43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

86% The Knick: Season 1

Mrs. Brown Reviews

Spencer S

June 22, 2014
Stories of England's many queens have been overflowing in the past twenty years, "Mrs. Brown" being one of the first examples, followed shortly by "Elizabeth." Judi Dench is phenomenal, as always, and courts the film as a strong leader, a wailing widow, and a great friend to her manservant, John Brown. While the film alludes to the two having an intense bond, this is not a torrid romantic drama, and very much retains respect for the monarchy. Victoria is a grieving widow throughout, as she was in life, but Billy Connelly's performance as John Brown spices up her life and brings her out of seclusion. The ending would have to be the least enjoyable thing about this film, as it just sort of ends without much explanation, and this beautiful relationship that they've built up throughout the film is abandoned. It feels like there wasn't a point in the film in the first place and upends everything they've alluded to throughout the film. Otherwise it was an understated period piece that told a much underappreciated story with zest and life.
thmtsang
thmtsang

January 6, 2013
When Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert dies, she goes into mourning. A highlander comes to court to take her out of her depression. Great cast.
Ross C

November 22, 2007
A fascinating period drama of the post-Albert era in Victorian Britain. The start is very slow, with little dialogue emphasising the coldness of the Queen's state of mind. But as she warms to her new Scottish servant, John Brown, played perfectly by Billy Connolly, an engrossing story emerges.
Hawaiianguy2991
Hawaiianguy2991

February 25, 2010
A well acted and crafted movie that takes us back to the late 1800's where Queen Victoria falls for John Brown a Scott, and how there close relationship leads to scandal in Britian. Judi Dench plays Victoria flawlessly. Mrs. Brown is a great flim based on facts.

Story: A-
Acting: A
Direction: A-
Visuals: A-
Overall: A-

***1/2 out of 4 stars
John B

January 9, 2014
Judi Dench deserved the Oscar for this. The academy made up for its mistake by giving it to her for a 15 minute performance in Shakespeare in Love. This is Judi at her best as Victoria and the awkward and unsure "relationship" that she has post Albert with the Scotsman Brown. Billy Connolly rises to his best as well as the often confused Brown.
Alec B

February 28, 2011
Its one of Dench's finest performances and Billy Connolly is equally amazing. It would be easy to over sentimentalize the events that are depicted here, but we are given an equal dosage of moments with Victoria acting like she has a heart as well as her more well known icy disposition in full force (as when she flies into a rage over the desire of the Irish to have these things called 'rights'). Its a sadly little seen film, which is disappointing because Director John Madden's less interesting projects (i.e. 'Shakespeare in Love') get far more attention.
Sunil J

August 10, 2007
Judi Dench is perfect as Queen Victoria.
Jason R

September 28, 2008
Billy Connolly is one of my favorite actors and he gives one of his best performances as John Brown the loyal servant/bodyguard to Queen Victoria. Judi Dench also gives a memorable and outstanding performance as the troubled Queen Victoria who begins this relationship with Brown, one that as years pass turns into love, but eventually ends in heartbreak.
DrLappos
DrLappos

September 9, 2007
Brilliant and very poignant.
Ina S

January 11, 2007
Perfect little film, Judi Dench is probably the goddess of acting, actually. Connolly is also absolutely fantastic. Great period piece.
May 13, 2012
A very intriguing little piece of history. Highly recommend - Judi Dench's acting is sublime and dead on target.
inhonoredglory
February 23, 2012
A tender, touching film indeed -- recounting the love story between Queen Victoria (Judi Dench) and Mr. John Brown (Billy Connolly), a servant. The beginning of the show portrays the immense aristocracy of Queenhood, and how all her court are bound by the grief for her late husband she has maintained for three years. But Mr. Brown will have none of this mourning; he knows she needs to get out, ride, commune with nature, and laugh again. He manages to accomplish this with a spunk and rebelliousness that will attract any modern audience.
The film does a marvelous job of placing the viewer in the time period. Scenery is breathtaking; setting is perfect. Watch for the scene where the Queen sets the table. Who doesn't love the tale of a monarch falling for a commoner?
Salemslot9
Billy Connolly is great
good movie
dfreebyrd59
June 26, 2009
What a great version and I would of fallen in love with Brown also even the Queen had taste but country first.
courtenaybrown61
April 21, 2009
I loved this movie, not only was it a historical film, but it was well made with the best actors! I always knew Billy Connolly was talented, but I loved seeing him perform a stunning role like John Brown! He was exceptional.

I also love Judi Dench, and noticed "newcomer" at the time, Gerard Butler as John Brown's younger brother. He was electrifying in that small first role!

I suggest everyone see it
January 10, 2009
Judi Dench and Billy Connolly are utterly irreproachable in this conjecture on the friendship between the Queen Victoria and her servant John Brown. Yet shortly after it started, I couldn't wait for it to be over, and I almost wish they'd gone with the more ridiculous ideas about the nature of their relationship. At least then I would have some emotion on this film, and wouldn't have fallen asleep midway through.
logged81
September 1, 2008
Many of my friends have asked why I haven't seen this movie previously. Simply, I am not a big fan of Dame Judith Dench. Good movie, well acted. Nice is all I can say. Oscar worthy performance as so many have claimed, not really.
Soulsauce
July 31, 2008
Fell in Love with Her with this role. Excellent actress beyond the wildest dreams of my understanding. Connelly , did excellent as well. His understanding gave me the bullets to fall as hard as I did watching this!
jo3244
June 19, 2008
My first sight of Gerry Butler and I fell in love with him as Archie. His smile and those expressive eyebrows and that wonderful laugh just make you feel happy too. Gerry showed a great talent coming to the forefront for me even then. I saw this in 1997.
suzzootwo
May 14, 2008
Historical story--adds to your database of knowledge re: all things British. Not enough Gerard Butler in it.