My Afternoons with Margueritte Reviews

366weirdmovies
January 18, 2012
An oaf (Gerard Depardieu) forms an unlikely friendship with a 95-year old woman who sees the intelligence buried inside of him. This sweet, literate character study will play well for it's target audience of little old ladies, but less well for its secondary audience of semi-literate lummoxes.
c0up
May 3, 2011
'My Afternoons With Margueritte'. Sweet, charming, filled with moments of oddball humour, and two lovable leading performances!

In Depardieu's last monologue, he said something like "it's not a typical love story, but the 'love' and 'tenderness' are there"; I couldn't agree more. For once, I wanted a happy ending, and I'm glad I got it.
Harlequin68
½ September 22, 2013
As a freelance handyman, Germain(Gerard Depardieu) leads an up and down life. On the down side, there is trying to get money out of clients for a completed job, writing his name on a war memorial and living in a trailer in clear sight of his domineering mother(Claire Maurier). At least, Annette(Sophie Guillemin), a much younger bus driver who he is dating, will spend the night with him there. As far as his afternoons go, there is Margueritte(Gisele Casadesus), an elderly woman who befriends him over lunch one day in the park.

"My Afternoons with Margueritte" is a touching slice of life movie that is helped by a thoroughly lived in performance from Gerard Depardieu. As the movie states eloquently, it is about love in all of its forms, including between generations.(I still think it is weird to be called 'young man' this side of 40.) A special emphasis is given to a love of literature. For the record, Germain is not stupid, nor really slow, just uneducated, which may not be surprising considering his bad experiences with the educational system when he was growing up. And you can see what might have happened if he had a good teacher to guide him in the first place.
July 11, 2012
A thoroughly delightful little film that reminded this viewer of the inspiration he received from his grandmother that has resulted in a lifelong love of reading. Germaine (Gerard Depardieu) is a lovable oaf, with a beautiful girlfriend, a crazy mother, and a group of "friends" who delight in mocking him. Margueritte ("with two T's!") is an elderly woman who introduces Germain to the wonder of the written word after a chance meeting on a park bench. The relationship that developed between these two was juxtaposed against Germain's childhood, revealed in flashbacks, that was marked by emotional abuse from his mother and the cruel torment inflicted by a teacher. We also get to see the reaction of his friends who find him less willing to endure their taunts. This one hit all the right notes and is one I will enjoy watching again.
PantaOz
July 7, 2011
This French work of art directed by Jean Becker owes everything to the two great actors: Gerard Depardieu as Germain Chazes and Gisele Casadesus as Marguerite. Such chemistry exists between the actor and the actress that it seems impossible that anyone else could be casted for those two roles!

Story revolves around Germain Chazes who lives in a caravan at the bottom of his mother's garden and is considered by most to be a happy fool. One day Marguerite, a very cultured old woman, introduces him to the world of books and words. As a result, his relationship with others and with himself completely changes.

Well written story (adapted by Jean-Loup Dabadie and Louis Becker) takes you along and immerses you that you cannot get out until the end. Wonderful piece of work!
August 5, 2014
Even if it takes the term "short and sweet" a bit too literally, My Afternoons with Margueritte remains both sweet and engaging due to great performances by the cast.
March 16, 2014
A very engaging sweet movie. A French feel good movie.
November 29, 2013
A solid one hanky - just b/c it's so sweet.
½ October 13, 2013
An interesting friendship and turn of events...
Harlequin68
½ September 22, 2013

½ June 19, 2011
"Not always are love stories just made of love. Sometimes love is not named but it's love just the same"
August 18, 2012
Warm, Sweet, Nutty... Just like a perfect chocolate brownie...
July 15, 2013
Sentimental yes. But everyone will find something to identify with. Gisele Casadesus is just right.
June 21, 2013
We watched a French comedy last night about the friendship that develops between a semi-illiterate handyman and a 95 year old lady. Gerard Depardieu is the sensitive oak. Sentimental byt sweet. Called Afternoons with Margueritte if you're in to that sort of thing.
June 21, 2013
Loved it - but then I'm a sucker for French films in general and Depardieu in particular. I could watch him read the 'phone book! And as for Gisele Casadesus......Quite wonderful! Reminded me of Jessica Tandy's later film performances. A tad unbelievable? Oui. Bit schmaltzy? Un peu. Any good? Magnifique!
June 17, 2013
Any film that loves literature as much as this film does deserves every star it can get.
A lovely film.
April 15, 2013
Add a Review (Optional)
April 13, 2013
Una película extraordinariamente delicada y sensible. Un verdadero deleite del alma.
½ April 9, 2013
"My Afternoons with Margueritte" is a sweet film. Gerard Depardieu stars as Germain, a largely illiterate middle-aged man who finds company in the park with Magueritte (Gisele Cadadesus), a retired elderly woman who reads aloud to Germain, helping him to read. Mageuritte's kindness fills a void left by Germain's troubled, if not crazy mother. Ever since he was a boy, he was mistreated by his mum. Germain considered dim or thick. Even today, his friends regard him as an oaf. Germain is a good man; quickly he and Mageuritte become fast friends. Ginsele Casadesus is adorable. Depardieu is affable. "Afternoons" is lovely French confection. If it were an American film, it would be too cloying.
February 13, 2013
I loved this gentle little film about an elderly lady who opens up the world of books and reading for a man who always considered himself unintelligent. It was sweet without being maudlin and the script and acting were excellent. This little French film was a totally delight.