally. If you go in expecting a lot, that's what you will come out with. If you go in expecting nothing, you will also get a lot. The performances in this movie are top notch especially Rebecca De Mornay who plays the sadistic mother showing the audience a kind and sadistic side of her character and the great lengths that she'd go to protect her family.

In Stonewall, the couple Beth and Daniel Sohapi are celebrating in their recently bought house with their friends Gina and Treshawn 'Trey' Jackson; Melissa McGuire and George Barnum; Annette Langston and Dave Lowe; and Daniel's partner Julie Ross. Beth and Daniel have lost their son in an accident, and Daniel has a secret affair with Julie. Meanwhile, the thieves and brothers Izaak 'Ike' Koffin, Addley Koffin and Jonathan 'Johnny' Koffin are fleeing to the house of their mother in Stonewall after a heist of the First Omaha Bank. Johnny is seriously wounded by a shot and the gang has been double-crossed by their partner Ethan Poe that robbed the stolen money. When the criminals arrive at home, they discover that their mother Natalie Koffin and their sister Lydia Koffin lost their house two months ago and now Beth and Daniel are the owners of the place. They violently dominate the nine adults and George, who is a doctor, is summoned to help Johnny. Ike calls his mother and sister to join them in the house. The deranged mother calms down the friends and tells them that they will leave the house early in the morning, after the tornado that is threatening the city. However, when she learns that Ike has been sending money for her for two months, she decides to know who has received the letters and kept the money, in the beginning of a night of horror and sadism for Beth, Daniel and their friends.
thefog1331
½ May 28, 2011
Another RINO (Remake In Name Only) but what makes it a rarity is that in it's own right is a damn fine film. There's some carryovers from the original but this truly stands on its own merits. Lots of drama, lots of violence, some surprising twists and some great performances from the cast, De Mornay being the stand out. A worthwhile reimagining that is a little too long but highly thrilling none the less.
½ April 5, 2012
Really bad film, very blunt opening I know but when this film ended I thought wow, what a let down. Throughout the whole film the audience craved one ending, a happy one seen as the whole film is about civilians held hostage and tortured, some even murdered by a psychotic family led by their mother with unspeakable style to parenting and morals. The audience wanted the antagonists to be brutally punished after the unspeakable torture they dish out but instead SPOILER ALERT nearly all the characters are killed, most injured mentally and physically and most of the antagonists live on including the main one which everyone wanted to be killed off- the mother. The psycho family then steal the baby of the main character who was secretly pregnant and was the cause of the murders of her friends subliminally SPOILERS OVER. It seems every saw director wants their film to end suddenly with some stupid twist mainly bad guys who nobody likes win, main protagonist loses in the worst way, eg Insidious, The Collector. Overall big potential, the way we wanted it to go down would be predictable but would make the film good and the twists were unforeseen but very unnecessary and added to that hint of for gods sake you couldn't resist could you? moments.
August Seria
½ April 6, 2012
Could have been a lot better if their characters aren't stupid. The great fresh slasher techniques are there. It's smart, it's sick, yet it's hard to feel empathy for the protagonists if you know they deserve it.
June 11, 2011
Sporadically interesting but ultimately deadening, shrill, misogynistic, overlong and unnecessarily sadistic, Mother's Day has a couple of interesting things going for it - namely Rebecca De Mornay's eye-rolling performance and some early promise in the initial setup. In the end though, the film is clearly the work of Darren Lynn Bousman, who helmed Saw II through IV, and here attempts to overlay a Saw blueprint clumsily onto what could otherwise have been an efficient thriller. The scene where one of the family members forces two young girls to decide which will live, and another where "Mother" forces two men to fight over which of their 'women' will have the honour of deflowering her virgin son, are just two examples that have the no-brain 'logic' of the late Saw films. Aside from De Mornay, the only other performances of any interest are Shawn Ashmore (one of the few cast members who are able to believably attempt to fight back), and Deborah Ann Woll who has a nice line in vulnerability. A wraparound twist seems designed to bed in the possibility of a sequel (what a shocker) but one hour in the film has already played most of its cards and there's simply nowhere else to go, hence increasingly silly splatter, bickering and unsympathetic characters (which applies to both the victims and the criminals), and nonsensical twists.
½ September 30, 2014
I wasn't expecting great things from this remake of an 80's home-invasion movie but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The film is the ickiest type of horror film, with quite extreme violence which hits home being so realistic but the director maintains the tension throughout and although none of the captives are particularly likeable (except Shawn Ashmore as the doctor) the real reason the film worked for me was the great performance by De Mornay. She's the real reason to see the film and her chilling portrayal of a mad matriarch is briliant. Oh and watch out for an early turn from 'actor of the moment' Frank Grillo.
½ March 8, 2011
Brutal home invasion horror. When three brother's burst into what they think is their home after running from a bank robbery they just committed they don't realise that they actually lost the house a few months ago and a new family are living there, in the house at that moment, along with some other friends. Obviously there's only way this situation is going to go and it involves violence. But when the brothers mother arrives, at first it seems to calm things down. But it quickly becomes apparent that the boys mother is as mental as them, just more manipulative, calculated and clever and things are actually looking worse for the family and friends than they did before. Mother's Day is an enjoyable horror film with some intense moments, gore and a few twists and turns to. A chilling performance from Rebecca De Mornay as the mother also gives the film a lift above the usual shit.
John2223
½ March 26, 2011
"Mother's Day" is not exactly a remake. This re-imagination just kept the sadistic family with the same name and borrows some elements of the original, these similarities aside, the movie has a complete new plot and motivation for their insane behavior.

I don't mean there is anything wrong for having a different story because despite a few slow spots here and there (this is why I didn't give it 1/2 star more) this version stands up well enough on its own with its moments full of tension, violence, gore and torture to make this movie a pleasant view for horror fans.

The acting was good by the whole cast but Rebecca De Mornay excels in her role as a sophisticated, cold hearted and psychotic mother.

In MOTHER'S DAY, Mother is so proud for her boys again. They never forget their momma.
½ October 20, 2015
not a bad thrill ride if you go in watching it for what it is. the acting isn't terrible and the one who sticks out the most is DE Moray aka Mother. some shocking gore moments that rival some horror movies, only problem is it seems to slow down about 2/3rdz of the way through and takes a bit to pick back up.
½ April 15, 2015
Dark and violent film that has somewhat more realistic acting than what is typically found in today's movies. It made me really hate the "bad guys" and sympathize for the victims as per the point of making this. Continued thrills, suspense, and violence all throughout the show. Did I forget to mention the violence?
½ November 6, 2013
I think more people liked this movie because it's better made, and the plot never mattered to begin with. If you're comparing it to the run-of-the-mill home-invasion archetype, then this film is slightly inventive. The acting by De Mornay, and Ashmore have to be career highlights. This is a very well-made movie. There are problems, but the plot and acting are far better than the first. Can't complain about this one.
May 15, 2011
Excellent remake that is far better than the original (which I really didnt care for). Excellent tension and solid acting from the cast, especially Rebecca De Mornay
½ June 29, 2013
"Do what I say."
"No."
*pull gun on you*
"Do it."
"NO!"
*cock gun*
"Fine, okay."

Repeat one million times, add Rebecca De Mornay, and you've got a stupid movie!
½ June 10, 2013
March 28, 2013
brilliantly written with some awesomely gruesome torture scenes Rebecca D. was even better than she was in the hand that rocks the cradle no one can play crazy like her! simply amazing and I could watch it repetitively
½ March 24, 2013
I really do not understand what is so appealing about this movie. Not a single intelligent character is presented, just a bunch of misfits who can't wait to stab each other in the back. I also don't understand why this film felt the need to be so unrewarding, you feel so unsatisfied with the ending you wished you would've stopped after the first quarter of this sloppily written excuse for a film concluded. On the flip side, I did get to see someone have boiling water poured in their ears.