My Favorite Year (1982)
Average Rating: 7.9/10
Reviews Counted: 22
Fresh: 22 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Oct 1, 1982 Wide
Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 4,667
It is 1954, and the larger-than-life, swahbuckling movie star Alan Swann is set to make his first television appearance on the hugely popular show, The Comedy Cavalcade. Given Swann's reputation as a wild, unpredictable alcoholic, the producers give their new writer, young Benjy Stone, the job of babysitting Swann and getting him to the show on time and sober. The experience is far more stressful than Benjy expected, but after some adventures, he and Swann both learn some valuable lessons and
Oct 1, 1982 Wide
Jul 9, 2002
MGM Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Anne De Salvo
Tony di Benedetto
Fed. Marshal Holt
Archie Hahn III
George Marshall Ruge
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Peter O'Toole received an Oscar nomination for playing an eccentric womanizer and boozy star (modeled on Errol Flynn) in this charming comedy set in the 1950s.
Wildly enjoyable comedy with great O'Toole performance.
Portrays the golden age of television in a warmly affectionate light, while delivering the criminally entertaining Peter O'Toole at his most devilishly charming.
...an affectionate look back on those golden years of live TV...a delightful little romp.
Audience Reviews for My Favorite Year
- Alan Swann: I didn't marry any of them. They married me.
- Alan Swann: Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.
- Sy Benson: It's not acting. It's kissing and jumping and drinking and humping.
- Belle Carroca: Welcome to our humble chapeau.
- Benjy Stone: Two years at the Sorbonne and she still can't get it right.
- Benjy Stone: [about to throw up] Mr. Swann, I think I am going to be unwell.
- Alan Swann: Stone, women are unwell, men vomit.
- Alan Swann: I'm not an actor; I'm a movie star!
Discuss My Favorite Year on our Movie forum!