Movies Like My Kid Could Paint That

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

My Kid Could Paint That Reviews

November 12, 2011
Good, but marred somewhat by the director's bias towards the end.
September 11, 2011
Documental que posee mucho más valor como análisis del arte moderno que como un análisis de una posible estafa millonaria. Que por cierto creo que es EVIDENTE.
rayjansons
July 15, 2011
An interesting, well made and wel paced documentary.
Robert M.
July 14, 2010
A amazingly honest window into the controversy and drama that surrounds this story. I felt ,at times, sure of the authenticity of the parents claims. Them , suddenly, they seemed like crazy people lying to the world and their daughter.

The close personal scenes with the father are uneasy to the point of conjuring up a twisted Haneke plot.

This once again proves that the modern art world is drawn to great personalities not great art.
Taylor G.
May 5, 2011
I found this movie to be interesting, but odd. I thought that Marla might have done some of the paintings, but not all. Everytime Marla was required to paint a paintig on camera or infront of someone other than her parents she couldn't do it. At one point in the show she asked her father daddy should i add more or am i done? And at another part she said to her father dadddy i didn't paint that one she said her little brother did. Other than that it was a alright movie. But it did show me how much people follow media but then get easily distracted... like a dog when he gets a bone.
May 5, 2011
We watchid this in class. We were required to answer questions about. It really got me thinking about how the media can take something and pretty much ruin it. Her family didn't deserve the negative energy toward them, if the dad is lying that would be a pretty heavy burden to bear especially under the pressure he was in. You would wonder what Marla will be like in terms of her art when she is older, if she continues or not. I personally hear enough stories about amazing children, so this documentary really did not do anything for me.
Elene W.
May 5, 2011
I really liked this movie because of the question at the end. Can Marla really paint that well or did her dad do it for her. Did the media just make up the idea that Marla's dad did the paintings or is Marla just a really special girl that can really paint. The question of that just made the movie REALLY REALLY Great!! I would give it five stars *****
louis b.
April 7, 2011
while the content in this documentary is very dull and not as interesting as, Exit through the Gift Shop, Amir is on the sidelines of this families turmoil as their daughter clings onto the spot light in the art world. It does however, show the troubles of art in society and the standards that are set by critics of art.
February 22, 2011
An extremely captivating and thought-provoking film. Anyone with an opinion on art owes it to themselves to watch it.
February 1, 2011
Top notch documentary!
November 21, 2007
The documentary starts out to tell the story of a young girl, who at the age of 3 begins to paint what many in the art field saw as brilliant abstract paintings that were "good enough to hang in the museum of modern art". But mid way through the film (and without giving too much away) the film takes another turn and becomes far more interesting. It opens up a lot room for discussion on many counts. Did her parents hand away her childhood for fame, and bite of more than she could actually chew? Is the child actually doing the artwork herself, or being coached - or even assisted with the painting? Are the parents together on this journey for the right or the wrong of it, or is it dad who has his own agenda? It's very intreging and I would recommend to anyone. Be sure to watch the special features as well as it will add to how you view and surmise the documentary itself.
March 6, 2008
bland and boring...although i do like paintings and such, this documentary didnt really go anywhere... and just for the record i would not use the word "genius" to describe this girl, same goes with "prodigy" (also bc i dont think she painted them)
oh and the lady that bought 'ocean' is a dumbass! never buy a painting unless you absolutly love it! geez!
apostleX
June 29, 2010
Fascinating and in the end heartbreaking. I don't think she completely did all the paintings. Marla is just a sweet little girl and her parents probably fell into a trap that seemed impossible to escape from once the hype machine was running and the money was pouring in. How do you STOP a lie once the machinery is flying in full force. I hope Marla can one day forgive her parents once she realizes that the con was in. A very well made documentary in that the position of the piece shifted when the filmmaker started to have doubts.
January 28, 2010
"All writers, all storytellers, are imposing their own narrative on something. I mean, all art in some ways is a lie. It looks like a picture of something, but it isn't that thing, it's a representation of that thing... Your documentary is itself going to be a lie. It's a construction of things, it's how you wish to represent the truth and how you've decided to tell a particular story. By that I don't mean that certain things don't happen. Of course they do. It's not that there is no such thing as truth. But we come to like and trust a certain story, not because it's necessarily the most absolutely truthful, but because it's a thing that we tell ourselves that makes sense of the world, at least at this moment. "
KYELCORE
April 25, 2010
This movie pissed me off.
RickyRoma
January 6, 2010
I came across this documentary on TV one day. I have to say that it is one of the most intriguing documentaries I've ever seen. I love how Amir Bar-Lev went into making this documentary thinking one notion, only to question that same notion toward the end of the film. Brilliant; you have to check it out.
Brody M

October 30, 2009
OK documentary.Makes you wanna buy your kids Some paint,An easel,Some brushes & whatever & see what they come up with & try & sell it to some rich people
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
Amir Bar-Lev strikes gold with this documentary. A very capable film maker gets his break when a twist in the story he is covering reveals a compelling mystery. This is a doc about so much more than a little girls paintings and its text book perfect film making!
TioB
September 18, 2009
What threatens to be a gratingly cute fluff piece about an artsy tyke turns out to be a fascinatingly self-reflexive commentary on authorship, media manipulation of public opinion, and the absurdity of treating childishly simple modern art as commerce.