—— The Identical Sep 05

The Mummy Returns Reviews

Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

July 16, 2013
Even though I enjoyed this film, I felt that it didn't meet or top the original. Mainly, I feel that the film focuses too much on the action rather than the horror that the first one created. However, the action sequences were satisfying, from the bus sequence, to the final battle between the Medjai and the armies of Anubis. Even though Arnold Vosloo still maintains his portrayal of power, he loses some of that original power as the danger and importance of his role is replaced with the race against time to stop the Scorpion King from being awaken. Overall, although I enjoyed most of the performances, like Fraser and Weisz, I feel that while it's enjoyable and is re-watchable, for me, its only the action sequences that make this worth returning to, rather than the characters, horror and the few yet strong battle scenes from the first film.
Phil H

April 10, 2012
The one thing I can say about this sequel straight away is kudos for the continuity, Sommers has managed to gather all the original cast to carry on and this does wonders for an otherwise very average film. Usually you tend to see the odd character played by someone else which always looks poor in my eyes.

Any who we kick off again with more nasty villains after treasure and power which we all know will end in tears...and probably some kind of horrible face melting death, there I go with my 'Indy' comparisons again. This time we have the combination of 'Imhotep' back for more punishment with his reincarnated love, 'the Scorpion King' which doesn't really serve much purpose other than to give 'The Pebble'....I mean 'The Rock' a spin off franchise and a small group of nasty well spoken cads led by British thesp Alun Armstrong.

The main problem with this follow up is thus, they gave the now happily married heroes a son as baggage, this of course automatically equals a much kiddie friendly film with allot more slapstick, dumb humour and much much less horror. Of course the first film did very well so you can't blame them for opening up the film for an even wider audience but of course they lose allot of integrity and faith from the more mature fans. I should really point out that they take the Indy comparisons a bit too far by actually dressing all the villains henchmen in the same type of costumes as in 'Temple of Doom'....really that was the last Indy thing I swear.

The entire film is much more of a cgi show this time around, that wouldn't be an issue but the cgi really has not dated well, even less so than the original film, hell even at the time this cgi wasn't too good. Add to this allot more over the top action which becomes too silly, terrible bluescreen shots, a laughable effort at a cgi scorpion cross 'The Rock' monster and almost the same sequences shot for shot from the first film in places...did I mention the horrific cgi?

Yes you get what you pay for here, you want more ludicrous mummy blasting action? you got it, you want action figure characters all dressed in desert coloured attire spouting the most idiotic, state the obvious exposition dialog? look no further. Unfortunately like many blockbuster sequels they just get carried away and completely lose your suspension of disbelief. Can't complain too much as you know exactly what to expect from this and it doesn't pretend to be anything else, personally I think it was just a poor glossy rehash which is more cartoon than film. The final 20min as the action all comes together is one of the biggest cgi messes I've seen ever, everything looks really very clearly artificial, but hey the Egypt setting was an enjoyable ride.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 4, 2007
Sequel to the Mummy. Their son starts a chain reaction that brings back the Scorpion King from the underworld. Good action movie with special effects.
TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
Fun without focus or coherence. Full review later.
Albert K

September 7, 2011
Brendan Fraser. Done deal. As for the movie, it falls for the sequel syndrome. This was a really boring movie...
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 12, 2011
The Mummy Returns is a splendid sequel to the action packed The Mummy. Years have past since the events of the first film, and theres a new threat on explorer Rick O'Connell's hands. The threat is Imhotep resurrection as he attempts to kill the legendary Scorpion King so he can command his army and be invincible. The Mummy Films are splendid action film that blend comedy, horror elements to create an effective film that is a lot of fun. Though some point out the horror elements (I just did), the Mummy and The Mummy returns are both action films. What I like about the film is that it has the Indiana Jones formula but shys away to create something fresh and interesting. Usually sequels are a bore, and we all know the story that the sequels are worst than the first. But in the case of The Mummy returns, I thought it was a finely crafted film with great special effects and decent enough acting to keep it afloat. Sure the film won't win any Oscars, but it's a fun mindless action adventure that is really lots of fun. The film is non stop thrills and will appeal to anyone looking for a mindless, entertaining action film with a fairly good story to boot. A fine sequel that shouldn't get the flack it has gotten. The film is better than you'd expect from a film that follows almost the same path as an Indiana Jones film, but it has a different take on the material presented on screen to keep it good and entertaining.. I loved the first Mummy film, and was than pleased with this film, a fun viewing experience for sure.
Conner R

November 22, 2009
About as near perfect as sequels get. This has a huge scope even compared to the first one and it's the definition of a fun movie. The characters and storyline are better than ever and the additions are purposeful and exactly what you'd want to see. The addition of The Rock only made it more cool, the only way to bump up from Imhotep. The Jungle scenes were actually a great switch up in scenery and the action sequences are still so well done and jam packed.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

April 5, 2007
This part was just a tasty Piece of Candy. I dont think there is another Movie which can beat this one ever!
Richard C

June 24, 2010
C+
3niR
3niR

January 28, 2010
Similar with the first one but wasn't that bad.
Cassandra M

August 12, 2007
Rick and Evelyn now married with a son, find themselves amidst the second coming of Imhotep. After their Son Alex is kidnapped by Imhotep as he seeks the Scorpion King (The Rock) Rick and Evelyn must pursue their sons capture, with the aid of the clues Alex leaves along the way.

Aside from some unusual revelations in Evelyn and Ricks past, the movie concentrates mainly on the action this time out and runs a little short on story.

I liked the evolution of Evey's character, now she's hardened up she makes a mean adversary, and takes part in some good battles.

All in all, I enjoyed the experience and once again the visuals were more than adequate.

If you enjoyed the first, then watch this one, its good fun and has some fine moments.
Anthony L

September 18, 2009
Erm, it?s a complete copy of the first film, nearly down to every frame! Not a very good one at that! Rubbish and lazy!
Jason O

September 11, 2009
I love action movies. You know in the back of your mind that the good people will always win in the end, but you keep watching nevertheless to see what exciting things will happen in their struggles and glories on the way to their success.
Such is the case, of course, with "The Mummy Returns". Brendan Fraser once again returns to do battle after battle with the recently resurrected mummy. You would think that after a couple of years that the mummy would at least be SOMEWHAT rusty, but no! He brought back those pesky little beetles that can eat you alive, armies or walking wolves that have murder in their eyes, and so much more. Oh yeah, and this movie is also where the Scorpion King gets his start.

Just like the original, "The Mummy Returns" manages to keep you on the edge of your seat with its nonstop action; it swallows you whole with its dazzling visual effects and views of the Egyptian territory, and, it even manages to be funny at times. I REALLY can't say which of the two that I like better; that would have to be determined by a flip of the coin.

If you're a fan of awesome action movies, and especially if you liked "The Mummy", do yourself a favor this holiday season, or any other day of the year, and get "The Mummy Returns"! NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2002. Just as good if not better than the original!
Alice S

September 5, 2009
Ugh. Another one of those "I'm too committed to quit" movies. *shakes fist* But I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Patricia Velasquez, who plays Anck Su Namun, also plays Marta in "Arrested Development" :~)
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
the second is just as good as the first and is brilliant and not a let down at all i would like to think everyone has seen it but if you havent it should be on your list to do so
skactopus
skactopus

February 7, 2009
Stephen Sommers delivers The Mummy Returns as a sequel with basically the same cast, same story concept, and same visuals. So, naturally this film is equally as good as its predecessor.The story is more or less the same as the first installment, which involves the stopping of a mummy from ruling the world. One difference this time around is that there is another enemy, who goes by the name of the Scorpion King. The opening sequences provide the historical background to help setup the rest of this 2 hour picture.The pacing is moderate with actions scenes that pop up from time to time. While we are on the subject of action, it is nicely done. There are a variety of different scenarios, which involves shooting, swordplay, and CG effects.The CG is wonderful again, but there are times where it can be disappointing. One of these times is the Scorpion King at the end. Don't let that turn you away, because the movie still looks good.There is nothing new with Brendan Fraser this time around and the beautiful Rachel Weisz steps up for some good sai fights. WWE fans will enjoy seeing The Rock as the Scorpion King. It is too bad he only appears in the beginning, since the ending character is all CG. The rest of the returning and new cast members do their jobs.Fans of The Mummy will enjoy this one. For those that haven't seen the first one, don't worry. This is watchable without having seen the first.
Al S

October 24, 2007
Spectacular and unforgettable. The entire gang is back and better than ever continuing to shine with their irrisitable chemistry. Brendan Frasier, Rachel Weiz, John Hannah and Oded Fehr are teriffic once again. A full-throttle good time that you cannot get enough of. Absolutely hilarious and action-packed. Just as fantastic as the first film. Loaded with more amasing action, teriffic humor and great speacial effects. A rollar-coaster that you cant help but get on. An awsome and incrediably fun ride. A frequently thrilling and jaw-dropping adventure that dazzels on the screen with breathtaking excitment. It's a real adventure classic. A sequel that stands to be as good as the first film.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

May 3, 2008
Yet another solid Mummy film. It was rather fun watching this one but it lacks some key elements. They had to use the same villain again who died in the first film, it was bad. He died already, no need to recycle villains. The concept was rather enjoyable and they managed to put a mean looking villain in the embodiment of Mathayus, half man half scorpion.

The whole reincarnate angle was unnecessary. The film would have worked a lot better if they left that bit in the cutting room. It is obviously just an excuse so the two smokin' ladies can battle it out with their sais in the end of the film.

On a positive note, I can probably say it is a lot better than the first one. The first Mummy is one action scene short than the sequel. This one was bigger than the first in many ways. Here's hoping for a yet more bigger Mummy 3 (Though I don't really dig the fact that there's no more deserts in the third film, its the Mummy. Mummies reside in the vast deserts, not China)

3/5
Brian D

February 27, 2008
Poor sequel.Mindless and boring. Hope for the three one please.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Rick: Knowing my brother-in-law, he probably deserves whatever you're about to do to him. But this is my house. I have certain rules about snakes and dismemberment.

A sequel to the very entertaining re-imagining of The Mummy. This film still has the same attitude of the first, but it is taken a little more seriously and some rehash of the first hurts it a little. Still, this film is a very fun adventure movie, that moves at a very fast pace.

The entire cast returns, which includes the charmingly heroic Brendan Fraser, the very hot Rachel Weiz, and the badasses that are Oded Feher and Arnold Vosloo.

The Rock sort of joins this time around as well. Having the rock serve as a focus point, despite the fact that he is only really on screen for real for about 5 minutes, not including CGI, is funny to me.

The plot involves a race against time involving the good guys racing against the bad guys to find this Scorpion King. The bad guys consist of the Mummy who has...returned.

For this movie, director Stephen Sommers has gone for the bigger is better approach, filling almost every scene with special effects and action. One can see it as an effects orgy, or one can just have a good time watching it. I wanted to have a good time, so I enjoy myself when watching it.

It does help that once again, this movie does have a great sense of humor and fully recognizes that this is a fun summer action movie, and a well made one at that.

Izzy: O'Connell, who the hell you been messing with this time, huh?
Rick: Oh, you know, the usual. Mummies, pygmies, big bugs.