Mother's Day Reviews

August 19, 2012
Full of the typical "why didn't they do this?", and "I would have done that's!". BUT, all in all it was rather well done, and definitely rarely a dull moment. Rebecca De Mornay does creepy pretty well. I have to say..the ending was not expected, and well thought out. This, to me, means a lot. Movies like this usually get ruined for me with lame, or stupid, endings. Good job...
bbcfloridabound
February 20, 2013
This is a really good horror film, just when you think everything has been written this movie comes along.
Beth and Daniel Sohapi are celebrating in their recently bought house with their friends.

Beth and Daniel have lost their son in an accident, and Daniel has a secret affair. Thieves and brothers Izaak 'Ike' Koffin, Addley Koffin and Jonathan 'Johnny' Koffin are fleeing to the house of their mother in Stonewall after a heist of the First Omaha Bank.

Johnny is seriously wounded by a shot and the gang has been double-crossed by their partner who took the stolen money.

When the criminals arrive at home, they discover that their mother lost the house two months ago and now Beth and Daniel are the owners of the place.

However, when she learns that Ike has been sending money for her for two months, she decides to know who has received the letters and kept the money, in the beginning of a night of horror and sadism for Beth, Daniel and their friends....

Another remake of a film I have never heard of, is an exciting premise, but it's one of the most disturbing and sinister films of the year.

One cannot deny the power of DeMornays portrayal of the mother, and she ranks up there with one of the screens most psychotic villains.

never flinching in the violence, she remains calm throughout the majority of the film, and for a while, I really thought things would go okay, when she arrived at the house, but they just go more extreme.

To say that the film is violent is an understatement, but coming from the director of some of the Saw films, I was expecting a little gore, just not acts that made me feel dirty, and a little helpless.

For instance, one of the brothers makes two random girls kill each other so the other can live, but just shooting the other anyway, stuff like this isn't really needed, and although I never really criticise a film because of violence, this was not needed.

The hostages are not very nice people, but some of the things that they endure makes you sympathise with them. If a man is having an affair, you instantly dislike him, but when the same person is watching a woman burn pictures of his dead child, you cannot help but side with him.

The story and narration are great and performances are good too, it's just some of the content leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and kind of ruins the overall product.

And then there's the ending.....
4 Stars 2-14-13
July 9, 2012
Has an interesting and entertaining premise for a horror/thriller, but it gets a little drowned out in the excessive violence and plot twists that make it impossible to sympathize with any character by the end of the film. I enjoyed it immensely, but it left a sour taste in my mouth that still hasn't gone away. There's alot of over-acting in this film, but some decent performances are still there. If you like your thrillers with lots of gore and violence and don't need to latch onto any character, this will be a treat for you. Otherwise, proceed with a little caution.
LWOODS04
April 15, 2010
"How befitting that Rebecca De Mornay was selected to play the very disturbed "Mother". She plays these psychotic roles so good it's frightening. Now for the rest of the film, it is quite twisted. The devotion these four kids have for their Mother is on the lines of sick. There is plenty of violence in this film. So if you're on the squeamish side, you may want to skip this. The movie was much better then what I was anticipating it to be. Some of the acting was mediocre, but Shawn Ashmore, Briana Avigan, and Patrick Flueger are the ones that stood out the most for me. The film has a lot of craziness going on. But I really enjoyed the screwed up story-line. It was great seeing a nice bloody thriller that didn't fail miserably."
MANUGINO
½ May 4, 2012
The Hand That Messed Up Many Cradles!

Very good horror thriller! This movie's plot is a bit like Funny Games and the suspense models after The Strangers, but it does its thing originally. If you go in expecting a lot, that's what you will come out with. If you go in expecting nothing, you will also get a lot. The performances in this movie are top notch especially Rebecca De Mornay who plays the sadistic mother showing the audience a kind and sadistic side of her character and the great lengths that she'd go to protect her family.

In Stonewall, the couple Beth and Daniel Sohapi are celebrating in their recently bought house with their friends Gina and Treshawn 'Trey' Jackson; Melissa McGuire and George Barnum; Annette Langston and Dave Lowe; and Daniel's partner Julie Ross. Beth and Daniel have lost their son in an accident, and Daniel has a secret affair with Julie. Meanwhile, the thieves and brothers Izaak 'Ike' Koffin, Addley Koffin and Jonathan 'Johnny' Koffin are fleeing to the house of their mother in Stonewall after a heist of the First Omaha Bank. Johnny is seriously wounded by a shot and the gang has been double-crossed by their partner Ethan Poe that robbed the stolen money. When the criminals arrive at home, they discover that their mother Natalie Koffin and their sister Lydia Koffin lost their house two months ago and now Beth and Daniel are the owners of the place. They violently dominate the nine adults and George, who is a doctor, is summoned to help Johnny. Ike calls his mother and sister to join them in the house. The deranged mother calms down the friends and tells them that they will leave the house early in the morning, after the tornado that is threatening the city. However, when she learns that Ike has been sending money for her for two months, she decides to know who has received the letters and kept the money, in the beginning of a night of horror and sadism for Beth, Daniel and their friends.
thefog1331
½ May 28, 2011
Another RINO (Remake In Name Only) but what makes it a rarity is that in it's own right is a damn fine film. There's some carryovers from the original but this truly stands on its own merits. Lots of drama, lots of violence, some surprising twists and some great performances from the cast, De Mornay being the stand out. A worthwhile reimagining that is a little too long but highly thrilling none the less.
½ April 5, 2012
Really bad film, very blunt opening I know but when this film ended I thought wow, what a let down. Throughout the whole film the audience craved one ending, a happy one seen as the whole film is about civilians held hostage and tortured, some even murdered by a psychotic family led by their mother with unspeakable style to parenting and morals. The audience wanted the antagonists to be brutally punished after the unspeakable torture they dish out but instead SPOILER ALERT nearly all the characters are killed, most injured mentally and physically and most of the antagonists live on including the main one which everyone wanted to be killed off- the mother. The psycho family then steal the baby of the main character who was secretly pregnant and was the cause of the murders of her friends subliminally SPOILERS OVER. It seems every saw director wants their film to end suddenly with some stupid twist mainly bad guys who nobody likes win, main protagonist loses in the worst way, eg Insidious, The Collector. Overall big potential, the way we wanted it to go down would be predictable but would make the film good and the twists were unforeseen but very unnecessary and added to that hint of for gods sake you couldn't resist could you? moments.
August Seria
½ April 6, 2012
Could have been a lot better if their characters aren't stupid. The great fresh slasher techniques are there. It's smart, it's sick, yet it's hard to feel empathy for the protagonists if you know they deserve it.
June 11, 2011
Sporadically interesting but ultimately deadening, shrill, misogynistic, overlong and unnecessarily sadistic, Mother's Day has a couple of interesting things going for it - namely Rebecca De Mornay's eye-rolling performance and some early promise in the initial setup. In the end though, the film is clearly the work of Darren Lynn Bousman, who helmed Saw II through IV, and here attempts to overlay a Saw blueprint clumsily onto what could otherwise have been an efficient thriller. The scene where one of the family members forces two young girls to decide which will live, and another where "Mother" forces two men to fight over which of their 'women' will have the honour of deflowering her virgin son, are just two examples that have the no-brain 'logic' of the late Saw films. Aside from De Mornay, the only other performances of any interest are Shawn Ashmore (one of the few cast members who are able to believably attempt to fight back), and Deborah Ann Woll who has a nice line in vulnerability. A wraparound twist seems designed to bed in the possibility of a sequel (what a shocker) but one hour in the film has already played most of its cards and there's simply nowhere else to go, hence increasingly silly splatter, bickering and unsympathetic characters (which applies to both the victims and the criminals), and nonsensical twists.
½ September 30, 2014
I wasn't expecting great things from this remake of an 80's home-invasion movie but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The film is the ickiest type of horror film, with quite extreme violence which hits home being so realistic but the director maintains the tension throughout and although none of the captives are particularly likeable (except Shawn Ashmore as the doctor) the real reason the film worked for me was the great performance by De Mornay. She's the real reason to see the film and her chilling portrayal of a mad matriarch is briliant. Oh and watch out for an early turn from 'actor of the moment' Frank Grillo.
½ March 8, 2011
Brutal home invasion horror. When three brother's burst into what they think is their home after running from a bank robbery they just committed they don't realise that they actually lost the house a few months ago and a new family are living there, in the house at that moment, along with some other friends. Obviously there's only way this situation is going to go and it involves violence. But when the brothers mother arrives, at first it seems to calm things down. But it quickly becomes apparent that the boys mother is as mental as them, just more manipulative, calculated and clever and things are actually looking worse for the family and friends than they did before. Mother's Day is an enjoyable horror film with some intense moments, gore and a few twists and turns to. A chilling performance from Rebecca De Mornay as the mother also gives the film a lift above the usual shit.
John2223
½ March 26, 2011
"Mother's Day" is not exactly a remake. This re-imagination just kept the sadistic family with the same name and borrows some elements of the original, these similarities aside, the movie has a complete new plot and motivation for their insane behavior.

I don't mean there is anything wrong for having a different story because despite a few slow spots here and there (this is why I didn't give it 1/2 star more) this version stands up well enough on its own with its moments full of tension, violence, gore and torture to make this movie a pleasant view for horror fans.

The acting was good by the whole cast but Rebecca De Mornay excels in her role as a sophisticated, cold hearted and psychotic mother.

In MOTHER'S DAY, Mother is so proud for her boys again. They never forget their momma.
½ June 25, 2012
I really enjoyed it, but if the main characters would have been honest in their situation from the get-go, everything would have been fine. I was actually wanting the mother to win in the end. That's how fucked up this movie was.
May 25, 2012
I wouldn't genre this as horror was more of a thriller i spent the whole movie wondering how the opening of the movie fit to find out at the last. Worth watching
May 12, 2012
I thought the ending was the most evil ever! Too bad I had to watch the other hour and 45 minutes. It is a different genre, not necessarily a torture film.
May 8, 2012
Mother's Day is a home invasion film reminiscent of the classic examples of the genre from the 1970s and 80s (House on the Edge of the Park, any of the Last House rip-offs, etc.) as well as more recent examples like Funny Games, The Strangers, Them, and Inside. Admirably directed by Saw series veteran Darrenl Lynn Bousman, Mother's Day is a good-looking, well-acted, and brutal film that has nothing at all to do with the Troma film that it is ostensibly remaking. Unfortunately, the film goes on a bit too long--it would have succeeded more completely as a lean 90-minute exercise in tension building. Still Rebecca De Mornay is amazing as the psychotic mother, and the film manages to prove unsettling throughout, something that could never be said about the campy Troma original.
May 12, 2012
This movie is reminiscent of '80s slasher flicks, and also somehow manages to have a Lifetime feel to it. But there's too much gratuitous violence for it to be really enjoyable. Obviously, it's a horror movie and there's going to be some blood, but when that becomes the focal point, it makes the film much less fun to watch. I didn't hate this, but with some better production decisions it would have been much better.
½ January 9, 2012
Could've been perfect... were it not for that last second middle-finger-to-the-audience. A word to directors: stop pissing off your audience just because you want to appear clever.

Here's hoping they chop that last bit out before it's American release because it punishes Jaime King's character for the strength she has summoned by the end.

P.S. Fun fact: they did not. Oh well. I suppose I could just shut the movie off after [SPOILER ALERT] the house burns down and pretend that stinger doesn't exist.
May 5, 2012
(1 Star) I don't know what makes torture entertaining or compelling to some moviegoers. Films like Funny Games, The Strangers, and now the very dismal Mother's Day that revolve around sadistic and bloody torture are not only hard to watch, but they aren't scary. Despite having an interesting performance from Rebecca De Mornay (which is more than this movie deserves), Mother's Day is drab, overly brutal, and has a very nonsensical plot. It doesn't know what it wants to be... Campy? Real? Funny? Visceral? Who are we supposed to root for? The unlikable pieces of meat being tortured or the psycho mother with her one-dimensional killer family?

Characters are not established, so why care for them? I'm still wondering which party makes the stupider decisions: the torturers or ones being tortured. There's something off about the choppy editing, like not enough coverage was shot for the film, so they made due with what they had. I also noticed this same problem with Darren Lynn Bousman's other film "11-11-11." Mother's Day is stupid, the ending is a botch, it's very inconsistent and overly barbaric to be diverting, and way, WAY too long. If you're entertained by this type of movie, good for you, but I really don't want to know why.
January 28, 2012
B+

This movie is really good I dont know why its not fresh but ohh well. Very gory and suspenseful! Highly recommended.