Nacho Libre Reviews

sanjurosamurai
January 18, 2007
mostly funny, very entertaining and quirky film. i understand the affinity many have for it, especially younger people who may have seen it in their teen years. i know my kids dig it, and watching it with them is always fun.
June 14, 2006
Jack Black is mostly his usual self as a cooking Mexican monk who dreams of becoming a pro wrestler and suddenly has a chance to go down that path while having to keep it a secret from the monastery. Which basically means, you get what you're expecting from such a film. The humor is hit and miss, with a couple of good laughs and as many awkward silences. Wrestling fans at least should have fun with the fights, even if a couple of them could have been much longer. Nothing big to write home about, but entertaining enough for fans of this humor who have nothing else to do on a rainy afternoon.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ May 17, 2012
Nacho Libre is a surprisingly decent comedy with Jack Black, whom I never really was a big fan of. This is a fun, whimsical comedy and is one of the better films with Jack Black. Nacho Libre is a decent flick with a few good laughs here and there, but is never anything great. What makes this film a slight misfire is the fact that Jack Black basically plays the same character he's been playing from the beginning of his career. The humor is good, better than I thought. Considering that this is Jack Black film, this is a pretty decent flick. I normally hate his stuff, but there's something about Nacho Libre that I enjoyed. This film is a decent comedy to watch with your family, and it delivers some laughs here and there. The film could have been better. The result is an entertaining comedy that delivers laughs, but you realize that something is missing from this film to truly create something memorable. Overall, this is a charming film that almost gets the job done. Nacho Libre is mindless fun from start to finish, and despite the fact that it's not perfect, it manages to be fun entertainment. The film is worth watching, and compared to other Jack Black films, it's better too. Though not perfect, this film is fun, and if you enjoy a mindless comedy, this is the perfect flick for you to watch. Definitely one of the better Jack Black films that I've seen.
December 2, 2011
Stupid film. I hate Jack Black with a passion. That's all.
August 22, 2011
Despite some poor moments Nacho Libre performs to the expected standard, with some moments that you just hate, and with others that you just love.

Directed by Jared Hess, famous for "Napoleon Dynamite, and also written by him along with Jerusha Hess and Mike White, the film is a strange one. A blend of characters that sometimes don't work and drive you to shout in anger or roll your eyes at them sometimes.

Jack Black plays himself as usual with the name of Ignacio or "Nacho Libre". He is a priest in Mexico who dreams of being a wrestler. The film accounts his attempt at achieving his dream.

Released as a summer blockbuster, it disappointed at the box office and not for any bad reason. This film is by far the best. The script is very poor and the cast supporting Black and Hector Jimenez, who plays his sidekick Esqueleto, don't live up to what they should have and disappoint.

However, despite the poor script there are moments in the film which drive you to hysterics. Jack Black playing himself as ever finds a way to make himself funny, even after the fiftieth film.

Although it is far from "Napoleon Dynamite" and also far from other films that Black has done, "Nacho Libre" is a good laugh, especially on a wet Wednesday afternoon when you're feeling a bit down.

*** 3 Star
michael e.
May 23, 2011
it has some funny moments but its just okay
May 21, 2011
Have hilarious scenes and is somewhat fun. The screenplay however don't made Nacho Libre, fresh.
½ March 14, 2011
"Sure to entertain the adolescents, however." Hell fucking yes.
January 17, 2011
Nacho Libre confirmed a long suspicion of mine, Jack Black is not funny.

Nacho Libre follows an unhappy Monk who dreams of being a Wrestler. Unfortunately I was left feeling that the film could have delivered so much more but like the character ended up falling flat on its face again and again.

The film definately carries the same feel as Hess's Napoleon Dynamite but kind of missed the point casting the over the top Jack Black in a role that should have been subtly played.

"Precious Father, why have you given me this desire to wrestle and then made me such a stinky warrior? "
YodaMasterJedi
April 1, 2007
three stars!!
December 13, 2008
Jack Black is lazy in his comedy, and it shows in this racist depiction of a somewhat wrestler in Mexico. Next they'll bring back Mickey Rooney from Breakfast at Tiffany's, make a ful llength movie, and call it "the funniest thing this year." No thank you.
½ August 22, 2010
I was expecting absolute zero from this movie, but I have to admit that I found some of it really funny. That is all attributed to the great Jack Black. You either like his performance in this movie or you find it to be annoying, either way, you cannot say the guy isn't committed. I loathe Napoleon Dynamite with all of my being, but this surprised with some funny set pieces (I don't know why, but the wrestling scenes had me rolling especially with the midget wrestlers). Again, when expecting nothing, you might find something.
jamers2011
August 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure this is one of the dumbest movies ever. It's so stupid I can't even laugh while watching it.
July 21, 2010
this movie is hilarious. B+
January 29, 2010
I cannot believe that I am giving this movie 3 stars! I want to give it 1, but it is soo ridiculous that I laugh at every scene, and just want to enjoy it every time!
½ September 29, 2009
A sweet and subtle comedy that is nearly perfect apart from some annoying Jack Blackisms.
TomBowler
August 2, 2009
off beat comedies are never given enough credit for what they achieve. jack black's vivacious and childlike spirit helps this film to be as good as it is.
Kyle F.
July 9, 2009
Nacho Libre is funny and original without having to try too hard to be so. Jack Black delivers his best performance yet. Bravo!
TheGame90
September 14, 2008
This fucking thing sucks. It's an embarasment to the sport of professional wrestling
Chiefilms
½ July 8, 2008
Critics panned it, I enjoyed this movie. Funnier throughout than Nap. Dynamite, great lines, perfect funny role for Jack Black.