My Side of the Mountain Reviews

½ March 20, 2010
Considering when it was made, it was a good movie. It's takes you on a wilderness adventure with a lot of precious animals along the way!
October 26, 2006
I loved the book. It was a landmark in my childhood. But why is there a movie? And why was it so terribly done? Too many changes were made, and so much of the book's quality died with it.
April 13, 2008
A slender, honest study of a boy learning to be a man his own way.
November 8, 2014
Heartwarming story for the whole family, it teaches us to enjoy nature and its gifts but also to respect it.
July 2, 2014
I found this tale extremely irresponsible and very farfetched. In reality, this boy would have died and caused his parents untold heartbreak. But the story told had the added danger of making the situation seem very appealing to boys who like the outdoors, without stressing the danger of hypothermia, sickness, accidents or attack by either animals or humans. And what the parents were suffering was never given adequate expression. Not to mention the fact that Theodore Bickel's character should have immediately reported the kid. The only thing I approved of here was the anti-hunting message. Oh, I forgot to mention that this kid could not act his way out of a paper bag.
January 5, 2013
I remember watching this movie when I was younger with my family and falling in love with it. It's a movie that I'll never forget, great for all ages. Based on the age old story of a boy becoming a man but with a new take. Full of adventure that will thrill your young children and amuse yourself and your teens.
April 15, 2011
This mis-understood masterwork has long been seen as a bad adaption of the Jean Craighead George's novel. This misunderstanding has long plagued the work, miring critical appraisal to a simply a forgettable failure. By setting the film in Canada rather than Upstate New York James B. Clark has created a clear satire of the pioneering isolationist American Ideal which Sam Gribley typifies. In the fatalist universe of the Canadian wilderness, Sam's quest to survive alone in the forest fails based on Nothop Frye's concept of the Garrison Mentality . A Canadian Classic in the tradition of Roughing it in the Bush this film is a must-see!
January 20, 2011
worst movie everrrrrr
½ June 21, 2009
The pedophile that made this movie apparently thought kids would like it more if he added something that wasn't in the book. So he added algae? That's right, the young hero of the movie is obsessed with algae. It is his passion. He elaborates this sentiment several times in voice-overs.

Sometimes I think about this movie at night, and I have to bite my pillow to keep from screaming in horror.
½ March 13, 2008
another classic.a young man leaves home to live in the mountains .can he survive. a must see
½ February 12, 2007
The hero of this mediocre adaptation, Sam, keeps citing Thoreau. I can only suspect he'd never actually read any. Sam is more than twice the woodsman Thoreau was. It's true that both Sam and Thoreau were living on family land. However, there was no longer a house on Sam's land, whereas Thoreau didn't spend an entire day alone pretty much the entire time--and he ate dinner at his mother's more often than not.

I first encountered [i]My Side of the Mountain[/i] when Mrs. Razum, my fourth grade teacher, read it aloud to us after lunch. I first became aware that there was a movie version when I acquired a movie cover copy.

As Graham puts it, I won't be collecting this one.

It's not exactly that it's a bad adaptation, although several major plot points are altered and several characters are left out entirely. (Also, it's been shifted in location from the Catskills to Canada; in the book, Sam is from Manhattan, but the movie Sam is from Toronto.) However, it's not good enough to make me want to watch it again. It's just close enough to be irritating, because there are so many little things that are wrong.

For example, Movie Sam takes a raccoon with him when he leaves home. Book Sam does not; where in an overcrowded Manhattan apartment would he keep it? What's more, Movie Sam's raccoon is named Gus, and Book Sam's befriended wild raccoon is Jesse James. That's more than a little different. Movie Sam is experimenting on algae and completely neglects Book Sam's acorn flour for noxious algae concoctions that not even he likes.

Oh, yeah--and the endings are completely different. I hate when that happens.