64% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

My Afternoons with Margueritte Reviews

March 16, 2014
A very engaging sweet movie. A French feel good movie.
February 1, 2014
A nice little French film, touching and charming.
January 30, 2014
Simple and very well told story with a role made to the size of Depardieu
August 19, 2012
Germain Chazes: It's not a typical love affair, but love and tenderness, both are there. Named after a daisy, she lived amongst words, surrounded by adjectives in green fields of verbs. Some force you yield to. But she, with soft art, passed through my hard shield and into my heart. Not always are love stories just made of love. Sometimes love is not named but it's love just the same. This is not a typical love affair I met her on a bench in my local square. She made a little stir, tiny like a bird with her gentle feathers. She was surrounded by words, some as common as myself. She gave me books, two or three Their pages have come alive for me. Don't die now, you've still got time, just wait It's not the hour, my little flower Give me some more of you. More of the life in you Wait Not always are stories just made of love Sometimes love is not named. But it's love just the same.

Germain es un hombre atormentado por su niñez donde fue maltratado psicológicamente por su madre. El abuso se ve reflejado en su vida diaria al tener poca confianza en si mismo, y hasta en sus relaciones, donde cree que no sería un buen padre porque no es lo suficientemente culto. Un día conoce a Margueritte, una mujer ya mayor de aspecto frágil que tiene una particular afinidad por la lectura. Ambos construyen una relación de admiración y cariño a pesar de ser tan distintos. My Afternoons with Margueritte es una pequeña película que no le falta amor y ternura. Además toca temas bastante profundos con ligereza, pero que no le quita la importancia que requiere. Germain y Marguerite son personajes inspiradores, que demuestran que sin importar de donde vengas o que has logrado en la vida, tienen cosas buenas que aportar a otras personas. A pesar de ser una película que maneja bien estos temas, peca de ser absurda en sus intenciones, sobretodo el final. Si, es tierno e ideal, pero ojalá se hubieran tomado un tiempo para pensar como resolver esa escena porque pareciera que tomaron la salida fácil, y una película de este calibre merecía un final memorable.
November 29, 2013
A solid one hanky - just b/c it's so sweet.
October 13, 2013
An interesting friendship and turn of events...
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 22, 2013
As a freelance handyman, Germain(Gerard Depardieu) leads an up and down life. On the down side, there is trying to get money out of clients for a completed job, writing his name on a war memorial and living in a trailer in clear sight of his domineering mother(Claire Maurier). At least, Annette(Sophie Guillemin), a much younger bus driver who he is dating, will spend the night with him there. As far as his afternoons go, there is Margueritte(Gisele Casadesus), an elderly woman who befriends him over lunch one day in the park.

"My Afternoons with Margueritte" is a touching slice of life movie that is helped by a thoroughly lived in performance from Gerard Depardieu. As the movie states eloquently, it is about love in all of its forms, including between generations.(I still think it is weird to be called 'young man' this side of 40.) A special emphasis is given to a love of literature. For the record, Germain is not stupid, nor really slow, just uneducated, which may not be surprising considering his bad experiences with the educational system when he was growing up. And you can see what might have happened if he had a good teacher to guide him in the first place.
June 19, 2011
"Not always are love stories just made of love. Sometimes love is not named but it's love just the same"
August 11, 2013
Depardieu ALWAYS makes a movie.....perfect for a sunday arvo.
August 8, 2013
Yes, good one, Master Depardieu. A little bit 'Driving Miss Daisy' and a bit saccharine, but overall very worthy and well-acted. And all heart. Watch this.
July 23, 2013
A beautiful film about a semi-literate man and a 95 year old woman (played by a 97 year old woman!) who shares her love of reading with him. After toxic dosages of Hollywood's big budget, derivative and lifeless films, this was like freshness incarnate, a film that depends on powerful performance of the two charismatic leads and a script that handles fairly a wide range of issues, from bad teaching practices in schools to the treatment of senior citizens, without seeming to preach at the audience, this is a little gem of a film, and highly recommended for people who love to read!
August 18, 2012
Warm, Sweet, Nutty... Just like a perfect chocolate brownie...
July 15, 2013
Sentimental yes. But everyone will find something to identify with. Gisele Casadesus is just right.
June 21, 2013
We watched a French comedy last night about the friendship that develops between a semi-illiterate handyman and a 95 year old lady. Gerard Depardieu is the sensitive oak. Sentimental byt sweet. Called Afternoons with Margueritte if you're in to that sort of thing.
June 21, 2013
Loved it - but then I'm a sucker for French films in general and Depardieu in particular. I could watch him read the 'phone book! And as for Gisele Casadesus......Quite wonderful! Reminded me of Jessica Tandy's later film performances. A tad unbelievable? Oui. Bit schmaltzy? Un peu. Any good? Magnifique!
June 17, 2013
Any film that loves literature as much as this film does deserves every star it can get.
A lovely film.
June 17, 2013
A really lovely French drama about an old lady of 95 who befriends a middle-aged man who considers himself to be a bit of a loser. She teaches him a love of reading and they become really close friends. There are a few funny lines, too!
April 15, 2013
Add a Review (Optional)
April 13, 2013
Una película extraordinariamente delicada y sensible. Un verdadero deleite del alma.
April 9, 2013
"My Afternoons with Margueritte" is a sweet film. Gerard Depardieu stars as Germain, a largely illiterate middle-aged man who finds company in the park with Magueritte (Gisele Cadadesus), a retired elderly woman who reads aloud to Germain, helping him to read. Mageuritte's kindness fills a void left by Germain's troubled, if not crazy mother. Ever since he was a boy, he was mistreated by his mum. Germain considered dim or thick. Even today, his friends regard him as an oaf. Germain is a good man; quickly he and Mageuritte become fast friends. Ginsele Casadesus is adorable. Depardieu is affable. "Afternoons" is lovely French confection. If it were an American film, it would be too cloying.