Muppet Treasure Island Reviews

½ September 12, 2015
I suppose this is as solid as most other Muppet movies, it was actually the slightly annoying human cast that let it down.
½ June 10, 2015
The ever funny Jim Henson characters in an amusing screenplay of Robert L.Stevenson classic tale.Piece of eight
July 26, 2012
The pirate tale has some clever lines as this is an ordinary Muppets family film with same levels, especially the humorous comic. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
September 27, 2014
Following the successful MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, Brian Henson directed another literary adaptation with the Muppets, this time Robert Louis Stevenson's TREASURE ISLAND. The marriage between the two isn't quite as smooth as in the former film, though, mainly because Dickens' tale, in a way, had a "spiritual" connection to the Muppets' humor. In that case, the blend was well suited. Here the results seem at odds, because Stevenson's tale is rather gritty and doesn't really call for humor. As such, MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND can feel somewhat schizophrenic at times, featuring surprisingly dark bits (a character dies at the beginning) at one moment, and sidesplitting humor the next (the "Cabin Fever" sequence, arguably the funniest scene in the picture.) That said, this film still offers a lot of entertainment value: the songs, as usual, are excellent and well-suited to the fabric of the story, and Tim Curry is delightfully devious as the villainous Long John Silver. He tears into the role with zest and villainy, and the chemistry between him and young Kevin Bishop as Jim Hawkins is great. The Muppets seem more like side-characters here, however, since the narrative arc focuses mostly on the Jim-Silver conflict. (One could say the same about MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, too, but again, that's only because the match was ideal.) Still, it's fun to watch Kermit as a ship's captain having a sword fight with Curry at the film's climax, and as usual, Gonzo and Rizzo are a riot. Despite the sometimes jarring mixture of the material with the silly humor and uneven tone shifts, MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND is nonetheless great fun.
½ August 30, 2014
Ridiculous? Yes. Fun? Also yes.
August 29, 2014
Great movie, great songs (even if one or two are filler), great acting, great comedy, and yes, there are a few boring bits, but watch it a second time and you'll probably gloss over them because you'll know how much good stuff is right around the corner.
A must-see for any Muppet fan and a must-see for anyone who calls themselves a Tim Curry fan. Meaning everyone.
August 27, 2014
The best Muppet movie ever
August 22, 2014
I smell a bozo.

Kermit and his friends are treasure hunting freedom fighters that thwart off countless attacks from pirates. Can Kermit and his friends find the treasure and keep it from the pirates or will a new super pirate emerge that Kermit and his friends can't stop?

"I hate my life."
"I hate your life. If I had a life, I'd hate my life too if I had one."

Brian Henson, director The Muppet Christmas Carol, Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story, and episodes of Sid the Science Kid and Nightmares & Dreamscapes, delivers Muppet Treasure Island. The storyline for this picture was just okay and not overly interesting. The acting was as you'd expect for the genre and the cast included Tim Curry, Billy Connolly, and Frank Oz.

"Aren't you supposed to be fighting against us?"
"Are you kidding? I love you guys!"

I watched this with my daughter about a week ago off Netflix. We didn't enjoy this as much as Muppets: The Movie, but it was still fun to watch unfold. Overall, this is worth a viewing but nothing special.

"The one legged man brings death."

Grade: C+/B-
½ February 14, 2010
(First viewing - Childhood)
August 5, 2014
A pretty fun spoof of pirate movies. You know it would have had Jack Sparrow jokes if it was made ten years later. While in typical Muppet fashion its often pretty funny but is one of the weaker Muppet flicks because it feels like it has too much Treasure Island and not enough Muppets
May 22, 2013
Solid classic from my childhood, I don't care whatever problems there are. 4/5 Great
July 17, 2014
That Cabin Fever song will be stuck in my head for the next two weeks.
July 11, 2014
For a Muppet movie, it's not very Muppet, although it still has the same energy and gags as any other movie.
½ June 17, 2014
It makes good use of Tim Curry as well as a funny script. The movie never achieves greatness, but it's the muppets. What you see is what you get. I don't think Robert Louis Stevenson would be too appalled by this charming film.
½ June 17, 2014
if you like the muppets, you'll probably like this movie
½ July 6, 2007
The Muppets are at it again with this take on the classic Treasure Island. Tim Curry does a decent job in his role as Long John Silver, but the rest of the movie lacks pizazz and punch.
April 20, 2014
As we have seen recently with Muppets Most Wanted, the franchise is not immune to the odd bout of sequelitis. However no Muppet's film I have ever seen is completely bereft of ideas. There are enough interesting cameos and enough laughs to satisfy.
April 20, 2008
While this may be the weakest of the Muppet movies it still has its moments.
½ October 7, 2013
If you just ignore the story and go along with the epic music, explosions and effects, chemistry between the main characters, and its fun songs, with the exception of bad 3 songs, this movie is alot of fun to watch. Warning: This movie shows Miss. Piggy at her absolute worst.
½ September 8, 2009
The zaniness is back. There are a few too many humans in lead roles for my taste, but the antics between Gonzo and Rizzo more than make up for that. Tim Curry shines.