Mein Führer - Die wirklich wahrste Wahrheit über Adolf Hitler (My Fuhrer) Reviews

PantaOz
July 16, 2012
After causing controversy with his previous project "Go for Zucker, writer and directory Dani Levy's latest project does the same. A comedy with Adolf Hitler! The story is happening in December 1944, when Germany has been almost destroyed by the bombardments and the Third Reich (1000 year) rule is almost over after a few years. I don't want to go too deep into the story and ruin your fun, but it is an amazing skill to "fiddle" with the history, and to have people who watch it to believe and laugh at the same time.

This is not a movie which will offend one group or another! No! Everyone is just a human in this movie, with their own weaknesses and problems. You will laugh watching sometimes with some kind of understanding and sympathy one of the biggest villains of the humanity! I have to admit that director's skill was so refined that somehow under my skin I could feel even a subtle, subversive form of respect! It wasn't all due to the director, though. Adolf Hitler in this movie is a depressed man brilliantly acted by Helge Schneider. But you will see the other sides as well, because all his character had from social and political interaction in his life was somehow connected with the confrontation of paternal anger and penis envy! Other excellent performances of Hitler's companions Joseph Goebbels (Sylvester Groth) and Adolf Grünbaum (Ulrich Mühe) should be remembered by the lovers of the exceptional acting.

If you like unusual humour - don't miss this one...

And for the end:
Hitler: "Don't take the Holocaust thing so personally... It wasn't even really my idea."
February 20, 2012
Interesting movie. Not as funny as I thought it would be, but you can have some laughs and the idea of Hitler's character in the movie was great. Good ending.
PantaOz
July 16, 2012

If you like unusual humour - don't miss this one...

And for the end:
½ January 24, 2010
Marked by an excellent performance by Ulrich Muhe (?The Lives of Others?, ?Funny Games?), this tragicomic film presents an historical fantasy blending fact and fiction, set in the waning months of World War II. Muhe plays Adolf Grunsbaum, an acting and voice professor, a humanist, and a prisoner in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. One day, he is mysteriously rushed away from the camp, through the bombed out streets of Berlin to the HQ of the beleaguered Nazi party. Goebbels (Groth, who plays the same role in ?Inglourious Basterds?), a former student and fan, had enlisted Grunsbaum once before to help to hone the Fuhrer?s famous oratorical skills and he is hoping that the professor can work his magic once again. The position will grant Grunsbaum a unique opportunity; the chance to kill Hitler. Will he take advantage of the situation and forsake his deeply-held scruples?
Helge Schneider plays Hitler as a deeply wounded, petulant child, striving in vain for the approval of his arbitrary and abusive father. He is a simpering wretch who has lost the bluster of his youth as his empire- and his resolve- crumbles. Alone in the mostly empty building steadily rocked by Allied bomb runs, he is deceived and patronized by the officers around him, even as they plot his overthrow.
This is not a comedy, per se, as there are very few jokes. A good portion of the story is a kind of psychoanalysis of Hitler and his motives. Most of the humor stems from the depiction of the Nazi officers, including; Goebbels portrayed as an exceptionally smooth and ruthless conman and lech, Himmler with his right arm in a cast, propped up in a perpetual Sig Heil, and scenes depicting the absurd inanity of the bureaucracy of the Third Reich, including drawing guns on each other over the lack of a proper paper form, even as squads of Allied planes pepper them with bombs.
Some people seem to take issue with the subject matter, but this film is not exploitative. It is simply unafraid to point out the humorous in the monstrous.