43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium Reviews

Jens S

November 13, 2007
This cute little fairy tale about an ancient but quirky toy store owner with odd powers taking the matters of heritage for his store in his own hands is a deeply naive film. If you accept that or if you're young enough not to notice it between all those multi-colored toys, hugging monkeys and rockets, this is quite a charming and sweet film. Some parts feel a bit arbitrary and forced but there is no being mad at Dustin Hoffman when he does his little boy smile or when Natalie Portman finally finds her career of choice thanks to banker Jason Bateman. Kids should most certainly have fun with this, but even adults who still know about the feeling of wonder upon entering a toy store should have enjoyable 90 minutes with this little film.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 17, 2011
Mr. Magoriums Crappy Emporium. This film was boring, and its exsistence is only for kids to come because of a magical toy store, woopdy freakin doo kids, have a magical time at this crap.
michael e.
michael e.

February 1, 2011
a movie that is like the toy shop version of "Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory" and the movie was good and i appreciate its kiddy feel to it
Anthony L

December 20, 2010
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium isn't without magic, Dustin Hoffman is really good as the title character and its use of special effects is non-gratuitous and well balanced. It also approaches the subject of death really nicely and probably could be shown to kids as a tool on how to deal with bereavement. Unfortunately though, there are holes. Natalie Portman's performance is far from magical, the whole production seems rushed and you can't help but feel you've seen this movie before. Great for young kids, although there may be tears before bedtime. Best bit: Kermit the Frog cameo! The world would be a better place if at least one Muppet stared in every film, don't you think?
KJ P

September 25, 2010
An extremely underrated kids film that I have waited far too long to see. Dustin Hoffman plays a character that you can easily fall in love with, and Natalie Portman alongside him, plays the perfect role to add that much more spirit to the film. It's never dull (ironic), it's fun, witty, charming, and beautifully crafted. The CGI is funny but it's a kids movie, so who cares. It's harmless fun entertainment that hopefully people of all ages will enjoy, because I sure did. Jason Bateman plays a very boring and straightforward character who ends up actually being delightful. This film is not a just a fun kids movie, but it has loads of spiritual meaning on the outside. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium soars with imagination!
Lafe F

July 31, 2007
I am a huge fan of the 1992 film "Toys", which is similar, but I consider 'Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" a sad miscalculation. This movie was quite flat; I wasn't moved by any of the actors' performances. I didn't laugh or cry as intended by the director.

I couldn't sympathize with Natalie Portman's flat acting. Her beauty was limited by a short boyish haircut; she didn't have enough sparkle until the end; was that the point? I didn't understand her lack of belief in the magic if she had been working at the emporium since she was a little girl.

Dustin Hoffman's Mr. Magorium character felt overacted, as he was trying to make him as oddball as possible. His lispy manner of speech came off as fake and annoying. I couldn't believe he was 243 years old or that the store had run so many years without paying any taxes. Dustin's bubble-wrap tap dance and hospital visit scenes were cheesy; but I liked his journey to the stars.

I appreciated Jason Bateman's accountant character. He seemed like the only real person in the movie. It got annoying how the other characters constantly referred to him as a "mutant". I was hoping the plot would take him into a romantic relationship with the boy's mother or Natalie Portman's character, but it never went anywhere; romance was needed to balance the plot.

What was the message of this movie? Perhaps it could help kids deal with the sensitive issues surrounding death? Other scenes hinted at faith, belief, and never letting go of our inner child, but it never is made clear enough.

The Emporium setting existed in a vacuum; I never got the sense that it was in a bustling American city. Apart from the sock monkey, the toys seemed awkward to play with. What was the point of the creepy bookmaker in the basement who rarely appeared?

My biggest complaint with this movie was how abruptly it ended, as if they ran out of budget. The movie promised the future of the store under new ownership, but the filmmakers didn't give us any of that. The characters had unresolved conflicts. The makers bored us with sappy and depressing scenes, but when it came time for a happy ending and truly wonderful things to happen, they dumped it to credits. That's bad showmanship. Maybe they can redeem themselves with a director's re-cut which has a fulfilling wrapup.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

August 16, 2010
I've seen it once and the movie is so not memorable. Natalie Portman and Dustin Hoffman have better things to do than be in this movie. The only good thing that came out of this movie was Kermit the Frog's cameo.
Phil H

December 3, 2007
Just a rehash of so many films here its just bad. This shows how badly the studios are lacking original ideas. there's hardly anything new here atall, its sickly, predictable, badly acted,no real plot and no real point to it. a magical man owns a magical shop and thats it, its just Willy Wonka in a shop for christs sake haha. I admit it looks great, very colourful and like an illustration from a childrens story book. The kids will like it for that but I'm sure even they may find it boring. Nothing happens in this..its just totally unadventurous in every aspect. Portman has a silly name and Hoffman is annoying with his lisp, avoid.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
C-
3niR
3niR

March 18, 2010
Interesting movie. I love magical story.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 20, 2007
i watched this film with my family for family movie night fully expecting not to like it, i was pleasantly suprised. its been widely panned, but this is one of those rare occasions that i just dont think critics are opening their minds enough to see the wonderment and creativity offered by a film like this. maybe if more critics watched this film in their living rooms with little kids they would get it. its a delightful film that actually works on many levels, where being silly for the sake of silly made sense rather than annoyed. im glad my kids made me watch it and i know i will revisit this film at some point.
Sophie B

March 17, 2008
No way as good as the trailer suggested. I just didn't connect at all with the characters and felt bored during it. I didnt like the boys narration for some reason. The only good thing about it was the great performances from the 4 main characters. I did enjoy the very last end bit however. Also when the kid was playing in his room with the older man. I must say that was funny.
cosmo313
cosmo313

October 26, 2008
All of the comparisons to Willy Wonka are totally warrented. Hoffman has a great time chewing the scenery, and Bateman and Portman do the best with what they have to work with, but the end result is still pretty bland and mediocre, but everyone involved still gave it a good effort.
Chris G

October 15, 2008
Mr.Magorium's Wonder Emporium feels like a cross between Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Night at the Museum. The film is about a 200+ year old toymaker (Dustin Hoffman) who runs a magical toy shop. When he decides to leave the business it's left up to his manager (Natalie Portman) to keep the magic going.

Like I said the premise is related to both Wonka and Night at the Museum, which could be a problem because I didn't think Museum was a very good film. I actually enjoyed Mr. Magorium more. The film is filled with eye candy and even though it's total fantasy, you can almost buy what's happening on screen. It's not a great movie but it's much better than most of the children's fantasy fare out there.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

October 13, 2008
This is a sweet film starring Natalie Portmand and Distin Hoffman as an owner of a magical toy store....cute idea.
Leigh R

September 21, 2007
Love it!!!
Luke B

July 13, 2008
One word for this film is delightful. Bright colours, a decent message, and even handles the issue of death in a calm, approriate manner. Good performances also keep attention for older viewers but overall there is too much talk about feelings, desires and the existence of magic and not enough on show. There's no adventure here, but it is charming and smile enducing with a few laughs.
arashxak
arashxak

July 2, 2008
Below average cliche with a few good moments, Good for kids I guess
deano
deano

November 14, 2007
Above average comedy-adventure of the family movie in the most amazing toystore in the world. That film is possible a delight for adults, and a jubilation for kids. Natalie Portman looks so beautiful in her performance.
_kelly .

April 12, 2008
This works as a kids' movie, but, unlike the best children's films, not for the intoxicated adult. The acting talent is there of course, but the dialogue often feels far too forced and is riddled with little morals and quotes to remember. Good stuff for young kids, but I didn't encounter any profundity. Moves at a good clip and doesn't slack, had some very obvious "Big" and "Willy Wonka" references and plenty of plugs for some more offbeat toy manufacturers, e.g. UglyDolls. Don't go out of your way for this even if you dig fantasy, but if it's about, it won't bore.