—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Move Over Darling Reviews

Spencer S

November 26, 2012
A remake of the classic 1940 romantic comedy called "My Favorite Wife," this send up does some good, wacky, sixties style things that are classic in their own way, but doesn't do justice to the original. The reason this was doomed from the beginning is simply because the original didn't need a modern setting, any new set of circumstances, or stars of the time. It's a classic film, the same as the dramas that seem outspokenly protected by time. This was supposed to be a comeback for fallen star Marilyn Monroe, and became the infamous final film "Something's Gotta Give" before being retooled and given a completely different cast. Though I'm sure Monroe would have brought her charm to the role, it doesn't seem specific enough for her, or Dean Martin, who was also cast at the time. What you get instead is new cast members James Garner and Doris Day. While Garner is a perfect match for counterpart Cary Grant in style and substance, Day brings a level of goody two shoes, virginal glee to the mix that though unintentional, is counterproductive. Irene Dunne (from the 1940 version) could always match Grant's witticisms, which were throughout the film. The humor here is much keener than the original, not happy to take risks with changing characters or dialogue, so they put Day in continuously cutesy situations, from storming off with a blush in her cheek, to riding through a car wash completely dressed with the top down on her convertible. There's nothing as sneaky as, say, The Parent Trap, and nothing as smart as a Cary Grant comedy from the forties. It's not lazy, but complacent to take the easy way out time and again. The only true gleaming ray of light is character actress Thelma Ritter, who is always superb. I would put in a good word for Day, though I find her presence almost too sweet to bear. If you're interested though there is a creepy scene with Don Knotts as a perverted shoe clerk, and a shot for shot remake of one particular scene from the original film. The 1940 version is just too solid to be remade, and therein lies this film's problem, enough said.
deano
deano

July 22, 2009
Perfect! It is absolutely delightful with a spectacular cast. Thelma Ritter is in my honest opinion, the best character actress that Hollywood has ever produced, and is allowed to perform her many talents with minimal intrusions by other actors.
The best scene of all is watching Doris Day drive a brand new 1963 Imperial Conv. into a car wash and then accidentally putting the top down.
January 31, 2010
The idea of believing your spouse is dead and getting remarried just before they resurface definitely presents quite a quandary. I wasn't quite sure how it would be hashed out, but they pulled it off with great success and the results were downright hysterical! And although there was a great deal of comedy, proper emotion was inserted as well. Doris Day and James Garner worked very well together and it definitely brought to mind the screwball comedies of the 30's & 40s. In fact, this is a remake of a film called "My Favorite Wife" starring Cary Grant and Irene Dunn, released in 1940, but personally I prefer this version slightly. Hey, it even includes a cameo by Don Knotts. Who could ask for more?
bballgirl1334
August 28, 2008
It made be laugh so hard in some parts I couldt breath. The only thing is that buged me about this movie was James Garner I dont know what it is but in some parts he buges the heck out of me. Still love it thoe. Besides that this movie is a great movie.
January 5, 2008
One of my sentimental favorites from childhood. The plot is senseless and the first act is a bit of a slog. Don Knotts, Thelma Ritter, John Astin, and Chuck Connors round out a supporting cast that is often more entertaining than the main story. worth watching.
keishahosler
May 2, 2007
it's a good movie, it's a remake of a movie Cary Grant made years earlier, I might have enjoyed it more had I known it was a remake when I watched it, I kept going mand this is familiar, and not only had I seen this version before I had also seen My favorite wife with Cary Grant. The two movies have a lot of similarities and differences but both are equally good.
April 19, 2007
I was so pissed the guy wouldent get rid of his new wife right away but if he did there wouldent be a move.
April 2, 2007
this definately entertainned me. doris day is so brilliant and who couldn't like james garner. another good old fashion film.
April 27, 2014
The remake of My Favorite Wife completely recast and retitled after Marilyn Monroe's death. Maybe not quite as good as the original but still did quite well at the box office.
Nukleopatra
August 27, 2013
This is a good example of how the right actors/characters can carry bad/corny material. Doris Day is perfect here, but James Garner is the surprise - he really could remove the stick from his ass long enough to have a good time.
October 24, 2012
Love the song. Incredibly romantic/saucy lyrics.

Our lips shouldnā(TM)t touch
I like it too much
Move over darling
That gleam in your eyes is no big surprise anymore
Cos you fooled me before

Iā(TM)m all in a spin
Iā(TM)ve got to give in
Move over darling
And though itā(TM)s not right, Iā(TM)m too weak to fight it somehow
Cos I want you right now

The way you sigh, has me waving my conscience bye-bye
You can call me a fickle thing
But Iā(TM)m practically yours forever, because

I yearn to be kissed
How can I resist
Move over darling
You captured my heart, and now that Iā(TM)m no longer free
Make love to me

The way you sigh
Has me waving my conscience good-bye
You can call me a fickle thing
But Iā(TM)m practically yours forever, because

I yearn to be kissed
How can I resist
Move over darling
Please give me your love, Iā(TM)m longing for you
I need all your love, honest I do
You captured my heart and now that Iā(TM)m no longer free

Make love to me
January 1, 2011
Best Doris Day movie
DCardwell
October 19, 2008
After being stranded on a island for 5 years a woman returns home to find that her husband has remarried. He finds out that she has been with another man on that island for the entire time. Hilarious situations ensue as they sort out the dilemma.[/FONT][SIZE=3]