Movies Like Nanny McPhee Returns

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Nanny McPhee Returns Reviews

Anthony L

February 14, 2014
Nanny Mcphee and the Big Bang (or Nanny Mcphee returns as it was unimaginatively called in the USA) is much like the first film, Mary Poppins with half the charm and none of the animation. A sweet film, the big selling point really is Nanny McPhee's rule; 'When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go' but like I said, Mary Poppins with half the charm. The fantasy element is actually wasted here, the time and location is unknown but it's basically England during WW2. I'm guessing they never divulge the exact date so no one can't point out the various continuity and historical inaccuracies. It shouldn't really matter in a kids film but somehow here it does. Enough now I think, the novelty is over.
Cynthia S

September 5, 2010
Cute. Nowhere near as good as the first.
3niR
3niR

August 21, 2010
Not as good as the first one. And how did she get hideous again? They should have left the movie at part one instead of making a boring sequel to it.
erika250
erika250

June 30, 2011
Nanny McPhee Returns (2010) is about a nanny that teaches some out of control kids some lesions.
Pros
Good plot
Some funny parts
Cons
Lacking acting
Some gross parts
Too childish.
As I said before I liked Mary Poppins better.
deano
deano

July 25, 2010
She may not be as charming and polished as Mary Poppins, but Nanny McPhee is every bit as needed and loved by those in her charge, even if they don't know it at first. This delightful follow-up to 2005 original sees Emma Thompson returning to the eponymous role, as well as screenwriting duties, but with the action fast-forwarded to WWII. It is a classic family fun.
Those in long pants, though, be warned, that this is a busy and picturesque picture that can't help but feel static and colour-by-numbers. It's seriously hampered by Maggie Gyllenhaal's pantomime performance. She appears to be trying super hard to either look enchanted or in need of smelling salts, and never clicks with the material. Rhys Ifans's approach is similarly head-smackingly, talk-to-himself cartoonish, but it at least suits his villain. Old-pro Thompson centres proceedings, and the kids are all terrific and will be first in line if they ever decide to reboot Harry Potter.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 25, 2010
Cast: Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Oscar Steer, Asa Butterfield, Lil Woods, Eros Vlahos, Rosie Taylor-Ritson, Daniel Mays, Rhys Ifans, Maggie Smith, Ralph Fiennes

Director: Susanna White

Summary: When Nanny McPhee (Emma Thompson) arrives at the Green farm, she uses her blend of magic and discipline to help frazzled Mrs. Green (Maggie Gyllenhaal) run things while her husband's off fighting in World War II -- and to help the Green kids deal with their nasty cousins. Soon motorcycles start flying and statues come alive as everyone learns important lessons.

My Thoughts: "Not very many sequels live up to the potential of the first, but that doesn't seem to be the case with this film. I think I may have enjoyed this one just a smidgen more then the first film. I liked that there was ties to the first film as well. There was only a handful of good kid films made last year, and this is one of them. The film also had a great supporting cast, including the great Maggie Smith. She was very funny in the film. My niece's and nephew loved the movie and had me replaying some scenes over and over just dying of laughter. So I am sure if you have little ones around they will enjoy this film, and luckily so will you. It's a great film for everyone."
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

July 28, 2010
A sequel from a family movie created by Emma Thompson in 2005 called 'Nanny McPhee'... Like the first movie which is suitable for the whole family, this sequel was also suitable to be watched by children with their parents... There aren't much differences from the first movie with this sequel because Nanny McPhee still have 5 lessons for the children to be learned... Emma Thompson write another story that enjoyable for the whole family to watch and I gave her a credit for that... With a new cast for the children's role and a big name like Maggie Gyllenhaal, Rhys Ifans, Maggie Smith, with a cameo from Ralph Fiennes and Ewan McGregor, this sequel become more interesting to be watched... Overall, the story of this movie is still enjoyable like the first movie and they have a great lessons to be taught for the children...
Mark H

July 25, 2010
Delightful family-oriented comedy has the titular nanny returning once again to assist a struggling mother with her mischievous children and their two cousins. Christianna Brand's Nurse Matilda character is adapted for a second time with satisfying, albeit conventional, results. The story is sweet and there's a mood of decency and goodness that graces the proceedings. Star Emma Thompson, who also wrote the screenplay, is enchanting as the Mary Poppins-like governess. Perhaps unexpected is how captivating the youthful cast is, particularly actor Eros Vlahos who suggests Little Lord Fauntleroy in his hilariously fussy portrayal as the city living Cyril. Wholesome fun for the young and the young at heart. Film named Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang everywhere but the U.S. and Canada.
Apeneck F

July 25, 2010
ms. thompson could do anything. she been artistically paired with every heavyweight in the brit pantheon and quite frequently beats them out of their tattered pants ... and then she chooses to update the british nanny-as-angel/mom tradition in her own good sense and free will, she wants to entertain children. hear, hear! a charming work.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 25, 2010
"When you need me but do not want me, then I will stay. When you want me but do not need me, then I have to go."

I liked it! i think the first one was better but this one certainly was entertaining!
The cast was amazing didnt know there were going to be some many big faces!
Maggie Gyllenhaal was actually really good and convincing as an english person, it was funny, light hearted and sweet! You cant help but enjoy this movie, it will really brighten up your day!!
It also sends out messages as well
i think its worth a watch only if you watch it the once it will make you feel happy!!
Sophie B

July 25, 2010
I wasn't so interested in seeing this film so I went into it not expecting much. I have to say that the narrative is pretty good and I loved the bit about the husband "dying" but actually being alive. I thought it was really emotional and a great twist. The thing that annoyed me about this is that as it's a sequel, everything needs to be bigger and better and they took the CG too far. It would be ok for a little bit like what they did in the first film however I think this was too much. It got past entertaining and just got boring. The cast worked really well together and Gyllenhaal did amazing. She held the cast together. Maggie Smith as Aggie from the previous film was really good and I didn't expect that at all. I wish that Fiennes had a bigger part however because his performance was perfect.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

December 2, 2011
Like many other children during World War II in London, Cyril(Eros Vlahos) and Celia Gray(Rosie-Taylor Ritson) are evacuated to the countryside. But they are dismayed when they are dropped off by their chaffeur(Daniel Mays) to find the farmhouse of their aunt, Isabel Green(Maggie Gyllenhaal), is almost literally a pigsty. To Isabel's credit, she thought they were arriving the following day. That's not to mention the three children(Oscar Steer, Asa Butterfield & Lil Woods) of hers she has to care for alone while her husband is away at war, helping out elderly Mrs. Docherty(Maggie Smith) at the general store, and most importantly keeping the farm afloat and out of the hands of her shifty brother-in-law, Phil(Rhys Ifans), who wants it to pay off his gambling debts. Enter Nanny McPhee(Emma Thompson, who also wrote the script) to the rescue.

"Nanny McPhee Returns" is the rare sequel that improves on the original by simultaneously de-emphasizing the grotestquerie while also having a much stronger plot. That's not to say the movie does not get off to an awkward start and is still unnecessarily crude. But once it does get going, it turns into quite the enjoyable movie where valuable lessons are learned by all and we get more insight into the many people Nanny McPhee has helped over the years. Plus, I also found where all my pens have been going.
Bradley T. Johnson
Bradley T. Johnson

August 21, 2010
A wonderful, simple, and adorable film with a great message, and a touching, and beautiful ending. Overall Rating:75
August Seria
August Seria

April 25, 2012
Surprisingly . . . It was very good. It was smart, the characters are all good and well acted and the family fun was very fresh and enchanting. And Another, in the cast, it should be Katy Brand, not Katy Perry so Rotten Tomatoes should change that.
ascordeiro108
ascordeiro108

December 28, 2010
It was a nice sequel, it began a bit slow, but the end was great. I certanly didn't expect Mrs. Docherty to be the baby from the first movie!! Also I have a soft spot for Asa Butterfield since I saw him in Tv Series Merlin, he's so cute, so this time I didn't find the kids a pain, even the cousins had a history of why they acted the way they did, which was an upgrade since in the first one there were 7 kids who misbehaved a lot, there was more background story in this one, which was great!

And ooh Ewan you were on like 5 minutes but it is always good to see you.
Nicolas K

September 8, 2010
If only I was a few decades younger I might have enjoyed it a bit more. Great cast, fine production, and a story with a moral. Ideal for kids younger than 10.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

July 25, 2010
Emma Thompson is a very strict and ugly nanny who brings order and manners to a household full of naughty children teaching them five important lessons; considerably improving her physical appearance as each lesson is learned. The mother, played by Maggie Gyllenhaal becomes burdened with looking after the family estate, along with her three boisterous kids and their two spoiled cousins when her husband (Ewan McGregor) goes to war. She feels obliged to sell the land to her scheming brother in law (Rhys Ifans), a slimy character who will not rest till he gets his way hoping against hope that her husband will soon return. Enter Nanny McPhee - a magical nanny who appears when a family needs her most employing the same supernatural technique of setting down her walking stick as she did in her previous adventure whenever things got out of hand.

After watching the first one, this seemed repetitive and the flying and synchronized swimming pigs were a bit much for me but the kids will enjoy it am sure.
David S

May 14, 2011
Or 'Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang' for those who prefer the proper title.

It's not as enjoyable as the first (probably because the novelty has worn off a bit and the story is very similar) and it relies a bit too much on the cgi (I'm looking at you, flying piglets!) but Thompson is still fun in the role and all of the excellent cast (this has more luvvies in than a Harry Potter film!) seem to be really enjoying themselves.

If the series is going to continue Thompson will have to make things a little harder for her character (banging her stick to solve all the problems becomes a little dull) but if it doesn't then both films are charming additions to the family film.
Sunil J

July 25, 2010
The Nanny McPhee movies are very simple and nothing remarkable but they have moments where they are perfection. Nothing especially unpredictable but the end of this one is very sweet and surprisingly heartfelt. Speckled throughout with Oscar winners and nominees.
Jason C

August 30, 2010
What started out as a direct to DVD quality movie became something better as it went on. Nanny McPhee Returns, or Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang as was released in the UK, was destined to not be as good as the first. It's just one of those things. The original Nanny McPhee was great, and it would be very hard to duplicate.

Manny McPhee Returns is approximately the same story as the original, but seems to be geared even more towards kids with a bunch of poop jokes and slapstick. Things I didn't find very funny were laughed at by the kids in the audience. The thing that made me actually like the movie was how, out of nowhere, I found that I was attached to the characters. I started out thinking it was too much a kids flick, what with all the simple jokes, and was just about to start paying half attention to the movie when it switched gears.

Emma Thompson is a wonderful actress. She's done so many things, and never fails to entertain me. Rhys Ifans, whom I usually love, stunk up the screen, and Maggie Gyllenhaal, one of my favorite actors, didn't provide much more entertainment initially. That all turned around (well, not Ifans' character) and, as I've stated, I ended up being attached to the characters. The kids are well cast, and all help make the movie better.

Susanna White makes her directorial debut in Nanny McPhee. It's a change from Kirk Jones, from the first Nanny McPhee, who hasn't really done much, but what he's done has been good. It would have been nice to see what Jones would have done with this material. It would have kept the movies more consistent. Mike Eley is a great director of photography. The scenery and camerawork were perfectly done to get all the visual points across well.

Nanny McPhee Returns is a fairly well done movie, and is a good children's movie. It's innocent and fun. If the third one is as good as this one, I won't be upset at all.