19% Transcendence Apr 18

My Fair Lady Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

October 8, 2013
Henry Higgins bets that he can turn cockney Eliza Doolittle into a lady.
The play on which this musical is based and the film are profoundly interesting. The conception of rhetoric and its relationship to identity are thoroughly explored. By changing Eliza's language does Higgins change who she is? Is that form of education robbing her of her independence and identity? Is that even what we mean by "education?" Should language be changed to fit societal norms? The film and play poses these questions and answers very few.
Audrey Hepburn is delightful as always, and Rex Harrison is the perfect conceited intellectual. The love plot is charming and made me smile more than once. The only problem I had with the film's performances is Harrison's singing. He more spoke his words in rhythm than sang them, but after a while, this delivery grew on me.
*Spoiler Alert*
I wish the story ended differently. There wasn't enough humility on the part of the love-vanquished Professor Higgins, and the final shot of Eliza getting his slippers made me think that neither of these characters learned enough.
Overall, this film is very good, a fine representation of its source material.
Carlos M

March 4, 2013
Pygmalion is a great film but not as charming as this My Fair Lady, a very adorable musical version of the same play full of delightful songs and with a splendid cast - but even so, Doolittle's change doesn't appear as gradual here, and the film ends on a rather vexing, sexist conclusion.
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 7, 2012
This is George Cukor's lavish, large budget musical adaptation of George Bernard Shaw's comedy Pygmalion, and the result is something actually quite spectacular. I've always looked at this stroy as being maybe a bit girly, but it's really not the case. It's a very entertaining, and actually quite hilarious (at times) look at class differences and finding one's place in life.

Rex Harrison is Professor Henry Higgins, a wealthy, cultured, and highly educated lphoneticist who makes a bet with his colleague Colonel Pickering (Wilfrid Hyde-White) that he can take an uncouth cockney flower girl (Audrey Hepburn) and transform her into a duchess by the time the Embassy Ball comes around. It's a tale as old as time, but a quite endearing one nonetheless, especially since several more versions have been filmed since this one, namely Pretty Woman and She's All That.

This particular telling of the story though is one that's quite special. It's rightly regarded as a classic, and one of the best musicals ever. I won't disagree. The music is great, as is the singing ,even though Harrison mostly talk-sings, and Hepburn got dubbed over by someone else. Now that's I've finally seen this version, I'm able to see yet another musical that has been quite influential on Seth MacFarlane, mostly with his show Family Guy. Not only did they make an episode that's a nonmusical remake of this film's presence, but Rex Harrison (his appearance, voice, and mannerisms) is one of the primary influences on the character of Stewie.

The story evolves as you think it might, with there being lots of ups and downs, trials and tribulations, and some successes as well as missteps. For the longest time though, the film prrogresses in a rather realistic way by starting to end rather bittersweetly instead of a sappy romantic happy ending. However, shades of this latter ending do start to rear their head, but not enough so to make me totally angry or derail things. Also, while a lot of the music is good, it's not all great, so these reasons are mainly why I'm giving such an otherwise extremely great and well made film a half star less than perfect.

Could the film be better? Sure. But not by much, As it stands, this is a very fun movie that's far more enjoyable and engaging than the premise might make it seem. The performances are iconic, the sets and costumes stunning, and the tunes are pretty memorable. Give this one a go. It definitely lives up to its reputation.
Zach B

February 18, 2012
My Fair Lady is one of those musicals that try to not compare to the source material, but base on it's own terms. If I was to base on it's source material, I would be here for days talking about the ending of this film and why I feel that it was unnecessary. But seeing as how this is based on the film, let's move on.
I never saw this classic film until I got news that I was going to be in my high school's production of the musical of the same name (similar with Fiddler On The Roof). When I first watch this film, I had no expectations and walked in clean minded. What I got was two hours and fifty minutes of a movie that I had seen so many parodies of that I was able to know exactly what was happening and when. Did this take away from the film's charm? No, but for a new generation of viewers, this basically means that they won't have the privilege of being shocked at the events of the film.
The main thing that shocked me about this film is how beautiful and clean this looks. This film was made during a time when color was still relatively new and here it embraces the idea of making this colored in such a gorgeous way that you can't help but admire all that you see. Everything from the dirt poor streets to the magnificent set used for the Ascot Race is... stunning. Yeah, that is the best way to describe this film in terms of looks: magnificent. In a day where almost all films have computer graphics, this film reminds us why we love classic films all over again.
I am still puzzled as to why Julie Andrews did not reprise her role in the film adaption, but in a way, I am kind of glad that Audrey Hepburn played the main female lead. Not only because it meant that Julie Andrews could now play in Mary Poppins, but also because Hepburn would later go on to make the film's main female cockney memorable with her use of the cockney voice. My only complaint is that she never does any of her own singing in this film. Sorry, but that is a distraction to me. I put up with it for as long as I can, but one can only take so much before you wish they allowed her to sing.
Rex Harrison is wonderful as he embodies this role. As I said, I was in an adaption of My Fair Lady and as such, I had to go and watch other performances to understand how this, being the play, would work. One thing I noticed is that no one can preform Professor Higgins at all. Well, not nearly as good as Harrison. He made this role forever in one image and that is all that we need. Many have imitated his Oscar winning performance, but no one has been able to equal him.
That takes me back to what I said earlier: this film is embedded in our pop culture. You don't have to see the film to know how things play out, but you do need to in order to see why this film is really remembered for what it is: a wonderful musical that not only charms people, but continues to delight people with it's off-key romance and songs that are beyond fun to sing to.
Apeneck F

July 17, 2007
One of the best musicals ever made, Cinderella as an Cockney English flower girl and her fairy godmother , a dyed-in-the-wool English linguistic specialist ... and confirmed bachelor. Sophisticated and endearing, certainly the dream can be derided, but ...it's savvy presentation makes for delectable entertainment.
Jennifer X

May 28, 2007
I can't stand Audrey Hepburn's voice, those songs, or Rex Harrison's being. Why, oh why, did it win that Oscar?
Lady D

August 2, 2006
A simplistic tale of class divide, a memorable array of songs and whilst Hepburn's interpretation of the humble Flower Girl's speech was quite over the top, Hepburn and Harrison were matched well in starring in this film together.

It's somewhat disappointing that Eliza's voice was not that of Audrey Hepburn's, but I'm sure it's because she looked the part and the person who's voice appears on the songs I hope has recognition.

A long film, but a classic Musical.
deano
deano

February 11, 2007
Pygmalion, the timeless George Bernard Shaw play, has been a success in every form in which it has been presented. This Oscar-Winning 1965 movie musical adaptation is no exception. Rex Harrison, as Professor Henry Higgins, is the perfect example of British class snob-bishness. Audrey Hepburn gives a fine performance as Eliza Doolittle.
The reason for this is simple; Hepburn brings her "own spark of divine fire", (to quote Higgins) to the role and her vulnerability, mixed with her sweet, naive charm and even her wonderfully juvenile pettishness shown in "Just You Wait" all prove what a talented actress she really is.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
My favorite musical of all time, with some of the best acting by Rex Harrison
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 17, 2007
my fair lady is a near perfect movie. the entire cast was perfectly chosen, possibly even to the point of being one of the most perfectly assembled casts in history, and each actor delivered perfectly, especially rex harrison in one of my favorite performances of all time. the music fit the story perfectly, the dialogue was masterful in all but two scenes, and the plot was enthralling from start to finish. at 3 hours the film never dulls. brilliant.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 1, 2009
one of the best musicals ever, my fair lady shows once again why audrey hepburn is one of the most well known names in movies
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

January 15, 2009
jeepers...Henery Higgens is an @$% hole! he is SOOO MEAN ! and tHat whole why can women be like men? what a sexist pig!
Mark H

June 15, 2008
One of the all-time great movie musicals is a veritable feast for the eyes and ears. Yes, the costumes, sets and music are all exquisite, but the film's inflated 3 hour length does start to plod after a while. Rex Harrison is the quintessential Professor Henry Higgins and Audrey Hepburn makes a charming Eliza Doolittle. Won eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Director.
Leigh R

August 25, 2006
I love Audrey.
Luke B

September 10, 2008
Ah the good old days, when musicals could be fun and inventive not to mention downright hilarious, despite lasting 3 hours. Hepburn may be cruising toward obscene parody as Eliza Doolittle when using her "cor blimey" cockney accent but it works as one of the most comedic characters in any musical. Stanley Holloway is another piece of inspired casting, taking on the role of her morally bankrupt (or so it may seem) father. Harrison was fully deserving of his Oscar. Speaking his songs as opposed to singing is simply in line with the wonderful self centered character he creates. All the songs have been so far integrated into popular culture that they are instantly recognisable even on a first time viewing. It manages to stay far from cheese or kitsch of many musicals and shows an interesting story, but more importantly interesting characters.
thmtsang
thmtsang

September 1, 2007
Musical about a low class flower girl who wants to talk posh to elevate her status. One of Audrey Hepburn's most well known roles. All her screeching is very annoying and the ending is not convincing.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
eh
garyX
garyX

March 11, 2007
Pygmalion given the musical treatment in a witty class spanning romance. You'd have to be made of stone to not fall for Audrey Hepburn...
Jeremy S

June 5, 2006
An adaptation of George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. Harrison is fantastic as the obliviously cruel Henry Higgins, and the beautifully sensational Eliza Doolittle (Hepburn). Although the acting is superb, the music is the film's enduring element. The best are: "I Could Have Danced All Night", "Wouldn't It Be Loverly," "The Rain In Spain," . Overall a great musical with some of the most memoriable songs in musical history.
Lanning :

February 14, 2006
Freddie, you should have stepped up to the plate, brah. A true only-in-Hollywood romance. I'm sure George Bernard Shaw is still spinning in his grave some 40 years later.