Nancy Drew Reviews

July 12, 2008
A childish movie. Has all the normal Nancy Drew clichés, but does not transfer well to the 21st century.
December 17, 2007
A great film for intelligent pre-teen girls but anyone out of that audience range won't find much to like about this. Roberts gives a good performance, but I assume the source material is much richer and enthralling.
DreamExtractor
½ December 28, 2011
Nancy Drew is an embarassment to mystery films and may be fine for small girls, but not for me.
3niR
July 7, 2010
It's lame and boring. I liked reading the book version more.
ajaymuthecooldevils
February 18, 2007
Basically, I love a movie or a story about detective and the mystery they've been trying to solve.. For me, 'Nancy Drew' is nothing but just a usual teen movie that offers nothing special.. Even that, the performance from Emma Roberts as Nancy Drew pleased me.. She gave her best in this movie and I appreciate it.. The other cast did just okay, probably Max Theriot is the other one who steal the attention in this movie.. The story is just okay, but Emma Robert's performance was great and her fashion just made her looks great.. Overall, a usual teen movie that been played really well by Emma Roberts and turn out to be an interesting movie..
Simply Cinema
October 11, 2009
I was sick, it was a Sunday, it was on tv. Isn't really a guy movie, but you've probably already guessed that. To put it simply; it was far fetched, silly, and clitche. Plus, some parts of it were to harsh for little kids, yet there the only ones who would take this seriously. The only thing that this movie had to do with the books, is her name. But, I can see the marets if you were a 11-12 year old despirate for a movie on 'chick flick' night.
August 23, 2008
This film may be geared towards pre-teen girls but it's a lot of fun. Mainly because Emma Roberts is just so damn adorable. She's the cutest thing ever. She has a fairly good supporting cast, especially Danielle Monet who is just as great as Emma Roberts. Flitter is annoying as hell as he always is. He's a little fat kid and looks like a walking testicle. This kid is like a young Danny DeVito, but not cool. Thieriot is just plain boring, all the time, every line he delivers is bland and I doubt he even wants to be in this film. The adults such as Bostwick and Donovan are just right, they know they are in a film not aimed at them and they play their roles respectably. The investigation is fairly interesting, and it is nice to see some actual police work when so many other kids detective films rely on blind luck. A film that's Oh so cute and cuddly.
January 4, 2008
Cute, but not a lot to it. Emma Roberts does a good job as Nancy, but the story is pretty lame and the fashions are more interesting than the plot!
½ June 15, 2007
Not bad. Makes fun of the conventions of the book with some tongue-in-cheek humor. It's heavily modernized and gimmicky, but I somehow doubt that it really matters at all to its core demographic. The non-gimmicked moments, such as the throwback 1950's hometown, are witty and enjoyable.
movieguru12
April 5, 2008
Okay movie
deano
½ June 11, 2007
Emma Roberts does a wonderful performance as the title role in this family adventure, so charming and funny. Roberts follows her footstep in acting from her favourite aunt, Julia - so impressive for her debut title role.
½ February 23, 2013
Emma Roberts is Nancy Drew in this campy, lighthearted comedy. When her father takes her to California on a work trip, super-sleuth Nancy Drew uses the opportunity to investigate the case of a Hollywood starlet that died mysteriously. Roberts is brilliantly cast and gives a wonderful performance that's irresistibly charming. And, the way the film integrates an old-fashion mystery into a modern setting is especially well-done. Nancy Drew is a delightful and enchanting film that's good wholesome fun.
½ August 11, 2010
Perhaps, penny loafer-wearing detective Nancy Drew should concentrate on solving the mystery of why this latest adaptation of a near-classic piece of children?s literature was turned into a second-rate fish-out-of-water comedy. Rather than concentrating on making this movie a cunning period whodunit, the producers and screenwriter made a Brady Bunch-style decade clash (Drew?s dress and air remains primarily ?50s while the rest of the world has, well, progressed) the fulcrum of the story. This proves to be another example of Hollywood feeling it necessary to hinge the action off of a silly gimmick rather than rely on intelligent storytelling.

In this PG-rated modern update of Nancy Drew, the clever teen sleuth (Roberts) leaves River Heights for Los Angeles and gets a leg up on a decades old unsolved case involving a murdered Hollywood starlet.

Infuriatingly likeable, Roberts does a laudable job of carrying this dreadful material. No explanation is given, however, for why the sleuth she plays and her attorney father (Donovon)-both purportedly sharp cookies--obliviously continue to live in the past while time has obviously marched on. This hook simply does not work and, worse yet, was not necessary. Between Robert?s likeability and the overwhelming potential for a winsome children?s detective franchise to easily win over an audience, Nancy Drew truly missed the boat. A ?50s-set detective tale involving a 16 year-old girl proved to be a winning formula for decades. Why this simple but proven blueprint would not work in 2007, given the right whodunit and some skilled hands, truly remains a mystery.

Bottom line: More fish-out-of-water comedy than whip-smart mystery.
½ June 14, 2011
Interesting take on the book series, as Roberts portrays the perfect Nancy Drew, a daffodil reeking with old-fashioned feminism.
June 14, 2007
Wholesome without being preachy, enough to make up for tonal missteps.
June 13, 2007
Not horrible, nothing amazing. Some fun cameos and a whole bunch of big names. As far as kids movies go, it could have been worse.
½ November 19, 2008
I love Nancy Drew and I thought this was a cute movie.
John2223
½ July 7, 2007
Funny, pleasant, entertaining and well-acted mystery movie.
½ March 10, 2008
although this was not my choice of rental, i found this movie extremly dull and pointless, rachel leigh cook was the best in it.
½ June 14, 2007