The Muppet Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Muppet Movie Reviews

August 16, 2011
How can you not fall in love with the Muppets after watching this movie?! It's a great, fun little "origin story" for them with wacky characters and great music. If you are looking for something more, try Hare Krishna.
June 11, 2007
Road movie with the Muppets, whats not to like?
August 17, 2015
A hilarious family comedy for all ages! Highly recommended for anybody, especially fans of Jim Henson and The Muppets!
May 17, 2015
Incredibly appealing. A great composition of music and comedy.
June 15, 2007
Cute enough to be entertaining to kids, but not enough consistent adult humor to make it worthwhile. The plot is fine, but too many scenarios occur that don't progress the plot.
½ May 16, 2015
"Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep Believing. Keep Pretending"
- Jim Henson

Do not judge this film by the title. This is not strictly a children's movie. This is a film that has a message for all of those who have a dream to achieve.

The film is a movie within a movie, with all of the muppets attending a screening of a movie that tells how they all met and became a family. The actual movie begins with Kermit in a swamp singing what would become one of the iconic songs ever created, "The Rainbow Connection". When the song ends, an agent named Bernie comes in a boat explaining to Kermit that he is able to reach his dream, which is "singing, dancing, and making millions of people happy" by traveling to Hollywood, Los Angeles. Along the way, he meets an entrepreneur named Doc Hopper, and his assistant Max, who wants to convince Kermit to become the new spokesman of his French-fried frog legs restaurant. Kermit refuses, and as the film goes on, Hopper increasingly becomes more aggressive to make Kermit become part of the struggling restaurant.

As Kermit makes his journey to Los Angeles, he meets Fozzie Bear, a jolly bear who struggles as a stand-up comedian in a sleazy bar. Feeling sorry for him, Kermit invites Fozzie to come with him along the ride and they soon experience misadventures where they meet the rest of the muppet characters, including Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, their manager Scooter and their pet Animal, The Great Gonzo and his girlfriend Camilla the Chicken, Sweetums, Rowlf the Dog, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant Beaker, and Miss Piggy, who would become Kermit's love interest, and chaos soon ensues while also doing everything they possibly can to avoid Doc Hopper.

These characters become so believable and lovable that you actually begin to feel for them as the film goes on. And by the time comes when the muppets finally arrive at Hollywood and are hired by studio executive Lew Lord, you will end up cheering for Kermit when he realizes that he had finally achieved his dream and developed a new family at the same time.

What makes this film so significant is the inspiring story, music, and the development of these "puppet" characters. At first the all consider each other as just "weird", but as they move along in their journey, they all put their differences aside and learn about each other, developing as a colorful family, and Kermit finding the "Rainbow Connection".

Out of all the muppet films, I can honestly say that this is the film that truly has the perfect balance of comedy along with heart and charm. Furthermore, the way the characters are portrayed in this film is very strong and actually allows them to connect with the audience, and with Paul Williams' beautiful score, the emotional core goes above and beyond, especially during the grand finale.

In short, 'The Muppet Movie' is a great film that represents the Muppets at their greatest with great humor and a lot of heart.
½ May 13, 2015
83% on my Tomatometer.
April 15, 2015
Always puts me in a great mood to watch this. I'm a Muppet mark!
Mark H.
April 26, 2012
Many Muppet movies have come and gone since the 1979 original, but none come close to capturing the magic of the Muppets like The Muppet Movie. Good script, good songs, fun scenes and cameos, and genuinely tender moments performed with such skill and care that we often forget we are watching hand puppets and not real, living creatures. And who can forget Kermit singing The Rainbow Connection on his log (in a first-ever full-body shot made possible by submerging an obviously committed Jim Henson in a waterproof box under water)? That song should have taken the Oscar for best song. All the magic and joy Jim Henson infused into his life's work, the Muppets, is all on screen in this fantastic road movie.
½ January 7, 2015
All smiles. After a few seasons on the air, the Muppets transitioned to their first feature length film, and in their trademark meta way, they travel to Hollywood to strike it rich. Only trouble is that there is entrepreneur in the frog leg restaurant business, and he wants the Muppet ringleader, Kermit, all for himself. It appears that I am experiencing the Muppets a bit ass backwards; the very first movie I watched of theirs was 2014's Muppets Most Wanted, so at this rate, I'll probably watch the television series from the 70's and 80's in about three years. They really do have tons working for them on multiple levels, and they have lots of appeal for both adults and kids. For one thing, the music is well-done and wholly memorable. In the first thirty minutes alone, you get the full range of what this crew is capable of; this movie opens with the heartwarming "Rainbow Connection", and shortly thereafter, it is followed by the laugh-out-loud hysterical "Movin' Right Along". These are the kind of numbers that make you want to listen to the soundtrack long after you've walked away from the movie. Every single one of these puppets has charm for days. Apart from Kermit, all of the Muppets are given plenty to do, and they get wild like the party animals that they are, realizing the proper amount of crazy to play off of the straight "man" that Kermit plays. They fully realize how ridiculous this is, and they never hesitate to escalate it to the next level, like during the driving sequence where a car ends up balancing perfectly upside down on top of the car that the Muppets are behind the wheel of. I really only have the most recent movie to compare this to, and while they did go completely hog-wild with cameos in the most recent movie, they've been doing this since movie number one. One of the standout scenes in this features Steve Martin serving Kermit and Miss Piggy on a date, and you know everything you need to know by seeing that he is credited on IMDb as "Insolent Waiter". As per their routine, there is lots and lots of 4th wall breaking, which leads to puns galore, some of which will make you laugh, and some of which will make you eye roll. The thing about these Muppets is that they are putting on a legitimate show, and from a showmanship standpoint, this is actually quite impressive. Because of that, the Muppet Movie is very much worth being familiar with.
December 22, 2014
Always puts me in a great mood to watch this. I'm a Muppet mark!
December 5, 2014
Classic Muppets! I love this road-trip story of how they all got together. Memorable songs and magical scenes, especially the 200+ puppets in the finale.
½ October 11, 2014
This was my first introduction to the Muppets when I was little. I watched this again a few years ago, and remarkably, it still hold up very well. 9/10.
½ December 3, 2007
So many great celebrity cameos. And establishes the familiar characters in Kermit's motley crew as they head to Hollywood for stardom. Lots of laughs, catchy tunes, and interactions between humans and Muppets.
October 4, 2014
First and best of the Muppet movies. A timeless classic with a who's who supporting cast. Essential.
½ September 23, 2014
This movie is fun and very self aware. The songs are up beat, and the jokes are very hilarious. I'd say every Muppet fan should watch this movie, but let's face it, they all have!
December 19, 2011
How did I *JUST* see this?! Absolutely incredible. Even at 25 this film awakened the (admittedly not-so-dormant) child spirit inside of me and moved me with its beautiful purpose, well done puns, and self-aware screenplay. I'm going to go back there someday...
September 14, 2014
Although Jim Henson's ever-popular Muppets were television middays, it wasn't until 1979's THE MUPPET MOVIE that they became Hollywood stars as well. Actually, that's the whole plot of the film... or rather, a fictionalized account of how the Muppets met en route to California. Either way, this movie is genuinely great fun and is still entertaining today. At the time of its release, THE MUPPET MOVIE also introduced special techniques which were groundbreaking back then, for instance the scene where Kermit pedals a bicycle from his home in the swamp toward the city and almost gets crushed by a steamroller. It is moments like this that one wonders how Henson and his team were able to pull it off without the seams showing. If that was all this movie was about, I wouldn't be recommending it as highly as I do. There is a parade of guest cameos (par for the course with THE MUPPET SHOW); for instance, the late DomDeLuise plays an agent who "leapfrogs" (Get it?) Kermit's quest for stardom. Later we see Elliot Gould as an emcee, Steve Martin as a waiter, Mel Brooks as a nasty scientist (in a scene which, although funny, can induce nightmares), Cloris Leachman as an allergic secretary, and the great Orson Welles as the man who holds Kermit's future in his hands. But it's the Muppets themselves that really make the film; each character exudes personality, charm, and the occasional breaking-the-fourth-wall humor. They are so scene-stealing that one cannot help but look upon them as genuine characters and not just talking puppets. Top this all off with a delightful score by Paul Williams (with the opening number, "Rainbow Connection", standing out as a classic signature song), and you have a terrific package of a movie.
September 2, 2014
best fucking muppets movie ever a classic the one that started it all
November 4, 2012
The original Muppet movie that transitions Henson's comedic characters to feature length films is filled what each of the characters were filled: heart, comedy, good music, and occasional silliness. This is the second best film of the film franchise. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)