Mr. Deeds Goes to Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town Reviews

hunterjt13
½ May 20, 2014
An "everyman" inherits a fortune but is surprised by the culture of his upper class peers.
Frank Capra must have had the most simplistic ideas about wealth and morality. Between this film and You Can't Take It with You, Capra's economic philosophy must begin and end with "Money makes you bad." This is not to say that Capra believes money is corrupting force, but to say that Capra's films imply that anyone pursuing wealth must do so at the expense of his/her soul. But even Capra's construction of the "everyman" is problematic because Gary Cooper's character, while basically decent, is a bit of an asshole. He goes around punching people or threatening violence because he believes a good swift knock is the best way to clean someone's clock. Mr. Deeds might be a swell guy, but by golly, don't cross him.
Overall, Capra, one of Hollywood's classic filmmakers, is overrated
November 13, 2011
Another inspiring tale from the master. Gary Cooper is brilliant.
November 23, 2006
God, I loved this movie! Not only is Mr. Deeds Goes to Town yet another of Frank Capra's best works but it manages to do what every other great Frank Capra movie does -- restores my faith in humanity, gets me teary-eyed and has me clapping at the end. Admittedly I was on the fence about Gary Cooper when this movie started but I loved the man by the end. The echo scene was hysterical and for as much as I started to roll my eyes at the beginning of the courtroom scene, I felt as bad doubting Capra as the characters in the movie did doubting Deeds. Unfortunately I couldn't stop thinking about the awful Adam Sandler remake the whole time but its probably for the best I saw that one first (I know, I know...) as I'd probably make it my life's mission to drop an anvil on his head. As for the Capra one, you cannot go wrong...!
jamers2011
February 5, 2011
What a great classic film! Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur are absolutely perfect!
September 3, 2010
If you've seen Mr. Deeds, the one with Sandler, you should really see the original movie with Cooper. Arthur is such a great actress, and she's great in this movie too. The movie is funny, realistic, and insightful, much more so than the remake which was just stupid.
May 6, 2007
So much better then I was expecting!

A really funny, touching and surprising film that just makes you smile! One of Capra's best.

Does anyone think Daniel Craig stole his DNA from Gary Cooper?
January 7, 2014
A very cool Capra film that has the usual questioning of the purpose of life with good heartwarming moments. I don't even want to speculate on what the Adam Sandler remake provides. Gary Cooper in one of the few performances in which he is not annoying.
April 24, 2010
Kind of boring. I wasn't a huge fan.
½ November 19, 2008
A good Capra classic.
½ March 31, 2016
Frank Capra spins another heartwarming yarn while Gary Cooper channels his inner child in "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town," an interesting take on the fish out of water story with a killer, left-turn of a third act. It may not have as many jokes per page as the 2002 remake "Mr. Deeds," but the narrative spine and thematic footing of this piece is just too strong to ignore. Frank Capra and screenwriter Robert Riskin still seem to possess the clear winner of the two "Deeds" films with this 1936 smirker.
October 12, 2015
Now I've seen everything.

Longfellow Deeds is a simple Vermont small time card writer and local good guy. He inherits $20 million dollars from a family member and is quickly swarmed by those who hope to ruin his name and extort his money. A journalist assigned to report on him initially hopes to post slander on Deeds and then falls in love.

"Oh, you're drunk."
"Oh, you're right."

Frank Capra, director of It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It Happened One Night, Arsenic and Old Lace, and Lost Horizon, delivers Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. The storyline for this picture is interesting and contains a wonderfully written and executed main character. The acting is awesome and the cast includes Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur, George Bancroft, and Lionel Stander.

"Never get your hopes up again."

I came across this Gary Cooper classic on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and had to DVR it. This was very well done; and while at times Cooper could be annoying, the overall script, character, and plot came together well. I recommend giving this a viewing if you enjoy classic tales.

"You'll find the smelling salts in the medicine chest."

Grade: B
September 6, 2015
Gary Cooper's performance is the celebration of the human spirit pursuing happiness and maintaining itself while fighting off the corruption within cynicism, and also draw in some laughs to help the spirit. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
July 15, 2015
Mr Deeds 1936

Powerful scene was when guy who was a farmer and lost his job comes downstairs to yell at Mr. Deeds for spending money wrong for parties.
It was powerful after he had been betrayed by girlfriend reporter.

Powerful, funny, and real. There is an honest sensarity.

I like the lighting, siliuets and of scenes.

Mr. Deeds sanity is in question because of his caring, generosity and givingness.

Think That the body expressions are very well done by Mr. Deeds. Smallest micro-expressions tell a lot. Slightest smile, hands over mouth, eye contact.

It does not require

Silence was a big deal in the court scene.

Funny and sad when everyone in the court interrupted to protect and defend Mr. Deeds position in the court.

This film invented the terms doodle & pixelated to be brought up in films. Do silly things contemplate and think.

John Wray as farmer.
Longfellow Deed's by Gary Cooper.
Frank Capra picture.

Frank Capra did a great job on this film.

It is a film that can make you cry.
½ March 10, 2010
A misfire from Frank Capra. It is not as heartwarming as people say. (First and only viewing - 3/10/2010)
February 28, 2014
Gary Cooper played a believable character. A beautiful movie to watch with family that could still instill good values that were at stake after the great depression.
July 3, 2013
You are pixilated. Loved the sisters. Everyone puts down the simple minded men and women, but they are the most caring in the world. They know how to work and make dreams come alive.
June 28, 2013
Mr. Deeds is really a very intelligent and beautiful affair, a film no less charming than Mr. Capra's It Happened One Night at the same time that it is definitely more profound.
June 13, 2013
Good Movie, Stupid Ending!

The movie is perfectly fine until you get to the ending! [Spoiler Alert] When they haul Gary Cooper into court because he is supposedly crazy for giving away his money is just plain dumb! It sets up an impossibly silly and cornball ending that undoes whatever good qualities this movie has.

I have always thought that Frank Capra is an acquired taste, and this movie proves it!
March 21, 2012
No, this does not star Adam Sandler! Frank Capra directs the very charming Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur in this morality play that may seem like a warm-up for Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" but that's okay.