Muppets Most Wanted Reviews

August 18, 2014
Even more self-aware than the first and far less funny, "The Muppets Most Wanted" may have a likeable cast, but nobody can pull it off as well as Jason Segal and Amy Adams did in the first film. Having cameos is one thing, but having cameos to drive this story was kind of overwhelming and I just expected to see more which didn't make it very special. After Kermit is framed by a criminal mastermind who looks just like him, he joins the muppets and begins to ruin their show. This film has a little less cheese throughout it, but that is also what made the first one so special, so everything this sequel tries to do kind of works against it. "The Muppets Most Wanted" is liable for what it is, but in the end, it is just a cleverly written comedy that does not have much flare. Would I recommend it to fans of the first? Yes, but do not expect too much.
½ July 16, 2014
So at the start of this movie there is a little musical number with some lyrics rhythmically explaining that sequels are never quite as good, a cute self referential/self mocking gag. Well umm...gee, what can I say! Yes this whole movie is almost one big self referential joke crammed full of obligatory pop culture references that just make you groan and slump your head into your hands.

The plot unfolds around a master criminal who happens to look identical to Kermit and is the number one criminal in the world. This amphibian wants to steal the British Crown Jewels with the help of Ricky Gervais who is the second best criminal in the world. So its a crime heist not too far off from 'The Great Muppet Caper'. So the fuzzy gang are trying to rejuvenate their show but are actually being used by the criminal duo who are unravelling a mystery that leads them to the Crown Jewels. Its all very 'Mr Bean-esque'.

First up I didn't like the film title, second up why can't we have Muppet movies based around classic tales/legends/fables again? why am I not seeing a Muppet Robin Hood? Anyway the story putters along in a gentle manner dotted with the odd musical number which on the whole weren't too bad, I quite liked the Gervais and evil Kermit duet. It did seem like there would be a song every other five minutes at one point but thankfully not. I did actually like the character of 'Constantine' (evil Kermit), at first I thought he was merely a cheap Kermit clone (kinda is) but he is voiced really well by Matt Vogel and is quite humerous at times. A Russian accent coming out of Kermit along with some nice evil facial expressions which are simply Kermit's face scrunched up into a snarl...was unexpectedly funny. Gervais wasn't the outright satirical funnyman we all know this time around but he gels well with his mean green accomplice.

The other amusing factor was the the second duo of Sam Eagle and Ty Burrell who plays a French Interpol Inspector. Despite the fact Burrell is clearly doing a hammy 'Inspector Clouseau' impersonation I can't deny that he does it well helped along by the stuffy Sam Eagle. Both bumble around in a predictable way looking for clues, Sam being the more keen by the books man/eagle, where as Burrell is the more laid back lazy not quite so intelligent European.

The movie bounces around from one pretty destination to the next giving us fancy looking set pieces and not much else really. Most of the Muppets don't figure too much this time, nothing from Gonzo, Rizzo, Fozzie etc...or new boy Walter! and naturally there are many pointless needless cameos. I know these Muppet films have always had cameos but they used to be from real legends of the silver screen, these days its the dregs of pop culture like Lady Gaga and Sean Combs *groan*. Still can't work out what the Celine Dion singing cameo was about, she just appears for absolutely no reason what so ever and vanishes again! hope it was worth the money sheesh!

I knew I wasn't gonna like this film much, I am a huge Muppet fan and grew up with the gang but ever since the final Muppet fantasy (Muppet Wizard of Oz) things have just gone down hill for me. Its all become very bland dull and chock full of annoying pop culture references and placements, the lovely fairytale fantasy element has all but gone. While the film wasn't terrible I wasn't overly impressed either. It just ticked along through unoriginal mundane formulaic fodder, no traditional Muppet hysteria present anywhere...until we reached the inevitably plain and predictable ending. What really summed it all up for me was the fact they tried to dodge the glaring problem of little imagination and creativity by going for this all out slightly satirical self referential gag angle like some sort of cover up, hoping no one will notice its all old hat.

I guess it just manages to squeeze over the pass mark because its the Muppets and you can't help but love em. That is still no excuse for a lazy movie relying on familiar faces to bring in the dough, unfortunately they do seem to be doing this, shoving our fave Muppets on the big screen for some easy earnings. I'm happy for more Muppets but lets get back to the fantasy/sci-fi side of things please, it works so well with Jim Henson's creations. I'm waiting for the Muppet version of Dracula please...anyone.
½ February 28, 2013
While 2011's "The Muppets" was an excellent family film, its sequel turns out to be a solid kids movie, lacking the sharp script and creativity of its predecessor. There's still fun to be had here though, with decent musical numbers and charming characters.
April 30, 2014
for me, a tad better than the last muppets film. i think the biggest problem with the last film remains in this one, which is a misuse of characters. walter has cemented his place in the series, but at the expense of long standing characters who deserved more of a spotlight. overall the jokes were good, and the story was a lot of fun.
Nate Z.
½ March 27, 2014
The Muppets are back, though their new film seems to vaguely be recreating the amusing if somewhat slight Great Muppet Caper. The same blend of Muppet-staple sweet goofiness and anarchy is still a pleasure to watch, causing me to laugh throughout; it's just that there are more leaden stretches between the laughs. The side stories have more interest and humor than the main storyline where Kermit has been replaced by a nefarious Russian doppelganger. Ricky Gervais is wasted as a criminal sidekick and he doesn't bring much energy to the film. Fortunately Tina Fey, as a gulag prison guard, and Ty Burrell, as a Pink Panther-like Interpol agent, rise to the occasion. Burrel, teamed up with Sam the Eagle, made the movie for me. Their comic interplay and rivalry is the best and gives way to the best use of sight gags. It's an amusing and agreeable film but there's a noticeable spirit missing, possibly from the departure of living Muppet Jason Segel as an actor and a co-writer. I was shocked that Bret McKenzie, who won an Oscar for the 2011 movie, was the same man behind these new tunes. With the exception of maybe two songs, the remaining majority of the songs are downright dreadful. Within minutes of leaving my theater I could not for the life of me remember one of the tunes. The celebrity cameos are also less fun, many poorly integrated into the film, just the actors appearing and then vanishing. James McAvoy just walks onscreen to deliver a package. Is that the best use of everyone's time? Still, while a noticeable step down from 2011's The Muppets, the movie still has enough of the Muppet charm and silliness to entertain. It's just missing some of the magic that made their return so special.

Nate's Grade: B
½ March 5, 2014
The cameo's make up for the rather dyer plot! Ricky Jervais is amusing but not even his comedic talents make up for this failure of a movie!
Bathsheba Monk
March 25, 2014
Any movies that stars Miss PIggy and Kermit can do no wrong. Add Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais and it's a winner. Plus great tips for robbing a bank if that particular skill is ever needed.
½ March 24, 2014
If the "Muppets" reboot a few years ago was to show the heart of the characters, this brings it back to the wackiness that everyone knows and loves. The Muppets are persuaded by their tour manager("Badguy"played by Ricky Gervais) to embark on a world tour. Only he is using the Muppets as a cover for the heists he pulls with Constantine, the World's Number One Criminal and a near clone of Kermit. Kermit is framed, and Constantine takes his place as leader of the Muppets. Basically it's an awesome movie. Tons of celebrity cameos, one of the best is Usher playing an usher. The story isn't nearly as heartfelt or sentimental as the previous movie, but that's good because it doesn't need to be. This is just the Muppets being hilarious and crazy. All the kids in our group(my boy, two nieces, and two nephews) all loved it and laughed a lot. Great family movie, and a great addition to this fantastic franchise.
½ March 26, 2014
"Together again...again." The Muppets continue their wacky adventures in their first direct sequel, Muppets Most Wanted. After their successful comeback Kermit and his friends take The Muppet Show on a world tour, but when Kermit is replaced by an impostor the show is put in jeopardy. The comedy is as smart as ever, but it falls into some of the cliches that it's spoofing. And while the film is jam packed with celebrity cameos from the likes of Lady Gaga, Celine Dion, Danny Trejo, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Sean Combs, the execution is fairly mediocre. But quibbles aside, the Muppets can still put on a show, and Muppets Most Wanted delivers non-stop laughs.
April 13, 2014
This film could have been so much better than what it is. It needed a major rewrite. The last Muppets film, was an homage to the Muppets legacy. This one felt like they tried to copy 2 previous Muppet Movies, "The Great Muppet Caper" and "Muppets Take Manhattan." Doing a caper film is in tradition of Great Muppet Caper. Having Kermit and Piggy headed to the alter to get married is like Muppets Take Manhattan. They should have tried to do something new, rather than recycle existing material. They needed a better story.

The songs aren't really good here. The film opens really good and after that it goes downhill. The opening number "We're Doing A Sequel" was the best song in the film. I did like that it ended on "Together Again" which goes back to Muppets Take Manhattan. I did like that they did something creative at the end credits of the film.

The focus of the film should have been on Sam the Eagle and Ty Burrell's character. They had a great on screen chemistry but given very little screen time. Burrell reminded me of Inspector Cleuseu. I could see him playing the role in the next Pink Panther film. Ricky Gervais surprisingly disappointed here. Tina Fey was ok, but felt like her character needed more. There is a lot of celeb cameos in the film. I felt the majority of cameo were not necessary. Only a few worked well. Less is more.

I also wish Jason Seagall would have returned. The last film had heart. So did a majority of the Muppet films. This one lacked heart and was just one comedy bit after another and one song after another. Also I felt that Walter was out of place here with the Muppets. He worked well in the last Muppet film cause he worked off of Seagall.

Despite some flaws, the film is entertaining. The last movie was my favorite in the franchise. I hope for the next Muppet film, they do something new, rather than copying what they have already done.
½ March 27, 2014
Pulling the perfect strings to give moviegoers a hugely enjoyable sequel, the Muppets present a Most Wanted - and most worthy - follow-up to their big 2011 return. Granted, it's a sequel's job to up the ante so the best that can be said about this next chapter is that it nearly stands on equal ground with The Muppets--a high compliment indeed. It begins immediately after the last go-round, offering up whip-smart comedy, amazingly catchy tunes, and head-turning cameos at a more rapid fire clip than the Fozzy, er, forebear. What's remarkable is how everything - from tone to wit to performance - gets accomplished with the exact same tone, style, and handmade precision that Jim Henson laid down in the '70s. Ultimately, Muppets Most Wanted is a modern romp that oftentimes proves hilarious and toe-tapping because it's imbued with so much reverential nostalgia for Vaudeville and variety shows from the Golden Age of Televison.

In this PG-rated comedy adventure, the Muppets find themselves wrapped into a European jewel-heist caper headed by a Kermit the Frog look-alike and his dastardly sidekick (Gervais).

So many of the best lines elicit more roars from adults than kids even though the latter can't take their eyes off of these very unlikely felt stars. And speaking of stars, Ricky Gervais (just as unlikely a PG star given his acidic barbs lobbed while hosting the Golden Globe awards) kills it as their most frequent human counterpart, singing and dancing and equally plotting to the audience's delight. Tina Fey and Ty Burrell likewise provide great backup to some legendary puppets who brought their A-Game for the second time in a row for this, their second Great Muppet Caper.

Bottom line: The Great Muppet Capper
Bradley T. Johnson
½ March 23, 2014
As I sat in the theater to view the new Muppets movie I realized that I couldn't wipe away a big stupid smile from my face for the entire run time of the film. When finished I wondered why the reviews for the film were so all over the place. I can say wholeheartedly that Muppets Most Wanted is one of the best Muppets films. This is coming from the Muppets number one fan (or at least I believe I am). First off, the Muppets are the leads of their own film. While I absolutely adore the original The Muppets, this one has them front and center. The songs, however, are the real highlight of the film with toe tapping beats, to huge power ballads there isn't a weak song in the bunch. Some of my favorites were "Were Doing A Sequel", "The Big House", and the "Interrogation Song" but all of the song sequences are great. The human leads are fantastic as well especially Ty Burell and Tina Fey. Ricky Gervais was decent but appeared a bit out of place during his song and dance number. One small complaint I have is a reliance on CGI in a few scenes involving Constantine, however it wasn't too often. Overall, I loved Muppets Most Wanted and am hoping it gains in stature over time. My rating: 88
Christopher O.
½ August 22, 2014
Definitely not as Whimsical or delightful as the reboot from a couple of years ago. But it has some clever moments, great spoofs and cameos and was entertaining to a point. The plot got dragged out way too long and it was missing Segel and Adams who brought great charm to the first reboot. But, the Muppets are still nice to have back on the big screen. 08-22-2014
September 14, 2014
Enjoyable, but the lack of any real screen time for Gonzo and Fozzie is quite disappointing.
March 22, 2014
Losing most of the magic instilled by the 2011 reboot of "The Muppets" and even with three years between productions, "Muppets Most Wanted" still feels like a lesser quality product with less humor and less soul. Do not get me wrong, I am entirely happy just to see the Muppets back in action on the big screen and will obviously take what I can get from every single one of the iconic characters. But where "The Muppets" had the competent 'let's get the band back together' story-line and a human cast boasting Jason Segal, Amy Adams, and Chris Cooper, "Muppets Most Wanted" takes a left turn as they take their show on the road to Europe, containing a human cast that I view as second tier actors with Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell, and Tina Fey. The Muppets do return to their caper roots, with Kermit being mistaken for the British criminal mastermind, Constantine, who looks exactly like Kermit except for a mole on his upper lip. With Kermit in a Russian prison and the gang unaware of the switch, Constantine and his follower Dominic Badguy (Gervais) steal precious jewels all along the Muppets' European Tour. With a lack of the musical number brilliance from "The Muppets" and a screenplay that barely goes through the motions, where Segal's passion project involved fans of all ages, "Muppets Most Wanted" feels oriented towards small children and no one else. Regardlessly, a second rate Muppets movie is better than no Muppets movie at all.
½ August 14, 2014
After the resurgent comeback of the Muppets that we were taken by surprise with in 2011 with "The Muppets", one of the best family films of that year, we get "Muppets Most Wanted", a bland and indescribably sad effort by the Henson team to continue their modern success with the old throwback characters. This is probably the first thing from the Muppets that has not only not given me any joy or an upbeat feel, but almost put me to sleep in an hour and a half run time. For the first third or so, it's a movie that basically struggles to find it's identity. It so cleverly wants to point out that it's the follow up to the 2011 film with the opening song number (which failed to strike a chord), so maybe it wanted to do what Henson's puppets did best and make clever in-jokes making fun of itself. However, the repetitive lines about mocking sequels wear out fast and after that they had to find a new direction. Maybe just a straight up comedy then. I will give the film credit for a few chuckles, but the big laughs you see in the trailer. The "Lights out" gag, "Bad-gee. It's French." etc., which contains less hilarity than it leads on. So when comedy falls flat, you go for a straight up narrative. I never expect this category of filmmaking to be that original and inventive in storytelling, but at least make it interesting. We've heard this story before, oh what, about a billion times. A tour group of some kind is approached by a greedy agent in disguise that wants to destroy them and take the money. The head honcho of the group (Kermit here) has initial doubts but eventually caves in to the immediate whim of the group. Then through chaos and just everything going wrong, they see that they should have trusted the boss and that what they wanted wasn't what they needed. Basically the plot of the first Alvin and the Chipmunks live action film (which was a notable clunker). But it doesn't stop there. There's also a subplot with a Kermit look alike on FBI's most wanted that's a prison escapee and frames Kermit simply by placing his removable beauty mark on his upper lip. Which could be clever, but again, is a plot used in several films and it just isn't fun to watch here.
I can already hear the "Get a grip. It's a kid's film." criticisms in the back of my head, but the argument holds no water when Disney, heck even most NON Disney distributors of kids films, have better quality than this mismatched tapestry that feels barely sewn together. It didn't feel like a Muppets movie, it felt like the production meeting of a Muppets movie. I already know it has it's fans, as anything with these characters will, but count me out sadly. It's just too dull, the characters, even the Muppets themselves, are forgettable in this as well as the songs and like I said the story they chose for this follow up.
September 13, 2014
The funniest line -- "it's a sequel, and sequels are never as good." This just isn't as charming or as feel-good as it should be. I didn't like Constantine, Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey, or the prison. However, my 9yo said he liked it, so maybe kids will enjoy it.
½ April 11, 2014
To get the most important thing out of the way, I am a big Muppets fan. Albeit not of everything they done, but whenever the gang is up to its old tricks, I am excited to see them being shot out of cannons and singing silly tunes. Muppets Most wanted was a weak sequel to the first Muppets movie, even though the "new" character - Constantin - is as hilarious as it gets and the highlight of the film (IMHO). Which is both a good and a bad thing, considering that this is a Muppets core cast film, yet most of the talent is just wasted and the bulk of the story is carried by Walter, Constantin, Gervais and two dozen bland cameos. Yet, as a character on its own, Walter is not interesting or quirky enough to carry a whole film and while he serves as a relatable axis of the narrative to the viewer, he never brings anything to the film but stability and that is the last thing I expect from a Muppets movie. Gervais is funny, does his standard routine, but he is cast in the antagonist role - yet, ye may wonder - who is the protagonist ? There is none, bad scriptwriter, bad - sit ! Kermit is sidelined into a terribly grizzly Gulag, not something that warms my heart and polishes my worn out spirits like The Christmas Carol or Muppets in Space. Speaking of Cameos, how many can you cramp into a film ? I have never been a big fan of cameos, it is a risky endeavour for filmmakers, because you might up with people talking about nothing but (!) the cameos, indirectly judging the rest of the film as not worthy of its own discussion by merit.

The songs were great, on par with most of the Muppet movies and better than the first one.

Setting the film in Europe is - of course - doomed from the very getgo or have you ever seen a sequel / episode of a film / series that uses Europe as the gimmick that was any good ? Nope, because there is none.

I still enjoyed it, being a muppets fan but I really though the relaunch of the Muppets with the first (sixth that is) film in the series would take this franchise of the ground again and I am not sure this was not once again the last we will hear and see from the gang in quiet some time.