My Wife Is an Actress Reviews

hunterjt13
March 18, 2011
The marriage between a successful actress and a sportswriter suffers as a result of jealousy, distance, and the nature of her profession.
After watching this film, you shouldn't wonder why relationships in Hollywood last as long as milk on a hot day. Yvan Attal's deft, comic story-telling renders all the awkwardness a man might feel while watching his wife naked on screen. And the scene in which he surprises her on set only to find the entire cast and crew naked is truly hilarious. I'm glad that the film stopped at sexual jealousy and didn't suggest that Yvan was emasculated because his wife's success eclipsed his own. Such a plot would have been cliche and reduced Yvan's character to nothing more than a typically insecure male.
Terence Stamp is perfectly cast as the cad co-star who crosses the line between creating "on-screen chemistry" and seducing another man's wife. His lecherous looks make him dangerously charming, and there is the right amount of self-aggrandizing to make his character worthy of comic ridicule.
I was fully prepared to go as high as four stars until the end. I don't know what Attal was thinking, but the story never resolved. We never know what motivates this couple's decision, and as a result, it's difficult to determine what exactly Attal is saying about these characters or the business of filmmaking.
Overall, though, My Wife Is an Actress provides some brilliant moments and is filled with charming performances.
December 8, 2007
Cute, fun, entertaining. Its cuter when you think about the fact that Yvan Attal is writting/acting out his own story and marriage w/ Charlott. Sweet and cute and real
½ August 31, 2011
It's a French romantic comedy. Pre-marital and extra-marital relationships are serious subjects of French Cinema. Then what could be the subject of a romantic French Comedy? ...yes it's about a 'marital affair' between a sports journalist and his wife, starred by a real life couple. Acts out of obsession, jealousy and doubt are the materials of comedy. The subject is old fashioned but popular indeed. However, don't miss the 'birth of a flower scene'.
February 17, 2011
Real life husband and wife star as husband and wife AND use their real first names? That's a bit much...but I still enjoyed it.
½ August 6, 2010
As Far as the comedy scenes yes; it had some funny moments, and serious drama scenes; yes some of the scenes had some feeling behind it. But honest it doesn't have enough of those elements to really make it seem like anything from american types or Romantic comedy. Unfunny, Unmoving but it had some soul. Just not enough of it.
October 17, 2004
I absolutely loved this movie