20% Transcendence Apr 18

Mr. Popper's Penguins Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

June 16, 2011
Silly and puerile but little kids may like it.
Lucas M

June 15, 2011
Just because is with Jim Carrey, doesn't mean that it's funny.
Cynthia S

May 16, 2011
Absolutely adorable. Funny. Charming. Jim Carrey at his best!!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

May 22, 2011
Cast: Jim Carrey, Carla Gugino, Madeline Carroll, Angela Lansbury, Ophelia Lovibond, Jeffrey Tambor, Philip Baker Hall, James Tupper, Clark Gregg, Dominic Chianese, Kelli Barrett

Director: Mark Waters

Summary: In this live-action adaptation of Richard and Florence Atwater's classic children's book, Jim Carrey takes on the titular role of Mr. Popper, a businessman who inherits a small flock of penguins and must transform his Manhattan apartment into an arctic habitat.

My Thoughts: "I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was charming and funny. Jim Carrey is a favorite and it's hard not to find him entertaining in any film he does. Although I do think the penguins may have outshined his performance. They were adorable. It's a great film for the family and kids."
Shawn E

April 22, 2011
Mr. Popper's Penguins is a predictable family film, but it's "Yabsolutely" adorable.
Crash E

November 10, 2011
Sweet light family movie, and it's so easy to watch, Carrey returns in a new cute comedy story.. liked it
Sophie B

September 20, 2011
Despite the obvious and unchallenging script and not so great acting I really enjoyed it simply because I love penguins. There were quite a few really funny parts and a few not so funny parts but overall I found it really happy and uplifting film. Penguins are awesome.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

March 28, 2011
Corporate business man Mr. Popper (played wonderfully by Jim Carrey), gets an unexpected delivery, as his recently deceased father sends him a box full of penguins, as part of his final will and testament. Situation humor ensues as he tries to juggle his stressful working life, with his new uninvited room mates. There's a reason Carrey is one of my all-time favourite actors. For only he could turn something as silly as a grown man hanging out with a bunch of mischievous penguins, into something truly enjoyable and watchworthy. I always knew he had the magic, but I never quite expected that he could do it with this film as well. A very fun and charming story, which reminded me a bit of the good old days when he did his Ace Ventura movies. Critics who have rated this have obviously gone in with a predetermined opinion - and yes, I thought it would suck too - but at least I'm honest enough to admit that I was wrong in all my presumptions. Sure, there's a lot of poop jokes and a couple of corny moments, but Carrey's amazing energy makes it easy to endure. Some of his facial expressions alone are just priceless beyond words. It's an incredibly rare gift, that extremely few actors are blessed with in Hollywood. Cynics may have lost the ability to take joy in such things, but for those of us who are fans and still kids by heart, this is a highly underrated comedy treat that provides laughs for all ages.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

May 8, 2011
The life of a businessman begins to change after he inherits six penguins, and as he transforms his apartment into a winter wonderland, his professional side starts to unravel.

Unexpectedly good! The story was sweet and family oriented. The movie was at times funny which is typical with Jim Carrey on a movie. Recommended for all ages.

Tom Popper grew up having very little interaction with his father who was off exploring the world. When he grows up he spends most of time on his work and ignores his children. One day his father sends him an unusual gift: six penguins. Popper can't help but wonder why his father would send him penguins. He tries to get rid of them. But when his children and ex-wife show up to celebrate his son's birthday, the kids are taken with the penguins. And Popper finally gets to connect with his kids and his work suffers.
3niR
3niR

August 24, 2011
I'm not a big fan of Jim Carrey but I actually liked him in here. The dialogues were hilarious and I'm really inspired to get a Penguin as a pet (lol).
Luke B

October 2, 2011
I absolutely love the book. I'm also crazy about penguins. I collect all kinds of penguin memorabilia and will usually give a film about penguins a free pass. So a scathing review from me should really tell you how bad this film is. Let me start by comparing this to the book. Now I don't demand complete faithfulness, but changes made should at least make sense in adapting a book to the screen. This film is almost as if the writers decided to do the exact opposite of everything in the book. In the book Mr Popper is poor, happily married, wants a penguin, gets more penguins to stop it being lonely. In the film he is rich, divorced, wants nothing to do with the penguin, gets more penguins by accident. It leaves us with some tripe that has been done over and over again. Businessman puts business over family, has an inconvenience come into his life, learns the value of family, the end. Please look at The Santa Clause for how to do this. Characters seemed real despite the fantasy elements. Mr Popper's Penguins goes for the most contrived story points imaginable. It's pretty lazy writing, to the point where having Carrey name the penguins was probably an example of the best names these writers could come up with. The film also makes everybody so painfully nice, and then struggles to find a villain. Clark Gregg plays a zoo keeper that is entirely in the right. Yet the film hides him in shadowy cars and gives him ominous music. He should have been the hero of this movie. Krumholtz plays a neighbour whose life is made a living hell with all the noises. Even though it is against the rules to have penguins in the apartments, he is once again played as the villain when he tries to get rid of the penguins. This is a world where levelheadedness is a sign of evil. Further emphasised by dumb ass Gugino. She's the ex-wife that will gladly leave a date for a man that failed at a 15 year marriage, and then thinks that buying pet penguins is a good idea for her kids. It is also a very unfunny film. I can't even remember any jokes, or at least any punchlines. Lots of poo and fart jokes though. This is a film that I would never want a child to see. It gives the impression that parents will just get back together, that your own selfish happiness is above that of other living creatures, that breaking the rules is fine if it's done in a cute way and so on. Please parents, do your kids a huge favor and buy the book. Sit down and read it with them. It will be cheaper and will actually take less time than sitting through this movie.
Tom M

June 21, 2011
I can only handle so much of penguins doing the exact same thing over and over again before it gets incredibly boring. I can also only handle so much penguin poop and falling over before I get sick of the repetitive humor. The conflict in the film is so ridiculously forced that it left me cheering for the villian - of course the penguins should be taken away, it doesnt matter if they're loved or they love their owner, they're PENGUINS, put them in the right habitat where they'll live happier lives! I don't care about Cooper Kiegan, I don't care about the inability to purchase the tavern on the green or any of the obnoxious conflict put in to give the film plot. Jim Carrey is no where near as funny as he used to be either. Forget this movie, either pick up an older Carey movie for the comedy or go get a more enriching film for the family.
Everett J

September 3, 2011
Good family film that is completely implausible, but pretty entertaining. Jim Carrey gives a good performance as a man who works too much and doesn't see his kids enough. Then one day he gets a package with a penguin in it, and it changes his life. The penguins are charming and are the real highlight of the movie. Filmed with real penguins, they have more character than most human actors in other movies. Carrey never really goes over the top into his usual manic comedy, but instead stays grounded for most of the movie. It's not the type of movie that will win any awards, and people will probably forget about it a few hours after they watch it. But kids will love the penguins, and for an hour and a half you'll have some good, family orientated entertainment.
Gregory D

May 27, 2011
This is a kids film. Play this movie for children. That's when its at its best. Otherwise its just okay.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

August 10, 2011
This film is not the best of Jim Carrey's movies. The reason I joined this site is because I felt like this film needed a bit more positive feedback then it's getting. The film is harmless family fun quite simply made just to break box office records. I say this positively but not without any criticism. The film itself can be a bit too lighthearted and care free at times and there sometimes there's not enough going on to entertain the parents and guardians. Like I said earlier this film isn't exactly "The Mask" or "I love you Phillip Morris" which are examples of better films starring Carrey. But overall, it's not a bad film. It's good to see a family film that doesn't bore or contain animated talking animals in a live action feature.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

June 5, 2011
What happened Jim carrey, where did your comedy go and leave us? Mr. Popper Penguins is about Mr. Popper (Jim Carrey, a businessman who is divorced and has a son and daughter, he is a workaholic and doesn't care much for peoples feelings, and when his father dies and leaves him penguins in his will, they make his life a living hell, but his children love them so he cant give them up, but he soons start to grow on them, and they make him a better person. The story of this film is based of a childrens book that won a Newberry award, this is worthy of wiining the Golden Rasberry award for worst film of the year. They turn the plot into a crappy and sappy family film that is disgusting, unfunny, and lame. There is a scene where Mr. Popper hugs the pengins so that they take a crap in the oilet instead of on him, I mean come on, really? Jim Carrey was a genius in the ld days, a comedian mastermind, now it seems hes doing any crap he can find like Yes Man and the Number 23. I Love You Phillip Morris and Horton Hears a Who were good, but it doesn't make up for this disaster of film. The kids are terrible actors and are 100% hollywood, Carla Gugino is just the annoying mom and ex-wife they try to make her be the sound of reason but she isn't funny one bit and I hated the cats, im sorry Jim, I still love you in Dumb and Dumber. The comedy was never funny, I might have laughed once or twice at a few jokes but parents be warned, THIS IS A SICK TWISTED FAMILY MOVIE, there are drug references, penguins crapping all the time, and some prety creepy jokes. This is possibly the years worst film so far, and I sure hop Jim Carrey gets back on the funny boat soon, I miss his classic comedy.
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

June 23, 2011
It's a kids movie. What did you expect? We get the old Jim Carrey back from the 1990s and Bruce Almighty. He cracks quirks, impersonates celebrities and keeps his actions to an over-the-top level. He's always fun to watch and this is no exception. That's about as far as this film goes. It's another Jim Carrey flick with a story and other characters just plopped in around his antics. But let's take a deeper look into Mr. Popper's Penguins.Tom Popper (Jim Carrey) grew up with his dad never really being around for him, always away in the Antarctic researching marine and polar wildlife. 30 years later he's a realtor trying to close a deal to get a run down restaurant from an old stubborn woman (Angela Lansbury). His dad passes away and in his last will gives Tom his greatest findings from the Antarctic; six rare-bred penguins. With all these penguins living in his household, a job on the line, and fighting for the love of his kids and former wife, what is he to do?I don't even want to point out all the changes the movie made from the book. But in case you're wondering a few that stick out include, well for one, that it is modernized. The book was published in 1938 and took place in that same time period. Popper was a poor self-employed painter (not a successful realtor), he has to balance this job with his family he's working to fend for (not divorced and living away from them fending for himself), a admiral from a radio broadcast he wrote to sends him a penguin (not his father who recently passed away), and they end up being twelve penguins (not six). Hope that clears things up.Like I said, Jim Carrey is being Jim Carrey in this movie. It's he's known for and what his fans want. He's classic Jim. He acts real crazy, jumps around, makes weird faces, cracks wise, and like his other films takes his job seriously without being serious. He even comes up with a new catchphrase, "yapsolutely"--"Yeah" or "Yep" plus "Absolutely." He's almost reprising his role from Liar Liar. Divorced father who loves his kids but is so obsessed with his job that he can't seem to hold up a relationship with them.We see him play Tom Popper as he would any character, so nothing new there. As Tom Popper he starts to hate the penguins, then tried to get rid of them, then grows to love them and care for them as if they were his own kids. And we he starts to care he begins looking very washed up. He has snow all around his apartment, with toys, inflatable decorations and a few slides around the place all while changing his wardrobe to bum-like wool garments.The penguins are really the only other memorable parts of the cast. The penguins given such original names. Captain (the leader), Stinky (who farts), Loudie (who's loud), Bitey (who bites, or more like pecks), Lovely (who snuggles), and Nimrod (who's an idiot). Really takes after the Seven Dawrfs, eh? But there's more to these penguins. Like the fart and poop jokes. And these are free thinking animals, too. They enjoy watching Charlie Chaplin... because he looks like a penguin. If you can actually spot a penguin in the movie that isn't CG'd, then I congratulate you because that's quite an achievement. If it's not a penguin or Jim Carrey then you'll moat likely forget the other members of the cast's names easily.David Krumholtz plays Mr. Popper's neighbor, Kent. His role is to get Tom evicted from his apartment because by having penguins he violets the terms of living in the apartment; NO PETS ALLOWED! But we only see him for a minute or two here and there with his role completely unresolved.Clark Gregg is the animal control guy, well, zoo keeper, maybe? Anyway, he's the "bad guy" of the movie and is trying to take away the penguins from Tom. Like every bad guy in a kid's movie they are given a big task for the small job they have and do more than is necessary to make sure it all works out for them.Ophelia Lovibond as Pippi is one I think might actually be remembered somewhat as much as Tom Popper. Not that her role was the biggest but she sure left an impression. Pippi is Popper's personal assistant and she can't get through a sentence without saying as many words as she can beginning with the letter "P." Yeah, this gets pretty annoying.Carla Gugino is Tom's ex-wife, Amanda... and that's about all there is to her character. The kids, played by Maxwell Perry Cotton (as Billy) and Madeline Carroll (as Janie) act as opposites. The boy is exciting and sure acts like the son of a Jim Carrey character. The daughter is another story completely.Madeline Carroll I think is a child actress very much heading towards bigger things. She's a fine actress, although the role she has been given in this film doesn't give her much room to do anything. She takes part as a teenager going through the teenage problem of crushing on a boy and feeling a bit too love-stricken with him believing he doesn't feel the same way about her. Every once in a while we get to hear her say something about her problem and ask Tom for advice in which she completely disregards. The other times we see her she's either texting on her phone or grinning with her brother. One major issue I had with the film was that everyone called Tom Popper, well, Popper. Everyone addresses him that way. Family, coworkers, everyone! His son calls him Popper, his ex calls him Popper. We get it. He's the title character. Now let's move on. Only a few people address him differently. His dad called him "Tippy Toe." And if I'm not mistaken Janie actually calls him Dad and Rick (Jame Tupper) calls him Tom.The character are generic and forgettable, the direction and script rehash and butcher an old story, the effects are all contributed towards CG'd penguins with actual penguins rarely being used, the jokes are mostly Jim Carrey acting weird with the occasion fart or poop joke, and, oh hey, I almost forgot, there's a mega happy ending at the end.After reading a misplaced letter from his dad that's really less inspiring then it sounds, Tom takes action, wins over his kids' affection, he gets along with his ex again, the "bad guy" loses, the penguins are moved to a suitable place to live, the restaurant is now Tom's and everyone is so happy. Does Tom get back together with his ex? Who knows, who cares. Not like there's going to be a sequel. And to top it off we get to hear "Ice Ice Baby" during the end credits. There couldn't be a more appropriate theme to walk out of the theatre to. With all I hated about Mr. Popper's Penguins, I was at least entertained and giggled when I thought something was actually funny. By the noises of the theatre full of kids I was in I could tell they sure liked it. So, this is a kids movie and kids will love it for sure. For all you parents and older siblings I'll let you know that this would make good for a fun day for the kiddies.
Pedro H

April 26, 2011
Mr. Popper's Penguin

Lame

What best way to judge a kids movie than going with children. Luckily I had the opportunity to go with a bunch of kids to the movies only to realize that they were more bored than I was.

A lame story about a rich yet bad dad who gets 6 cute penguins that change his life in a way where he will learn true values.

Overall, Jim Carrey's exaggerated and horrible acting skills make this movie super lame, its so still and boring that no one can truly enjoy it. Don't go watch this movie, you won't like it.

Mr. Popper: "Mr. Popper: Hello! I have to send the penguins back "
Phil H

July 19, 2011
You know what...this is sloppy, highly predictable, daft, schmaltzy and totally cliched beyond belief with every form of sickly hanky inducing move possible, I'm utterly amazed it hasn't been released at Christmas as its that kind of vomit fest...YET at the end of the day its just plain and simply fun.

The most overused plot ever...career minded man has someone/creature brought into his life that starts to screw things up for him and put his precious career in jeopardy. He hates said creature/person and tries to get rid of it asap, failing to do so. Over time he grows to love and care for said creature/person and starts to think its really OK after all. His career and life is put on the line in the end and he must choose between his precious career and new found love/life with creature/person, he chooses creature/person, everyone loves him for it and he lives happily ever after with creature/person and family.

Personally I think Carrey has long lost his golden touch and his goofy films no longer hit the target as they once did back in the mid 90's, in this film hes simply the same Jim Carrey as he is in all his other silly films but slightly more reserved, no change. His broad tombstone grin, floppy hair and madcap antics now seem rather dated and boring as he clearly looks aged and past all this, do we have to put up with silly repetitive childish comedies forever more now?

So yes this film is fun and cheerful (accept for the hugely annoying girly teen boyfriend issues we are subjected to from Popper's daughter) without too much of Carrey's lunacy but its also very very lax stuff and hardly hitting the heights Carrey is used to. Kids will love I'm sure as the penguins are pretty much the stars of the show being oh so cute hehe but to be honest you've seen this film already...many many times before, its that formulaic.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Surprisingly funny, though even though I don't remember the book much, it is quite obvious that this is not very faithful to the book.