Movies Like My Best Friend Is a Vampire

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

My Best Friend Is a Vampire Reviews

AJ V

September 6, 2010
This isn't the best of the teen vampire movies of the 80s or anything, but personally I loved it, it's fun, exciting, and funny. It's the perfect 80s entertainment, plus it's a vampire movie, so enjoy it.
Emily A

November 4, 2010
I have such a soft spot for this movie - it's part of my childhood. It's kind of funny how my young mind glossed over all the sexual elements and focussed entirely on the comedy and vampire bits. Come to think of it, 12-year-old me did that quite a bit. Anyway, this movie is just delightful, but you need to suspend your disbelief with fifty-pound-test fishing line. This movie asks you to accept some pretty zany things, and some pretty wall-banging knots in the plot. Do the police just give out scanners so that American households can plot thier routes to school? Why does Nora turn into a cat while all the other vampires turn into wolves? But no, not bats though. That would just be silly. And why don't the cops in this town do anything when a teenager tells them that he just witnessed his friend being abducted by two middle-aged men in a white van? *sigh*

What makes this movie so endearing is the comedy and the characters. Robert Sean Leonard is really really likeable as Jeremy Capello and Evan Mirand was hilarious as his best friend, who serves as the comic relief. Actually, one of the things I found funniest was seeing Ralph interact with Grimsdyke, Professor McCarthy's doofus of a sidekick. The two have confused which of the two kids is the vampire and spent the movie hunting (and confusing) Ralph. I was surprised in hindsight at how much of this movie is devoted to car chases.
Jason S

March 2, 2009
Mildly entertaining 80's teen flick much in the vein of Teen Wolf. The acting isn't good and the plot is a little too silly. A lot of logic has to be thrown out the door on this one. It will come as a surprise when you see a few people in this flick... such as Kathy Bates in a small roles as the girl friend's mom.
divinetrash
divinetrash

December 27, 2007
The film inserts and interesting subcontext in which to present the vampire angle of the story, but then completely fails to explore it. The resolution is so corny, I've seen edgier episodes of Wizards of Waverly Place.
iLeo
iLeo

April 12, 2007
Funny!
June 23, 2014
Another teen sex comedy with some horror elements. A high school student moonlights as a delivery-boy. He makes a delivery to the house of a sexy older woman who happens to be vampire Countess. Not very entertaining, despite a few funny moments; on par with the similarly-themed Once Bitten.
January 7, 2013
This film belongs among the cult classics such as buffy the vampire slayer, although this one stays true the whole film.
August 28, 2012
I kinda dug my first watch of this one, especially since the newly made vampire decides to try to cope with his condition instead of trying to figure out a cure he just tries to make the best of things and stay ahead of an overzealous vampire hunter.

Worth a rental.
Rottengirl23
December 8, 2010
This movie was pretty funny. I love vampire movies and my bff told me about this movie. we watched it for one of our movie nights and I loved it. I still can't believe that is Dr. Wilson!
jam233
October 8, 2009
Lame 1980?s crap, not very original and certainly there is nothing special about it. The acting is fair, it?s not as funny as it intended it to be. Very ordinary and uninspiring. Notable though for Kathy Bates in an early appearance.
June 20, 2008
The ultimate culmination of things we'd like to forget from the eighties. Tihs is a fun little movie that pokes fun at teenagers and vampires in the same field and does it smartly. It got a few chuckles out of me, especially the silver bullet joke at the end.
MovieGuruDude72
May 24, 2007
I saw this on USA Up all Night once. It was typical 80s drek. A silly premise with actors and actresses walking around in 80s garb and a soundtrack with synthesizers and Pat Benatar.
March 10, 2008
Really funny. if my best friend was a vampire....I'd make em change me nd go on a rampage hee hee n_n
farrahforfilm
February 24, 2008
I remember this from when I was in middle school.Good times!"His futures so bright he's gotta wear shades"Every time I hear that song I think of that movie.
January 14, 2008
This was back in the day when I really liked Robert Sean Leonard. It's kinda lame and dated and I don't think I'd bother watching it again. Watch "Once Bitten" instead.
April 2, 2007
great movie about teenage problems, but add vampirism to those teenage problems and things get worse
stephenfrakes
March 13, 2007
I like vampire movies, but this one is totally different. It is a comedy. A teenage boy getting bitten by a vampiress and the changes he goes through as he starts to see the changes. Ending is funny too.
Jubei
January 24, 2007
This is so much better than Once Bitten. It has a great soundtrack, one of the first movies to feature the song " I gotta wear shades"
dutchboydvh
August 14, 2006
This silly little vampire story was surprisingly enjoyable. My favorite part of the film is, when their son keeps acting oddly, the parents surmise that he's gay, and are very supportive; much to his suprise. When it comes out that he's actually a vampire, they are not sure what to do! Funny film!
August 5, 2013
Entertaining enough 80s cheese but the ending is very rushed.