Mozart and the Whale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mozart and the Whale Reviews

November 20, 2014
Mozart and the Whale is a cute flick with a poignant framework.
July 21, 2013
Generic yawn-fest of a "love" story that perpetuates misinformed stereotypes of savantism among people with autism / asperger's to an even greater degree than Rain Man. Avoid.
September 15, 2013
It's merely a demonstration of human experience, because there's more than meets the eye in that film. A flagrant exposure of social behaviors disguising in a melodramatic theatrical artwork portraying eager biographies for interpretation is the main focus of the film. The script, as a two-lines conversation, falsifies the audiences' lore of quotations. Josh's performance has jeopardized the character in several scenes, still his famous facial abilities ought to be praised throughout the film.
½ July 4, 2013
Enjoyable small indie film - good date movie-
February 4, 2013
While lagging in tempo, cinematography and overall direction at times, the film accurately captured some of the intricacies of life with autistic exaggeration.
December 18, 2012
As a person with asperger's syndrome, I found this to be very annoying. Having several characters with asperger's, there should have been a great deal more diversity of the spectrum. It was like they read a medical website's definition of asperger's, but made no attempt to find out what it was really like. Any explanation of facts about asperger's felt very forced.
DrStrangeblog
October 2, 2011
Illuminating love story between two people with Ausperger's sydrome. Like many autistics, Izzy and Donald live in their own worlds while still having to cope with living in the world at large. Donald (Josh Harnett, indistinguishable from Ethan Hawke here) desperately wants to fit in with society and appear "normal" while Isabella (an exuberant Radha Mitchell) demands that she be accepted for who she is, wild mood swings and all. Obviously a very personal project for director Petter Naess, Izzy and Donald and their many autistic friends are never a source for ridicule, and the film particularly succeeds by communicating their daily challenges at both creating relationships and leading productive lives without resorting to sappy melodrama. The genial tone is more often an upper than a downer, these are simply people who are wired differently and sometimes need extra patience and understanding. Hartnett and Mitchell are fully convincing as these characters, and John Carroll Lynch (best known as Drew's transvestite brother from The Drew Carey Show) does a good job as Harnett's friend with skill at dispensing savvy relationship advice.
December 13, 2012
Sappy saccharine crap..The kind you see on Lifetime.
½ July 1, 2012
I am no expert on Asperger's, but this is a very well done movie. This movie isn't about mozart or a whale but rather 2 people who happen to have Asperger's. Acting was great from the two lead roles, in particular from Donald played by Josh Hartnett. My only complaint was how it was slightly choppy at times, where time passed and we kinda had to figure that out. Well worth your time. 87 of 100.
½ June 25, 2012
Hartnett actually shines in this one.
½ June 23, 2012
A sweet little movie.
June 18, 2012
How intelligent those people in real life, they do have a life u know?!
½ May 30, 2012
Some really good acting!
April 24, 2012
I have three children with ASD and they are not suffering as this review refers to the two characters in this movie with Aspergers. I loved this movie and i think it showes that even thow thay are diffrent they want the same as we all do to be loved and we all have our challanges in relationships.
April 10, 2012
a sad and funny film about a young autistic couple's struggle with everyday life
½ April 3, 2012
This is a great tale of love, passion and struggle. It shows that no matter the condition of someone, you feel the same, you act and react in the same manner. This movie stars Josh hartnett in (i believe) one of his best roles as an actor. The story is a relevant love story, but will give your smiles at the end
½ March 6, 2012
Muy buena pelicula que cuenta la historia de amor de dos personas con sindrome de asperger (autistas). Estan muy bien caracterizada la enfermedad de los personajes y realmente las actuaciones son muy buenas. Tiene cierto humor que la hace entretenida. Recomendable.
½ February 17, 2012
Great Chemistry between romantic leads. Also the odd pacing of the film works wonders.
½ February 8, 2012
Now Here a Love Story that I can Enjoy cuz It makes Fuckin Sense. Here is a love between 2 people who fight over stupid shit but it's not stupid to them because they are autistic. The shit they fight about made sense to them and it made sense to me because here are 2 people in love that have no sense to begin with.
Pretty damn funny too and good performances all around.
January 22, 2012
Good performances . . . inaccurate about the every-autistic-has-a-savant-ability thing . . . pretty banal in the end. When is there going to be a good film involving autism?