Five Favorite Films with Michael Shannon

Summary

Michael Shannon has made an impressive mark on Hollywood in the past few years. The noted character actor picked up a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for his small-but-crucial role in Revolutionary Road, and this year he?s had two new movies in release -- Werner Herzog's My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done, an unconventional police procedural that examines the mind of a man who slowly went mad, and The Runaways, playing the legendary (and legendarily piggish) rock impresario Kim Fowley. As Brad in My Son, My Son, Shannon convincingly embodies a deeply disturbed man whose life was changed during a rafting trip in Peru; upon his return to the States, he becomes consumed by religious fervor and his performance in a community theater -- and the result isn?t pretty. And in The Runaways, Shannon plays Fowley with a carnival-barker?s sense of showbiz -- as well as a shrewd head for the music business. Back to Article

Comments

dodgerblue

Bruce Wayne

Gaspar Noe huh? Enter the Void looks pretty amazing.

Sep 17 - 12:59 AM

faiz s.

faiz saad

I remember from Revolutionary Road

The Decalogue Legendary series

I respect him For selected This masterpiece

Sep 17 - 03:41 AM

AJAX

Aaron Schroeder

Michael Shannon is a great actor. His performance in Revolutionary Road is phenomenal as the insane character who turns out to be the only sane one of the bunch. Great top 5, and I can't wait to see him start getting the roles he deserves.

Sep 17 - 01:42 PM

7thhell

jason johnson

He was great in Bug. Good actor.

Sep 17 - 09:43 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I've honestly only seen him in "Lucky You," a movie that virtually no one saw.

Sep 18 - 07:59 AM

meep

Melinda Smith

Look at Shannon's filmography and be very surprised! Groundhog Day, Jesus' Son, Cecil B. Demented, Tigerland, Pearl Harbor, Vanilla Sky, 8 Mile, The Woodsman. How did he fly under the radar for so long? I first took notice in Bug and Shotgun Stories. He'd be in my top ten favorite actors working today, if I had such a list. Amazing actor and I look forward to everything he's in. Equally amazing and dense list of five favorite films. Love him.

Sep 18 - 08:28 AM

girly g.

girly girl

i remember him from waaaaaayyy back as frankie lombardo in KANGAROO JACK
that's just random but good list excited for BOARDWALK EMPIRE him and scorsese is a good mix

Sep 19 - 12:59 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday