• PG-13, 2 hr. 10 min.

100% New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Mr. Pip Reviews

August 25, 2014
A novel based movie and partially a true story that set on a Pacific island with the backdrop of the 90s civil war. The film was directed by a New Zealand filmmaker who was known for 'Shrek' and 'Narnia' movie series. One of the best movies of the year 2013 I have seen. Looks like it was not noticed largely, but definitely worth to give a try. Little slow in narration, especially the opening which talks about the inspiration of a masterwork. But the main plot was strong and ends very powerfully with a message about facing reality of life.

This was the story of a teenage girl, Matilda. It begins in a remote island of the Pacific nation Papau New Guinea. As it was raged with civil war, many were already fled the scene and the few who overstayed are living in a tormented life. One of them was a British citizen called Tom Watts, who is married to a local woman. Like every other he refused to leave, but he had another reason that his wife was sick. When schools are closed he's given a charge to teach kids. The children like him and the story he tells. In a short while whole community joins. Now everyone like him, but with a little misunderstanding the scenario changes which brings a twist in the tale. And the story moves to the next level from the perspective of Matilda, who witnessed all these cruelties before it wraps up as her memories of the childhood life.

''We all need a change sometimes
to help us on our way.''

A unique movie, including the cast and culture of the community from the where it has taken place. Hugh Laurie was good, but the others were impressed me a lot. Especially the lead girl who came up on the screen as the character Matilda. She was so cute and also performed incredibly awesome. The whole story narrated from her view as what she saw. It commences as a regular drama and showcases the lifestyle of the small community. Very nicely developed each scene, in fact, the story was highly connected to the Charles Dickens novel 'Great Expectations'. Not as a story wise, but as the inspiration. I would say it was a smartly done work by the author who wrote this book (Mister Pip). In the film adaptation as well, everything was showed neatly. Including the diverged plot that occasionally appears with all the beautiful costumes which imitates the Dickens novel. The last quarter of the movie brought an unexpected shock that I was not prepared for. Afterwards it pulls as much it can with the sustainable amount of sentiments till the final credits roll up. It is another excellent movie that is not a must see, but you will come to know its worth if you give a try.
May 13, 2014
This was an amazingly intense movie - excellent and unvarnished - well-acted by all.
May 4, 2014
The film is only for those who have read "Great expectations" The film is not for me :( but its nice and kinda poetic
April 15, 2014
I don`t get the feeling because i haven`t read the book. It was bad because, every adaptation movies like this should can describe precisely every words in the book.
November 1, 2013
Stunning, painful, deeply moving as well as inspirational
January 8, 2014
Full of holes and boring.
September 10, 2012
An excellent film, but difficult to watch in some scenes. This lovely film gives the viewer a beautiful vision of life in a stunningly beautiful yet brutal part of the world, where mistakes can have permanent consequences. Laurie is restrained and resigned in this role, reminding us why he is such a favorite with audiences. Xzannjah in the role of Matilda is a charming discovery. An amateur, as are nearly all of the local cast- reminds me of a young Bougainvillian Audry Hepburn. I hope to see her in more films soon. My only regret is that this film may havea limited regional release. It deserves to be seen by a wide audience.
December 7, 2013
An amazing story (if somewhat undertold) that gives a real sense of what it was like in Bougainville during the time of the rebel insurgency. Hugh Laurie is fantastic as Watts but it is the amazing Xzannjah as Matilda that really steals the show.

While we still had questions at the end of the film, they were questions we were happy to discuss afterwards...and that is a sign of a good film, I think.
Marc Cerone
November 3, 2013
Good ole dandy originality.
October 26, 2013
Not so much a review as a caveat - the film was extensively re-edited and significantly tightened after equivocal responses to its showing at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2012 - any reviews listed from 2012 will be from prior to this re-edit.