My Beautiful Laundrette Reviews

April 17, 2015
This is a movie that I had heard about for years, and I had some vague idea of what it was about, but I wasn't ever interested in seeing it until Daniel Day-Lewis won me over in A Room with a View. That was when I knew I had to watch it, and I'm really glad I did, because it's possibly one of the most intriguing films I've seen in ages, even if I didn't realise it the first time I watched it.

Having been made in 1985, My Beautiful Laundrette takes place in south London at the height of the Thatcher era. It tells the story of Omar, a Pakistani businessman who takes over his family's laundrette, with the help of his lover, Johnny. However, both of them are tangled up in their own problems. As the son of a first generation immigrant, Omar wants to make it in England, but his efforts are complicated by his involvement with Salim (a drug trafficker) as well as threats from a gang of racists. Johnny also has his own set of problems, since he is a former white supremacist from that gang, and he wants to use this business partnership as an opportunity to start over.

When I first saw this movie, I didn't know how to feel about it. There were definitely parts that really resonated with me, but there were other parts that felt outright bizarre. Most movies you watch and then forget about 20 minutes later, but in this case, even when I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I knew I had to see it again. That was when I fully realised how great it was. First of all, what's so fascinating about Laundrette is that it was made in the 80s, but it doesn't feel dated. Instead, it feels more like a period piece that's made to capture a really specific part of British history, like Billy Elliot.

Laundrette only takes place within a small time frame, but it's enough for us to really get a sense of what life was like in this part of England, in this point in time, and how different people got through it. We see immigrants like Omar's father who hate the British government, and on the opposite end, immigrants like Omar and his uncle who want to succeed in this new country. We also have white characters who feel threatened by immigration, as well as white characters who are in the middle. Really, everyone has their own identity crisis, and their own desire to belong somewhere.

Of course, we can't talk about this movie without talking about the acting. There are some really good performances from Saeed Jaffrey and Roshan Seth, both of whom create really interesting and memorable characters, but of course, the big standout is Daniel Day-Lewis. As many people have pointed out, this film came out the exact same year as A Room with a View, where he plays a character so different that it's hard for you to believe they're the same person. People were blown away by it in the 80s, and it's still mind blowing today. He made this film before method acting became a standard part of his process, but even then, he still brings a real sense of humanity and depth to his character. We know Johnny has a rough past with fascist gangs, but we don't get the sense that he has any deep-seated hatred for immigrants. Instead, he's a troubled young person who only got involved with these people because he felt his life was going nowhere, and that group at least gave him an identity and a purpose. That's why people like this are so easy to recruit in real life.

I could go on and on about this movie, because every time I watch it, I want to know more about this world, and more about the characters. I seriously think it would make an awesome TV show, and I'd watch the hell out of it. With that said though, if I were to nitpick, there are a couple of faults here and there. Laundrette was made on a shoestring budget. It was originally going to be a TV movie, but it ended up getting a theatrical release, and ... it shows, because the production values aren't always that good. And then of course there's the music. The bubble music. When I first saw it, it really put me off, but oddly enough, if you watch it again and you know it's coming, you can kinda laugh at it, or try to ignore it. Still, if you're willing to look past it, there is a lot to like in this movie. The acting is great, the story is relatively simple, but it's still great. In terms of representation, it's awesome. I know the film as a whole might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I still can't recommend it enough.
April 9, 2015
A disastrous film with the most ridiculous story I've ever seen and it's disgusting socialist agenda is shocking. Just the title credit would be enough to revolt you. It's not funny at all, most importantly.
February 15, 2015
I have seen this film on several "100 Best Films" lists (well, for sub-genres), but I just don't get it. Other than having progressive social messages, there's little that keeps the film from being a complete washout. The acting is not impressive -- and indeed, the main star (Warnecke) has an impenetrable, silly smile for no reason throughout the film, even when a smile is completely out of synch with what's going on around him. The cinematography, editing, sound and everything else technical sinks to the level of your typical 1980's "B movie". Even the opening credits are ineffective novelties, with titles spinning around like they're going down the drain with the rest of the movie. And the writing! Nothing is adequately explained other than the point that both Pakistani immigrants and blue collar street toughs perceive themselves to be disadvantaged by each other. Romances and sexuality issues come out of nowhere and subsequently disappear without even seeming to register on Warnecke's silly grin. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone other than film historians who care about its influence on 1980's British cinema because it sure ain't enjoyable otherwise.
December 13, 2014
An interesting story. I ended up liking this movie a lot, and want to see more by Daniel Day Lewis.
½ December 4, 2014
Gay cinema is largely awash with mediocre soft-core smut, so for a film to gracefully explore race, economics, and homophobia in an intelligent, entertaining way is nothing short of miraculous. Smart, funny, and willing to tackle hot-button issues fearlessly, " My Beautiful Laundrette" is an excellent example of the possibilities of low-budget filmmaking, boasting a script littered with witty lines and a performance from Daniel Day Lewis worthy of it's legacy in gay film history.
July 17, 2014
Complex character study and very gay
½ June 27, 2014
It's a wonderful film though it has dated a tad.
April 10, 2014
Horrible epitome of lame british humor combined with a bunch of faggots doing stupid things.
½ March 17, 2014
Under the iron curtain of Thatcherism in the 1980s, UK veteran Stephen Frears' fourth feature film is an ethnic barrier-breaker in the world queer cinema, much as its fervid confrontations between races and social classes, the central closeted romance between an ex-punk Johnny (Day-Lewis) and a Pakistani Briton Omar (Warnecke) is nurtured with robust intimacy and Úlan.

Enclosed by a synth-pop heavy pulse, the film starts with Johnny and his gang being expelled from their squatting apartment by some heavies, a similar territory Daniel Day-Lewis would retread in IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER (1993), then cutting to introduce another protagonist, Omar, a college dropout sent to work for his uncle Nasser (Jaffrey) by his bed-ridden father (Seth), a disillusioned idealist and leftist), in Nasser's car-washing lot, Omar meets Nasser's business partner Salim (Branche), a menacing and overbearing bully who conducts some seedy business and Nasser's mistress Rachel (Anne Field), who assumes a quite modernized view of being the other woman, but the entire entanglement will end up with some ludicrous witchcraft.

Omar is ambitious and fast-learning, soon he gets the permission to run Nasser's dilapidated laundromat, and reunites with Johnny, who has been his best friend since childhood, together they embezzle the dough from Salim's underhand drug smuggling and refurbish the laundrette and make a successful business, their romance is also rekindled. But at the same time, Omar is obliged by Nasser to marry his disobedient daughter Tania (Wolf), and Johnny is reckoned as a betrayer by his ne'er-do-well gang members since he is working for Palestinians (also as an unscrewer for kick out Nasser's impecunious tenants), in addition to the conflict between Omar and Salim, there will be blood in the end.

Violence is a requisite in depicting the gulf between well-off immigrants and poverty-stricken native malcontents, xenophobia, racial bias and chauvinism, all can be easily related and incited under the harsh environs, but Frears doesn't attempt to make a point by resorting too much to the excesses, whereas the tender, masculine attraction between two men is rendered with cozy panache and passion, truly, it is an in-the-closet relationship, but it is not about coming-out or AIDs, these routine trappings of the era, their future might be a moot point, however, the virtue of their love strikes as comfortingly authentic and endearing, thanks to the great pair Warnecke and Day-Lewis, one is resolutely sincere and the other is overwhelmingly charismatic, they do make a desirable couple together! Juxtaposed with its peers like MAURICE (1987, 7/10) and ANOTHER COUNTRY (1984, 8/10), MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE's grassroots ambience and buoyant undertones applicably complement the missing piece of the UK queer cinema menagerie, not revolutionary, but a wonderful bliss indeed.
March 13, 2014
Beautiful movie for it's time!
January 3, 2014
Surprisingly good - quirky but hard to forget.
December 29, 2013
It's a good movie about a love story between two men set in the working class England from the 80's. The cast is doing a great job, the scenario avoids the cliche of the genre.
November 23, 2013
its danie;l day lewis taut intelligent erotic see an emerging star here
October 3, 2013
I thought this was a great movie. Always keeps you thinking about what the characters are thinking and why they act they do. Omar was great; he looks like a goody two shoes but he really is quite smart and cunning. Johnny was brilliant; what a charismatic actor! There was no need for us to see their relationship develop; it just happened in the middle of the movie. It wasn't a surprise; they had chemistry the first time they met onscreen. I liked how they presented so many issues (racism, nationality, love etc) in such a believable way. Loved the two leads and the supporting characters were interesting in their own ways.
June 23, 2013
Jonny, a working class fascist who likes to bach the heads of immigrants meets Omar, a childhood Pakistani friend. The two develop a love affair and run a launderette. Argubly the best film by Stephen Frears, whose unlikely tale of romance is perfectly representational of a rebellious and charismatic style in vogue at the time in which it was released. My Beautiful Launderette brims with creativity and charisma, aided by some great performances, including a notable early Daniel Day-Lewis one as a Billy Idol like punk who is as romantic as he is rebellious - much like the film itself.
May 15, 2013
Day-Lewis is quite simply a genius. He makes this film fly!
½ March 25, 2013
A first for British film company Working Title and an early work from the great Daniel Day-Lewis. This film as it is the first of many to be produced by the film company Working Title makes it important within British cinema. However this film not only is it important to british cinema but also to Britain as it faces some key elements within society such as race, sexuality, and politics.
½ March 31, 2013
"My Beautiful Laundrette" is an interesting movie, especially at its time since it depicts mutliple aspects of the UK society from the 80's. The story is around Omar, son of a Pakistani immigrant. Omar is living with his father and his father hopes his son would continue school, however Omar sees his life differently and want to be a businessman like his uncle. At the same time you have Johnny, an old friend of Omar, living as a "homeless" guy that is part of a club who hates immigrants and particularly Pakistani... Nethertheless, Johnny and Omar will have to take care of a laundrette together for Omar's uncle, which allow them to also express their love with each other.
I think the movie was smart but is rather slow and might feel very obscure. The main character Omar is particularly strange - he looks very out of the world, nearly dreamy, which doesn't go with the dark ambiance of the movie...