Total Recall: Anthology Movies

Summary

With 11 directors, 15 writers, and a cast of dozens, this weekend's Movie 43 is the biggest picture of 2013 -- at least in terms of cast and crew. But all those people didn't get together to make any old film: Movie 43 is part of the rich Hollywood tradition of anthologies -- movies in which sometimes-disparate collections of filmmakers come together to create a larger statement. We decided to dedicate this week's list to those efforts, and while limiting our choices to movies with multiple directors forced us to make some painful cuts (sorry, Creepshow fans), we still ended up with a pretty broad overview of a genre that's probably never gotten enough love from mainstream audiences. It's time for Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

Michael Braden

Michael Braden

Why did it show saw 3d?

Jan 23 - 04:38 PM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

Because Visions of Eight is practically the same movie as Saw 3D. Oh wait... Actually, no, okay, that was a mistake. We fixed it. Thanks.

Jan 23 - 04:45 PM

Monica K.

Monica Knight

Some people says its unbelievable .... some who earned says its a wonderful opportunity to earn about $5500 in 1 month on website/internet, did you read the page wow42.com

Jan 28 - 10:47 AM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

Jan 23 - 04:45 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I love the genre. I will defend "Four Rooms" with every misbehaving breath, and "New York Stories" has one of Scorsese's brightest jewels in 'Life Lessons' and one of Woody Allen's funniest in 'Oedipus Wrecks' (less said about Coppola's the better). I'm still looking forward to the new "Havana" and THANK YOU for not including the awful NY version of "Paris Je T'aime". Except for Natalie Portman's entry, it was such a collection of stupidity.

Some others for the curious:

RoGoPaG - Godard/Gregoretti/Pasolini/Rossollini
Three Extremes - Fruit Chan/Park Chan-wook/Takashi Miike
Two Evil Eyes - Romero/Argento (for the Argento alone)
Memories (anime) - Morimoto/Okamura/Otomo
Aria - Altman/Beresford/Godard/Jarman/Temple/Roeg/Russell + others

Jan 23 - 05:02 PM

billtheburger

bill theburger

Come on Janson, Four Rooms is pretty mediocre apart from the Rodriguez mini tale andthe final segment is a little amusing. But the other parts ruin it too much for me to ever wish to resit it all.

Jan 24 - 12:09 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Sympathy for the Misbehavers, Bill. Rodriguez's room alone is a comedy classic that must be seen. The rest is OK, but what makes it watchable is Tim Roth's hilariously physical performance. Not for all tastes, maybe, but I got my rocks with it.

Jan 24 - 12:19 PM

Tyra Adlam

Tyra Adlam

So glad you and another reader picked up on the fact Three Extremes was sadly missing.

Jan 26 - 04:23 PM

Dave J

I was going to mention the 2004 film "Three...Extremes" but apparently someone has already beat me to it. There are some others though that should also be on this list:

-1962 "How The West Was Won" scoring 100% on the meter with 4 directors by the names of John Ford, Henry Hathaway, George Marshall, Richard Thorpe!

-The 1984 flop "The Dungeonmaster" with 7 directors, Dave Allen, Charles Band, John Carl Buechler Steven Ford, Peter Manoogian, Ted Nicolaou, Rosemarie Turko!

-According to imdb.com (1967) Casino Royale scoring 27% had 6 directors who are Val Guest, Ken Hughes, John Huston, Joseph McGrath, Robert Parrish, and Richard Talmadge!

And not to mention directors Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker of "Airplane" scoring 98% and "Top Secret!" movies with 78% respectively!

Jan 23 - 06:05 PM

King  S.

King Simba

It's not enough to have multiple directors to make the list, it has to be a collection of short films, which is why films like Airplane and Casino Royale don't count.

Jan 23 - 11:10 PM

Dave J

"we look at some memorable movies with multiple directors."
Perhaps but I was only responding to what it says above but look at one of RT's picks "Four Rooms"- did that movie have a collection of short films?

Jan 24 - 12:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It's the definition of "anthology", Dave, and yes, each of the four rooms were separate stories.

Jan 24 - 12:29 PM

Dave J

I guess I missed the "anthology" part!

Jan 24 - 01:07 PM

(biting tongue)

Jan 24 - 01:45 PM

Dave J

Eh! At least I saw all my picks!

Jan 25 - 01:36 PM

Janson Jinnistan

You fucking with me? Which of my picks do you presume I haven't seen, smart guy?

Jan 25 - 01:51 PM

Dave J

That's funnny, where did I made claims that you didn't see any of your picks- or are just being paranoid again? Because all you had to say is that you saw all of yours too- if that is the case!

Jan 25 - 03:11 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Is it "funnny"? All your "at least" and "if"s. What a knob.

Jan 25 - 03:47 PM

Dave J

To have a civilized conversation is not one of your strongest points - is it? And to take my comment in offense to the most extremes(even though I personally don't know who you are nor know what you like) does define your personality because I don't recall calling you any duragatory names!

And by calling me a knob either makes you feel better about youself or makes you feel like a big man - which is it?

Jan 25 - 04:07 PM

"You fucking with me"

You know you sound like a grouchy old man when say sh-t like this because most civilized and normal people don't talk like this! You know there's medication you can take for this extreme anger!

Jan 25 - 04:11 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I should have assumed your post was pointless drool. The only way to interprete it in any context is that you were suggesting I hadn't watched my picks. "At least". Compared to what? I'm sorry for assuming you had an intended point.

Jan 25 - 04:13 PM

Dave J

Now you want to disect my comment now- okay! "At least" could also imply about anyone as well since "you"are not the only reader on here! And besides that- all you had to say was I seen all of my picks too" but no - you take it as a personal attack! I mean even if it's real life and we're looking at each other face to face - is this how you really talk like? Because the only people I know who talk like this are autistic people!

Jan 25 - 04:33 PM

Adam Foidart

Adam Foidart

Good Call with Three... Extremes (and possibly the sequel, which I have not seen yet) but King Simba is right about the other titles.

Jan 24 - 12:13 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

No Creepshow? Or is that just a movie with different stories? Also American Horror Story Deserves a mention

Jan 23 - 08:11 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Tales from the Darkside comes to mind as well. I love the one with Buster Poindexter and the cat. Oh! And Cats Eye! Love the one with the troll!

Jan 23 - 11:53 PM

Janson Jinnistan

All three of these films are by one director, and this is for anthology films by multiple directors.

Jan 24 - 12:22 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

Yeah I acknowledged that i thought creepshow might've been just an anthology movie instead of multiple directors

Jan 25 - 12:37 PM

Great film regardless.

Jan 25 - 12:57 PM

Anthony Stokes

Anthony Stokes

fucking amazing film, have you seen AMerican Horror Story? Just as good

Jan 25 - 07:33 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I saw VHS recently. That ranged from pretty creepy to Pffft lame! Anthologies are Fun.

Jan 23 - 09:03 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

The one story of V/H/S that was totally out of place and just plain incomprehensible was the 4th one recorded from Skype. Why the hell would someone put that on a video tape? I like V/H/S for the most part, but I was hoping for more of a 70s/80s look and feel to the tapes themselves, as they just felt too modern. Still, I give the filmmakers credit for combining the found-footage and anthology genres so cleverly.

Jan 25 - 12:31 AM

Graham Ginty

Graham Ginty

The director of the Skype segment said that his theory was that people who dealt in trading these types of tapes (eg the man who owned the house) would want to keep things away from the digital world as much as possible as it increased the chance of the trade being traceable online. Kinda works I guess but seems more like an after thought.

Jan 27 - 07:07 AM

Narcisse Lefebvre

Narcisse Lefebvre

The Fourth Dimension by Korine/Fedorchenko/Kwiecinski and Autoerotic by Swanberg/Wingard are two recent notable anthologies.

Jan 23 - 10:33 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That last shot in "Autoerotic" is a scream.

Jan 24 - 12:23 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jan 23 - 11:10 PM

Dave J

"we look at some memorable movies with multiple directors."

Jan 24 - 12:21 PM

Jan 24 - 12:29 PM

Dave J

I guess I missed the "anthology" part!

Jan 24 - 01:07 PM

(biting tongue)

Jan 24 - 01:45 PM

Dave J

Eh! At least I saw all my picks!

Jan 25 - 01:36 PM

Jan 25 - 01:51 PM

Jan 25 - 03:11 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Is it "funnny"? All your "at least" and "if"s. What a knob.

Jan 25 - 03:47 PM

Jan 25 - 04:07 PM

"You fucking with me"

Jan 25 - 04:11 PM

Jan 25 - 04:13 PM

Jan 25 - 04:33 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 23 - 11:53 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Animatrix. Couldn't keep my eyes off the screen.

Jan 23 - 11:54 PM

billtheburger

bill theburger

Jan 24 - 12:09 AM

Jan 24 - 12:19 PM

Mathew Westcott-Dixon

Mathew Westcott-Dixon

No Cloud Atlas? Am I seriously the only one who agrees with Roger Ebert on that film?

Jan 24 - 05:11 AM

Greg Dinskisk

Greg Dinskisk

That's not considered an anthology movie, because the segments blend together in a way that make it one story.

And no, you're not the only one. I love that movie, my second favorite film of 2012.

Jan 28 - 09:04 AM

Scott Ecker

Scott Ecker

Where are Disney's package features? Fantasia 2000, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, etc. I mean Fantasia is easily better than anything on this list.

Jan 24 - 05:26 AM

Dieter Rogiers

Dieter Rogiers

One glaring omission on the list: Dead of Night (1945)--> 96 percent fresh! The movie features one of the best and most influential horror segments ever: a creepy 20-minute short about a ventrilloquist and his dummy, directed by albert Cavalcanti.

Jan 24 - 08:10 AM

Ooof. Good point. Cavalcanti/Crichton/Deardon/Hamer

Jan 24 - 12:25 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Awesome choice; the only reason it doesn't have 100% is because of a 2003 review that doesn't exist anymore. Man, I wish RT would get rid of those fuckers!

Jan 25 - 12:35 AM

Dave J

"Dead Of Night" is an awesome choice- that and "How The West Was Won"!

Jan 25 - 01:40 PM

Marc Veerkamp

Marc Veerkamp

Yeah, Dead of night is the most solid anthology movie I can remember.

Jan 27 - 01:59 AM

Jere Hunter

Jere Hunter

Sin City isnt on there, with guest Directors and such, or are we only using the Directors Guild movies here

Jan 24 - 11:52 AM

This comment has been removed.

Jason McGuire

Jason McGuire

sure it is

Jan 25 - 01:01 AM

Adam Foidart

Adam Foidart

Jan 24 - 12:13 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies