Mr. Bean's Holiday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Bean's Holiday Reviews

½ September 25, 2011
Mr. Bean's Holiday, is much more better that the last movie of the title character. But, dispite the good intentions of this sequel, with the old gags of Mr. Bean, the picture became too obvious and the audience, looks like that, just had already saw all that in the television.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ April 12, 2012
Decent sequel to Bean, this is a modest comedic affair with mild laughs, but the material is more strained this time around to try and create a comedy that is both memorable and fun. Mr. Bean's Holiday is a decent comedy with a few good laughs, however with nearly every sequel it fails to deliver something that is very memorable and above all worth it. The material here is decent at best, sometimes it falls flat, and Rowan Atkinson tries too hard. The film made me laugh, but I felt something was missing to make it a good sequel. As far as I'm concerned, this is a decent film that is fun, but lacks anything to really make it stand out. Mr. Bean, the character is as usual dimwitted and lots of fun and Atkinson really delivers what you'd expect from the character. But there's just something lacking in this film to make it a good enough sequel to watch. This is a fun film, but lacks anything that made the series really good. The comedic elements at times don't work. The best way I could describe the film is by saying that it's a decent comedy that is mildly entertaining. I liked the film, but they could have done a better job. The film had so much potential in being a great comedy and due to its idea of Mr. Bean on holiday, the filmmakers had so much potential in delivering a good comedy, in the end it was a decent flick, nothing special with a few laughs.
Directors Cat
November 13, 2011
As much as I love Rowan Atkinson. Everything im this movie has been done before and better before in Bean. The jokes are lame and obvious and despite Atkinson's performance it's far too poorly written. As Johnny English was improved with Johnny English Reborn. Mr Beans Holiday is a step below 1997's Bean.
thmtsang
½ January 1, 2008
Funny man Rowan Atkinson is Mr Bean. He goes on holiday and unwittingly separates a boy from his father on a train journey. He has to try to reunite them.
michael e.
½ December 31, 2010
It just seemed far too much like it was copying the original TV show and to me that's where it falls flat it borrows too much from the TV show
½ July 29, 2010
B
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
i like this movie, ive always been a fan of mr bean and rowan atkinson and this certainly was funny, i find it amazing how its enjoyable even though atkinson doesnt really say antything he truly is talented!!
a good moive, funny and silly but entertaining!!
3niR
½ February 5, 2010
Nice.
February 5, 2010
I have always thought that this guy was annoying, but he sort of pulls through in the most average movie of the year.
½ April 5, 2009
Why did I go? I dont know, must have been bored. The original first few bean TV shows were Atkinson comic genius, then he took it too far. The first movie raised a smile out of me in about two or three places, this second movie did neither...no smiles, no comic genius, just a tired, old, out of date character been dragged out to try and scavenge money out of people, Im sure Rowan Atkinson cant be that desperate for cash.
If your gonna do another movie of anything lets see a Blackadder movie, now that would be interesting.
June 22, 2008
Hahaha. So subtle, clever and very well done. Mr Bean is so hilarious
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ June 13, 2008
Although this film can be very funny in parts some of the film just isn't. A very funny part of the film happens near the beginning of the film in a restaurant, as funny as this was, the concept was clearly taken from an original TV episode of Mr Bean. A lot of the audiences' attention was focused on the facial expressions he pulls at the video camera that he takes with him. While this was funny at first it became rather interminable the more the film went on. The part of the film that takes place in the Cannes film festival is rather boring and lacks entertainment. The funniest part of the film was at the end where all the cars stopped in unison to provide a pathway to the beach and that big joyous song sequence in the end. If you're a fan of Bean, then watch this one.

3.5
May 15, 2008
One of my flixster buddies gave this 2.5 stars with the comment that maybe she wasn't in the mood for a comedy when she watched it. I can wholly relate to this. I really do believe that the mood you are in can, to a very high degree, dictate your reaction to a movie. I was actually in an upbeat mood when I watched this just now, so please keep that in mind if you do read what I'm about to say. . . . First, if you are as big a fan of the mass hysteria -- or as Robert Preston might say, massteryia -- hand-held camera movement as I am : ( then you will appreciate how perfectly Mr. Bean's enthusiastic video camera work warps its way into the whole fabric of this movie. Not only is it very fancifully woven throughout, but it actually works masterfully into the finish with the film premiere at Cannes. Very nifty : ) Atkinson's playing with that video camera all the way through is a brilliant concept. I'm a big fan of Rowan Atkinson from the Black Adder series days. I also love the first Mr. Bean movie. I cannot see or think of the Mona Lisa without smiling, at least. So please bear with me. I have not laughed so hard in recent memory as I did in the hitchhiking sequence here, and I caught a chest cramp laughing at the suicide bit. Sorry, now you know two (more) things about me: 1. I may be a very low-brow, low-IQ humor kind of guy, and 2. I may not be a very well person, mentally speaking. I guess you could even conclude that I'm a bit sick, if you like -- yes, I can, sadly, laugh at suicide from time to time. So be it. I absolutely love this movie. It is the most perfect Atkinson project I've yet seen, and one of the most perfectly executed movies I've seen in some time. Normally, I would knock off stars for the three flaws I find here. I do not like the lack of concern for others that is foregrounded in Bean's coffee-on-the-laptop accident, nor do I enjoy the intentionality in his oyster-dumping-in-purse move, and I especially dislike the knocking out of the Cannes security guard with the purse. These three incidents are indicative of character flaws that are not acceptable. This is not what Mr. Bean is about, people. Mr. Bean is much more about the man who steps off the train to offer protection to the boy -- and in the grand Everyman tradition that is Mr. Bean, no good deed ever goes unpunished. Had I been in on the editing, I'd have left those three glaring characterization gaffs on the cutting room floor. Give us more of the operatic lip-synch money-raising scheme Bean -- stunning writing and direction. But I can't deduct stars for these problems. The overall film is superb comedy. It is comedy so finely wrought that it moves beyond Hollywood-esque churned out run-of-the-mill comedy into the realm of first-rate dramatic comedy with a bullet. You might have heard of the life of quiet desperation. I think I've heard that it could quite possibly be the life many, if not most, of us lead. It is surely Bean's life, and it is the life that those of us who may lead it, might well long to escape. That very end with Bean's seeing the actual ocean -- his one dream -- leading to his romping in the water, finishing with the whole cast singing together in celebration of community -- I kid you not, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it. This, by the way, is the best work Willem Dafoe has managed in a very, very long time, and even his character is "saved," if you will, transcending the mundane, that rut, the sadness of his entrapped small sameness, to celebrate participation in the grand festival that is life shared with others. And who is Emma de Caunes? We must see more of this actress asap. What a beautifully near-perfect work of art. I gotta put it on my Top 100 list right now.
February 26, 2008
Rowan Atkinson's faces may be worth the viewing. Otherwise, just pass it.
arashxak
½ November 5, 2007
Sweet & Lovely
August 23, 2007
I had always dismissed this Mr. Bean as a sort of english characterization of Dana Carvey...a one-trick-pony, who's welcome has long since been worn out. Well, despite my best efforts, that Mr. Bean cracked me up.
SilentWarProductions2009
May 14, 2007
Directed by: Steve Bendelack.
Starring: Rowan Atkinson, Willem Dafoe, Emma de Caunes, Jean Rochefort.

Mr Bean has always held a place in my heart, I grew up watching his skits that you could buy on VHS and I could never stop laughing, Rowan Atkinson's truly original character was always witty and funny without ever having to speak any dialogue, his essence on screen was brilliant.....then came the Bean film, its been a few years since I have seen it but I remember it being tolerable enough and then we are slapped in the face with this piece of cinematic shit and I am at least thankful it didn't completely put me off Bean altogether, but it does shut the door (in a very bad way) on a character that should have finished years ago.

Lets state the obvious, the film is insanely predictable and reaches a new level of cliche, the story is extremely thin and so are the secondary characters, there is no real coherent plot to it at all.......but I didn't expect anything different when I saw this, but I did at least want to see some classic Bean at his best, but instead we are force fed these disturbingly unfunny and badly staged sequences....Rowan Atkinson I feel does try with what he has and he got a chuckle or two out of me for showing faint signs of the great memories.

I think it is certainly time for him to put his character to rest and not let another talentless filmmaking team attempt to hack and ruin Bean again.....at least I have my memories still intact. Major disappointment.
½ August 13, 2007
Waitress on Train: Un café?
Mr. Bean: Oui.
Waitress on Train: Du sucre?
Mr. Bean: Non.
Waitress on Train: You speak very good French.
Mr. Bean: Gracias!

Bean is a very one way or the other kind of character. Some people enjoy him and others don't. Its understandable and I enjoy him.

His character revolves around him being a man-child, socially awkward, and a fish out of water everywhere he goes.

For this film, he wins a trip to Cannes. He is given train tickets and a video camera, and sets off on his latest adventure.

Of course during this trip he gets on plenty of Zany mishaps, with somewhat hilarious results.

I enjoy watching Rowan Atkinson's character, and this movie is enjoyable, even if it is a little tame and thinly structured. But then Willem Dafoe comes in and adds to this movie. He plays a film director in Cannes premiering his latest film, and gives the movie some of its best moments.

This coupled with Bean's determination to get to the beach, make this an entertaining film.
½ August 25, 2007
A clever concept, inventive script and wondrously whimsical execution makes Mr Bean's Holiday a comical joy.
deano
½ July 24, 2007
So hilarious with British funnyman Rowan Atkinson returns as the bumbling Mr. Bean in this second cinematic outing for the TV icons. His trademark slapstick humour and facial contortions give me great laughs.