—— The Identical Sep 05

Mr. Nobody Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

April 3, 2014
A 118-year old man, the last mortal left on Earth in 2092 after humanity has discovered the secret of genetic immortality, tells his life story to a curious journalist, mixing up his memories and telling contradictory stories in which he is in love with three different women. With its multiple storylines, heartbreaking romance, amazing sight gags, and clever philosophical asides, this amazing movie shows more imagination than the last five movies you saw put together.
Thomas J

September 11, 2013
This is the strangest movie I did not understand but still for some reason LOVE!
Carlos M

August 1, 2013
Dormael's ambition, though appealing, moves dangerously towards pretentiousness as he attempts to concoct this intricate, convoluted plot - which bears many unnecessary elements that end up bloating it into a flawed, overlong structure that lacks a clear focus.
Jens S

February 5, 2012
In the late 21st century the last man who will die of old age thinks back on his life and the different paths it could have taken in this mix of arthouse drama, romance and science fiction. The film's problem soon becomes apparent: the audience remains as uncertain and confused about the real events in Nemo's life as the old man himself. He meets the girl, he loses the girl, the girl dies, he marries the girl. Possibilities blend into each other, we get different versions of the decisions he made and ends up marrying three different women. But which one is the real life he lead? Thankfully, the old man's interviewer is soon as confused as we are. Because while all that may sound pretty interesting, and it is for a while, things soon get repetitive and more confusing than necessary. It feels a bit as if the film wants to screw with our minds just for screwing's sake. By the end you don't even really expect a solution that makes sense anymore, and of course you only get a half-assed one. That's not to say that there are rewarding aspects to this film. Leto's acting is great and the futuristic set-ups and cinematography are outstanding. The problem is that the film's many layers keep you from connecting with the characters because you have no chance of knowing which parts are true or not anyway. A brave attempt, that would have worked so much better had it been a little more straight forward.
3niR
3niR

May 8, 2011
Long, confusing and boring.
Mark W

August 14, 2010
Little known Belgian director Jaco Van Dormael - in only his third film in almost 20years - tackles the bigger conundrums of life, in the nature of existence, love and the life force surrounding us all.
It tells the story of 'Nemo' (Jared Leto) the only human being left on the planet, that will die naturally, in the year 2092. Now 118years old, he is on his deathbed and relaying his life story to a young journalist. He goes back to when he was a young boy and forced to choose between his parents when they got divorced. Not happy with being put in that position, he chose both. This resulted in opening up alternate realities and infinite possibilities as we follow Nemo through the numerous choices he made (and didn't make) throughout his life.
Parts of the constantly changing realities are told from a childs eyes like Van Dormael's superb debut "Toto the Hero" and full of visual flair and wonder. This is a highly creative European director making his craft more accessible to a wider audience. I just hope that a wider audience pays attention. The film is rich in it's vibrancy and imagination and you dont get much more ambitious than tackling Chaos Theory, String Theory and the Butterfly Effect. Analysing the choices one makes in life and the eternal rippling effect it has, creating alternate realities and what could have beens. Entropy and the randomness of our existence. Posing the question as to whether it matters in what we choose in life, as the other possibilities are just as valid and important.
I could quite easily give this five stars for it's sheer beauty and ambition but as I drifted a little throughout, due to it being slightly overlong, I've decided on my current rating. That is, until such times as I see it again. Then again, maybe I've seen enough to formulate my opinion but only time will tell, and time after all, is relative.
If invested in, its very rewarding.
Julian Left
Julian Left

October 23, 2010
"A great story about "what-ifs" and the incredible aspect of time..."

Jaco van Dormael surprised me with this non-linear story about the meanings behind the time as an adjuster of life... There is no explanation for the end but more of a question about it: the what if segment of life. What if the end is no near what we think it is? What if the end is reversible and any action we performed in life we could reperform after the so-called end. The point of this movie was, without a doubt, to make yourself think about the different possibilities of this deep question about everything we know. By the look of that, I agree that this director is a big fan of Kubrick's Odyssey since this movie kind of challenges the same system of beliefs. It's a powerful film, emotional I could say since it delivers a lot of messages about love, hate, insanity, about what is sanity, about loneliness and progress. It's a beautiful work and I had to give this movie credit for being not that original but much more interesting and well executed than ninety percent of the movies released in the last years.

The cast was my big problem. I couldn't actually like anyone besides Jared Leto. They all seem dull with their characters and had a flat approach for them. The characters though were developed good and you could always connect pieces from each different story without having a hard time. The best part of this movie I tend to say it was the editing which was simply great, lots of beautiful shots arranged in the proper order... That's what kept me interested in the movie besides the story: what should I expect from this scene? where will the movie head after this scene? and so on... By the way, the soundtrack fitted the movie almost perfectly.

I recommend this movie to any person who enjoys smart storylines and interesting characters. This movie could have been executed better, without a doubt considering the decors could have been a little bit better, but it impressed me how much the director did with so little... I'll give this movie my next ratings and see you on my next review...

Storyline/Dialogue: 9/10.
Acting: 7,5/10.
Art Direction: 8,5/10.
Cinematography/Editing: 9/10.
Soundtrack/Score: 8,5/10.
Visual Effects: 7,5/10.
=============================
Overall: 8,3
Sheldon C

April 24, 2011
MR. NOBODY is director Jaco Van Dormael's meditation on life and its choices. It is as beautiful as it is evocative, disjoint as it is stirring, both a futuristic sci-fi and a love medley, heartfelt and humanistic in all its elements. This experimental narrative boasts stunning visuals, crisp editing, a moving soundtrack, and a high-concept story that is both fascinating and original - one that will undoubtedly provoke your mind and leave you pondering its profound and interesting questions.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

October 16, 2011
"Nobody knows the trouble I've seen, Nobody knows, but Jared!" Actually, this film is about some 118-year-old man trying to remember the troubles he's seen, so I don't reckon he even knows, which isn't to say that watching him try to figure out isn't as uninteresting as it sounds. This film is pretty much a combination of "Fringe", "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "The Butterfly Effect", "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" and "The Fountain"... on acid. Well, if you've ever seen those efforts, I suppose that acid statement goes without saying. Actually, I think a better comparison is just "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", or at least one scene, because if anyone remembers that scene in which Benjamin describes all of the events preceding a car collision, then started all the way over to talk about what could have happened differently, this is pretty much that "The Movie", and I make such a specific reference because I feel that if you're aware of this film, then you must have seen "Benjamin Button", seeing as how this is probably - ready for a bombshell - ... Jared Leto's most obscure film ever, and strutting Sam Rockwell, that's saying a lot. Well, that is quite the shame, because on top of being the most obscure film starring Jared Leto, this is film is, well, pretty awesome to be such a European art film, probably because it's actually English-language. Hey, I don't want to sound shallow as a film buff who is supposed to be well-versed in European cinema, but this thing is confusing enough in a language I understand, which isn't to say that the problems end there.

If this film is absolutely nothing else, it's mighty dynamic, or rather, too dynamic for its own good, even within tone, which has a tendency to jarringly break between color, maybe even tongue-in-cheek humor and fluff, as well as weighty dramatic tension and resonance, and even profound artistry, but at least keeps consistent in a certain heavy-handedness, which plagues fluffier aspects with a certain cheese, weightier aspects with melodramatics, and the more artistic aspects with overblown themes that sometimes comes to the border of, if not cross into pretense. The film's eccentricities and histrionics, even with the tonal unevenness taken out of account, limit a sense of intrigue, further worn down by a certain unevenness to atmospheric bite, because even though there are a number of unexpected colorful spots to keep entertainment value pumping pretty firmly, bland spots established through quiet dryness stiffen pacing, forcing you to feel every beat of a storytelling style that is often realized enough to not descend into dullness, but is sometimes actually pretty boring, perhaps frustratingly so. The film is so well-crafted that it entertains much more than plenty of other extreme meditative art pieces, but that just makes it all the more unfortunate once atmosphere dries up and the effort finds itself slipping into a certain coldness, caused by overly thoughtful directorial touches whose questionability goes matched by certain odd touches in writing, which don't exactly end with the aforementioned overblown tonal extremes. The film thrives on style in many, many different forms, and each one of those forms often get carried away in their handling, bloated with inconsequential filler set pieces that often devolve as visually and thematically bizarre in their being so artistically overblown. The film is so stylistically ambitious that substance suffers, seeing a disjointed narrative that often sacrifices genuine depth for offbeat stylization, and is convoluted on its own by an arguably overly complex storyline that is itself too ambitious for its own good. It's difficult to fully describe how convoluted and overstylized this extreme art piece gets to be at times, but rest assured that there is a lot of danger in Jaco Van Dormael's questionable ambitions as an artistic filmmaker whose efforts are so remarkably inspired and realized that they transcend the shortcomings and craft a final product that is, not simply rewarding or strong, but truly outstanding, but nonetheless has its directorial issues, which, upon meeting such other issues as tonal unevenness and heavy-handedness, as well as dull spells, make quite the challenging drama. Yes, I say that this drama is challenging because it has its misguided aspects, like too many other art pieces which range from barely rewarding to pretty much disastrous, so I can't promise that this film is for everyone, but even for me, a critic who is particularly cautious with his take on films this artistically overblown and overambition, this effort succeeds relatively substantially, through all of its shortcomings and questionable traits, as a relatively outstanding piece that delivers on profound substance, in addition, of course, to phenomenal style.

Even the film's musical style stands pretty far out, flaunting a killer soundtrack that is richly diverse, with delightful classic songs that range from many, many different generations and include Buddy Holly's "Everday", Pixies' "Where Is My Mind", Otis Redding's "For Your Precious Love", Wallace Collection's "Daydream", a bunch of different versions of The Chordettes' "Mister Sandman", and so much more, while being joined by hauntingly beautiful scoring, both unoriginal and composed for this film by the now-late Pierre Van Dormael, while at least keeping consistent in sustaining a certain liveliness that isn't usually in this rich of form in art pieces this extreme. With sharp musical tastes and even some nifty little sound mixing tricks, this film is even soaring from an audible standpoint, and from a visual standpoint, it's more-or-less a bona fide masterpiece, with Stéphane Taillasson delivering on stellar art direction whose distinguished production values capture each stage of a timeline which spans from the latter-mid-1900s to the distant future with intricately lavish color, complimented by visual effects that, while held back by a somewhat limited budget, stand out in their blending into this world pretty organically, and being refreshing by their own right in delivering unique and memorably nifty visuals. Of course, the finest polish over the visual style of this film is applied by Christophe Beaucarne's cinematography, whose impeccable definition gives you firm insight into crisp lighting and rich coloration that utilize modern technical proficiencies at their sharpest in order to deliver on breathtaking image after breathtaking image, made all the sharper by the other aspects of visual style just discussed. Storytelling style is where problematic overstylization comes in, if you disregard the strangeness of certain plays with, say, visual style and what have you, because when it comes to most every other artistic expression in this experimental opus, the film is nothing short of a marvel that showcases colorful musical style and transcendent technical and visual style, yet isn't completely all about the style that is handled so remarkably. Overstylization kind of hazes your view into the full potential of substance, and it's not like the basic story concept isn't itself often pretty overblown with its exhaustive layering, yet through it all is an idea for a plot that is, well, utter dramatic genius, juggling so many different branches, almost all of which carry individual intrigue that ranges from solid to profound. From a root story about an old man struggling to recollect the whole of an emotional life during its last day are stories of choosing sides in a family, falling in love, compensating for love lost, caring for and mourning the loss of loved ones, facing approaching doom, finding success and failure, facing the future, and embracing your past for all its worth, and such a plot structure is hard to work with, - as reflected by some dramatic fumblings - but conceptually stellar, and considering how bloated the artistic license of this avant-garde drama is, it's hard to not fear a failure to do justice to potential that, by what has to be some kind of a miracle, is fulfilled by an inspired interpretation.

Jaco Van Dormael's script certainly has its flaws, not just because it's so overblown with questionable stylistic touches to storytelling, but because it has moments in which it gets carried away with fluffier attributes, if not melodramatics and, of course, near-pretentious thematic value, but when it's all said and done, this screenplay plays no small role in bringing life to solid ideas, keeping up some liveliness with clever dialogue and humor, as well as colorful set pieces that, while often strange, carry much in the way of fun factor to endear you during the lighter points in this narrative. As for the deeper attributes of scripting, Van Dormael further delivers, with intriguing, if near-arrogantly ambitious themes on separating reality from fantasy, - and embracing both major attributes in life - that flavor up well-rounded explorations of dramatic depths, anchored by moving sentimental beats and rich, memorable characterization that crafts a worthy roster of characters who are narratively valuable. As thematic devices and dramatic figures who compel by their own right, the characters compel, even on paper, and when it comes to the long run, they are truly brought to life by a cast which is pretty much comprised of charismatic, heartfelt and all committed performances, with standouts that include a devastating Sarah Polley as an emotionally unstable burden on loved ones, and young newcomer Toby Regbo, who is revelatory in his subtly emotional, often passionate and sympathetic leading of the angsty teenaged years of the titular Nemo Nobody character. Of course, it's leading man Jared Leto's performance that is truly soaring, because before Leto went on hiatus as one of today's great actors, he left us with an ever so sweet taste through one of the best performances of his career, in which he has to be seen in order to be believed, due to a mesmerizing diversity that sees Leto effortlessly nailing all sorts of different dialects in the English-born and, in some realities, raised Nobody, in addition to the distinguished dramatic layers that define Nobody as a successful intellectual, a bum wondering what could have been, depressed, loving, unloving, and, yes, even old. Leto is decidedly at his absolute finest when the layers, upon layers, upon layers of aging make-up tarnish his classic good looks and leave him to captivate in his impeccable capturing of the crippled mannerisms and behavior, and a sense of charm, confusion, regret, fear and wisdom within an old men trying to get a grip on a life that rests at its brink, but the sheer diversity of Leto's performance, alone, is simply masterful, and it's made all the better when Leto incorporates subtle touches that go a long way in changing the portrayals of Nobody that still never lose a consistent depth which defines our lead. Leto carries the film with yet another phenomenal performance, but with all my praise of Leto and his peers, as well as the contributors to the wealth of value to style and substance, it's Jaco Van Dormael's directorial orchestration of this drama's attributes that can carry the final product to the excellent point that it does, in fact, reach, despite Van Dormael's questionable touches as a filmmaker, thanks in part to Van Dormael's orchestration of style behind colorful imagery, snappy editing and immersive camerawork which is generally tight in deliverance of aesthetic liveliness, and largely thanks to Van Dormael's tasteful utilization of thoughtfully subtle atmospherics and tender scoring, if not heights in writing and acting that cuts through all of the melodramatics and sentimentality in order to draw on the raw heart of substance and resonance, sometimes piercingly so, to where you are immersed into worthy themes on mortality, and moved by Nemo's intriguing story. Van Dormael has a lot of nerve taking such an abstractionist approach to such real and promising subject matter, and his ambition to bloat style, if not substance, to a convoluted point ought to hold the final product back pretty substantially, maybe even run the risk of destroying this drama, just as an overwrought artistic license has and will continue to destroy plenty of questionable visions, yet this is one of those occasions in which all of the nonsense is filed down and true potential is met, perhaps partly through the artistic ambition, whose sense of uniqueness allows you to attach yourself to an idea that Van Dormael, with the help of a solid technical proficiency, script and cast, breathes so much life into so often, maybe not to where I can promise that anyone will be thoroughly rewarded, but certainly to where I'd be lying if I didn't say that many are sure to join me in falling in love with the charm, intrigue, beauty and depths of this intellectual, emotional and all around artistic triumph.

When the story ends, then the other story ends, then the other story end, and so on and so on, the final product's excellence is seriously threatened by inconsistencies in tone whose extremes carry their own questionable traits, as well as by dull spells in atmosphere, overstylization, and convolution, all behind overambition, but near-miraculously secured through the snappy editing, solid soundtrack, immersive art direction, nifty visual effects and breathtaking cinematography that define outstanding style, as well as through the thematically intelligent and dramatically rich scripting, excellent acting, - especially by Sarah Polley, Toby Regbo and, most of all, the stellar Jared Leto - and generally incredibly tight direction that define Jaco Van Dormael's "Mr. Nobody" as a thoroughly stylish, intelligent, moving and outstanding portrait on reality and life, and how both can be radically affected by the subtlest touches.

3.5/5 - Excellent
Brantastic16
Brantastic16

January 7, 2012
Mr. Nobody is a classic example of a film that is crippled by its own ambition. It was overstuffed with too many ideas, none of which were really anything new. The time-shifting narrative was really jumpy and made the film feel disjointed. It was just really unfocused. At times it felt over-stylized and pretentious and at other times, bland. I can't say I downright hated it though. I can respect that the director at least tried to make something extraordinary, even if the execution wasn't quite up to par for me. At least he didn't just take the easy way out by settling for mediocrity like the majority of Hollywood films. However, it's flaws can't be ignored.

The film chronicles the life of Nemo Nobody, a 118 year-old man, the last mortal on Earth. He reminisces to a journalist about his memories as a baby, child, teen, young adult, adult, and so forth, but the story is told in unchronological order. It's not told in a clever way like Pulp Fiction or Memento - it's more of a random cluster of scenes from his life that don't have any sort of a coherent flow to them. The film jumps back and forth between different periods of his life, leaving the viewer confused and frustrated. One of the most noticeable problems with this is that Nemo's character and personality shifts so dramatically (and unrealistically) throughout the different stages of his life that it becomes difficult to really define his character. One moment he's a cynical, depressed teenager, the next, he's a mature man. The next moment, he's an innocent child, and then back to a depressed teenager again. It becomes irritating because I liked his character during some stages, but not during others.

The film is not a complete train wreck though. Lost under all of the excesses and pretenses, there are a few genuine moments of stunning beauty. There is also obviously a great deal of work that was put into the film - in the story, the ideas, etc. It's really a shame that the finished product was not as coherent or subtle as it should have been. I can't hate the film for at least making an effort but its over-ambition, pretension and lack of focus sank this film for me.
anDy
anDy

October 30, 2010
If you are looking for a movie that has an ending, don't look here. If you are prepared to watch a movie that can change the way you look at life, then come right in.
The film Mr. Nobody is much like the title. It is not a very well known film, but once you get to know it, you wonder what you would have done if you hadn't seen it.
Jared Leto plays Nemo Nobody in many stages and many forms, including a decrepit old man, a working family man, a beggar, and even a caveman, amongst others. What I love about Leto in this movie is he doesn't have a dramatic, climactic acting moment, and he doesn't need one. He acts as naturally as the script requires him to. He does this while remaining very believable in his many different roles. I think Mr. Jared Leto, if the world is right, should be expecting an oscar nomination for this. He does in my own fantasy awards line up anyways.
The basis of the story is that Nemo is a 118 year old man who is the last mortal alive, in a world where science has discovered a way to keep people from ever aging or dying. He is asked to recall his life, but he recalls several. Which life was the real one?
Diane Kruger, Sarah Polley, and Linh-Dam Pham also act incredibly well as the various love interests in the different paths of Nemo's adult life. When there had to be connection and chemistry, Nemo and *fill woman's name here* had magnetic, inseparable on screen love. When there had to be tension and some distance, not only could you see the distance, but you can't spot the end of it for miles.
Lastly, the writing is beyond clever and intelligent. Many psychological and philosophical theories are brought to mind, as well as scientific inquiries. This changes the overall meaning of the story in a way that makes you see your own life differently.
Well acted. Well shot. Well written. Everything about this movie is fantastic. I only wish this movie was more well known than it makes itself.

Final Rating: 9.5/10
Justin F

May 2, 2014
There's a theory out there about parallel universes. With my limited understanding I think it goes along the lines of at every point in our lives where we make a decision every possible combination is played out in another universe\reality? Therefore, somewhere out there, there is a Justin who is not a total geek who writes sarcastic, unforgiving film reviews. This other Justin not only has the looks of Jonny Depp but he also has wall to wall charisma and is fighting off the Eva Greens of his world off with a pointy stick. Well ok, you get what I am saying? This process goes on infinitely with every possible outcome played out. The question is if you had the chance to play out every possible outcome before you made a decision in your life, would you take this option? I know I wouldn't and the reason I say this is because I think it's the mistakes we make that make us who we are? And this is where (for me) Mr Nobody is very interesting, but despite this initial premise it never really manages to live up to its initial bold idea. It reminded me very much of Cloud Atlas and About Time in this way but all of them made me think and this is for me, a big plus point for any story.

Mr Nobody starts with the idea that before we are born onto this earth, we know everything about anything. We choose our parents (like the process in a job interview), and the angels kiss us (stay with me) and we subsequently forget everything before we plough our way through the world in complete stupidity and ignorance. But what if one baby slips through the net, misses the kiss and comes into the world all knowing? This is the basis of the story of Mr Nobody. Life for this person would be a very complicated thing and subsequently so is this film? It's almost as if it knows itself at times that it might be a little too much so tries its best to explain things with the aid of a reporter from the future who uses a tape machine borrowed from a museum? Sounds bonkers right, and in truth, it is a wee tiny bit.

To conclude, whilst Mr Nobody is muddled and flawed it has strong qualities. Some will enjoy the vivid imagery which reminded me a little of the very worthy Melancholia. Jared Leto is solid although I didn't much care for his final incarnation. Diane Kruger is also good although I will forgive her for most indiscretions purely for being Bridget Von Hammersmark in the painfully underrated Inglorious Basterds (so much better than Django). If allowed I could write about this for a long time and I already get much criticism for the length of my reviews so ill try to refrain on this occaision. Give it a go and think about what you would do?
Laura C

January 17, 2014
Forgettable.
ascordeiro108
ascordeiro108

April 3, 2011
Confusing as hell, but it makes you think. Specially about the choices in your life.

"When faced with a choice, as long as you "don't choose", there are infinite possibilities, infinite universes which have their own ends."
Mike T

December 18, 2009
Unfortunately, I predict that critics will ruthlessly thrash this movie. It will be belittled, called pretentious, mocked and spat on. It doesn't deserve to be ridiculed. It makes a noble attempt to present something heartfelt and original. In my opinion, it misses the mark... but it tries, and that's more than can be said for the majority of mainstream releases these days. There are moments of bravura filmmaking - director Jaco Van Dormael uses music brilliantly, and some individual scenes stand out based solely on his technical skill and intelligence. Jared Leto is quite good in the lead as well. Unfortunately, the film strays into too many places and doesn't succeed particularly well in any of them. The futuristic scenes are downright painful to sit through, occupied with an aged Jared Leto who looks more like Hoggle from Labyrinth than a real old man. This is a movie based on a concept, and the concept is both too flimsy and too scattered to hold it up. And, as superficial and hollow as it might sound, Mr. Nobody is far too long. Smart and well-intentioned, but ineffective.
kylemydude
kylemydude

August 4, 2010
A Masterpiece.
Rodrigo R

November 14, 2011
Although it is quite confusing and some people may feel boring is an excellent movie with a powerful story.
Dan B

November 12, 2011
Mr. Nobody is an overlooked piece of brilliance. It's abstract and fascinating like a piece of modern art. This is definitely not for audiences who prefer a traditional narrative or a storyline they can file away tidily in their brains. As for me, I think I need to watch it at least a hundred more times...