Five Favorite Films and an Interview with Harvey Weinstein

Summary

Whichever way you look at it, Harvey Weinstein is a legendary figure in the movie world. His original production and distribution company, Miramax, was instrumental in reshaping the landscape of American independent film in the late 1980s and into the '90s, ushering in such landmark movies as Steven Soderbergh's sex, lies, and videotape and Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction. A passionate film lover and formidable Oscar season presence, Weinstein has been involved in all kinds of award-winning films, from Shakespeare In Love to The Lord of the Rings trilogy to last year's Academy champ, The King's Speech. This week, Weinstein serves as a producer and distributor on two critically-lauded films: My Week with Marilyn, starring Michelle Williams as the iconic Miss Monroe, and The Artist, Jean Dujardin's silent movie smash that's now wooing American audiences. The super-producer called in this week for an entertaining chat about his involvement in the projects, what drives him to make films, and how he sees this year's Oscar derby. Read on for the full interview, but first -- we asked him to pick his five favorite films. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Turkey Day. Tryptophan on celluloid.

Nov 23 - 11:44 PM

D P.

D P

Obviously you've never seen His Girl Friday.

Dec 28 - 09:52 PM

Reza T.

Reza Trikurnia

good list from super producer....
i love Two for the Road, Audrey Hepburn is very pretty and lovely.....
and i hope there is a movie about Audrey Hepburn...
and they were expendable....underrated war movie...
i think harvey Weinstein better than jerry bruckheimer....

Nov 24 - 10:19 AM

nongshim

Kathryne C

aww, man, i thought we were talking about harvey fierstein.

Nov 24 - 11:50 AM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

wow... these movies are so old... i've never heard any one of them...

Nov 24 - 01:19 PM

Dave J

By saying that kind of makes you seem like a child or at least have a mind of one, so if I were you I'd at least try to appear to be older and intelligent instead of looking like you're no film watcher at all as opposed to say that they looked interesting and at least should check them out because of those high ratings!

Nov 24 - 01:59 PM

Dave J

I mean do you you even know who Marilyn Munroe at all since she's starred in films during that era!

Nov 24 - 02:01 PM

Clayton S.

Clayton Shank

I think the inferred film "adult" should learn how to spell the name of the icon he's referring to, before chastising a junior film watcher. Just a thought.

Nov 24 - 04:24 PM

Dave J

Appreciate for the correction for I've been known to mispell other peoples names before especially the users and it's certainly not going to be the last!

Nov 28 - 02:23 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Do yourself a favor, Jason. Catch up on the classics!

Nov 25 - 11:13 PM

David W.

David West

no need to be a douche bag dave

Nov 29 - 06:46 PM

Dave J

My comment wasn't intentioned to be antagonistic and apologize that it's viewed that way for I thought Jason H's commment was more offensive than mine, simplying implying that because films are older must mean that they're not very good or can't hold up during time when it's really the other way around!

Dec 1 - 03:23 PM

Dave J

And by implying that the films are 'old' kind of kills the expression that if I haven't seen it then it's new to me!

Dec 1 - 03:26 PM

Nov 24 - 01:59 PM

Nov 24 - 02:01 PM

Clayton S.

Clayton Shank

Nov 24 - 04:24 PM

Nov 28 - 02:23 PM

Dave J

Anyways, I love "How Green Is My Valley" and "City Lights" and didn't care for "They Were Expendables" and "His Girl Friday" very much for they were okay during it's time! Haven't really seen the other two aformentions!

Nov 24 - 02:04 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

This guy loves classy films.

Nov 24 - 02:17 PM

Brantastic16

Brandon Williamson

YES! City Lights is my favorite movie! The only other one I've seen is His Girl Friday, which I LIKED, but didn't quite love.

Nov 24 - 04:14 PM

Clayton S.

Clayton Shank

Nov 24 - 04:24 PM

Nov 28 - 02:23 PM

ayush g.

ayush giri

I am so glad that he put two for the road in his list.......I absolutely love that movie and Audrey Hepburn as well

Nov 24 - 07:56 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank