• PG, 1 hr. 26 min.

Napoleon Dynamite Reviews

garyX
garyX

June 10, 2007
Napoleon Dynamite is based on a series of skits that were showcased on MTV and feature a buck-toothed, slack-jawed high school nerd who lives in a fantasy world of his own construction. It's an affectionate parody of small town America in the "triumph of the geek" tradition in which the social outcasts find happiness and acceptance in the face of abuse and derision by their more popular peers. It's more gently amusing than laugh out loud funny as it's just a series of surreal skits revolving around Napoleon and his family's social awkwardness but it's a lot more likeable than most American comedies of this type because it avoids the usual formula of hateful middle class yobs and their bodily secretions amidst vile misogyny that has become the staple of the genre since American Pie sullied our screens. Quirky, silly, inoffensive fun.
Market Man
Market Man

October 14, 2012
There was a time when I couldn't go a day without seeing a few 'Vote For Pedro' shirts. Not only is this film so quotable, it's also hilarious and offers many memorable characters. Although, it is very bizarre and the humor may not appeal to everyone. But the originality of it makes it stand out over many other comedies. "Napoleon Dynamite" is destined to be remembered as a comedy classic and rightly so!
Lucas M

October 29, 2011
Strange, funny and rare comedy, Napoleon Dynamite present a deadpan humor with a very good screenplay and direction by Jared and Jerusha Hess, just like the acting of the cast, especially by Jon Heder in the title role and Aaron Ruell as Kip. Napoleon Dynamite it's the kind of film that you want see more, but a sequel gonna be just worse. Charming and delighful. Fresh.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

January 17, 2012
By no means perfect but not without it's charm. It's a very weird indie comedy that deserves it's cult status and doesn't beg the audience for laughs or resort to using gross humour. It's consistent enough with the comedy enough but Jon Heder's remarkable performance is what's pretty entertaining.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 5, 2010
One of those "so bad it's good" movies. Whether you like it or not, this movie has become a cult classic comedy. Unfortunately it also launched the career of Jon Heder.
Eric A

December 2, 2011
Still to this day, it boggles my mind how people think this film is good or funny. To see this film receive moderately good reviews disappoints me. I felt the whole lead-up and aftermath of this film was complete hype and stupidity. As you can tell I have nothing nice to say so I am just going to stop right here.
Scott G

October 29, 2011
I just couldn't see what everyone found so funny about it, it doesn't take a brainiac to figure out it's slacky, dull and very boring.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
I just didn't relate to the humour in this. It bored me after half an hour and I was finding myself ready to switch it off. I eventually did end up watching it all and I only laughed at one or two scenes. Nothing particularly exciting (I know this is the whole point of the film - as his life is 'crappy') but you're always going to need something exhilirating to keep the audience entertained. This film just didn't do anything for me, wouldn't reccomend it and it really doesn't live up to it's hype.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 27, 2011
Napoleon Dynamite is a cult clasdic, and one of my favorite comedies. There is no story or plot of any kind, but it just never seems to be boring. The cast is incredible, Jon Heders iconic performance is great. This movie is one of my favorite comedies, I completely loved it.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 8, 2011
Napoleon Dynamite is probably the most eccentric, bizarre comedy film that I've seen. What's great about this film is that it such a simple idea, yet the filmmakers manage to pull off something pretty good on screen. Sure there isn't anything phenomenal about the film, and no it's not the best comedy ever, but it's a lot of fun. The film is pretty funny, and the characters are zany and all. I liked some of the ideas thrown in the film. The time machine scene made laugh very hard, and another when Napoleon goes to pick up his date you see the low rider in the background and the girl's dad looks bewildered. This film isn't for everyone as the humor is quite bizarre and pretty weird. Napoleon Dynamite is a fun comedy that that has plenty of laughs mostly because of the idiocy of the characters, but that's the whole point of the film. This is not a film to take seriously whatsoever. This isn't a perfect comedy by any means, but it definitely is very entertaining, and fun. At times the film is slow, but it also keeps moving on nicely. The film is to the point and like I said, it's pretty weird and different. The film brings on good laughs, but it's a bit overrated too. I liked the premise of the film, and thought for a low budget film, it was pretty good, but it's far from a great comedy. The film is at least worth seeing at least once.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 24, 2008
So stupid it's funny!!!!!!!! I love it :)
Stuart B

October 2, 2006
A brilliant tale of what life must be like being a geek. One of my favourite movies of all time and one I can watch over and over again. Vote for Pedro!
Coxxie M

May 13, 2008
i love that on the recommendation list for this movie theres Saw 2. like i guess that means the guys at flixster want to vomit an equal amount if theyre watching Saw or Napolean Dynamite.
Conner R

January 27, 2011
No one can say they didn't laugh during this, it just got too popular for its own good. The movie thrives on being so incredibly dumb that it becomes funny. The sense of style is its strongest suit, with such a low budget it's pretty incredible. While this isn't a classic, it's definitely fun.
3niR
3niR

July 6, 2010
Gosh!
Alexander W

July 30, 2010
There are lots of very funny moments, and in contrast there are many moments you wished you had known about just so you could sit through them and keep your eyes closed. "Gosh!"
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

June 15, 2010
Such a funny movie! Napolean's one-liners always get me and all of the supporting actors really know how to act around a guy like Napolean. The movie is pretty silly and random but that's what makes it funny! I suggest you go out and rent Napolean Dynamite or check the TV Guide for the next time it's on Comedy Central!

"Do the chickens have large talons?"
Richard C

July 21, 2010
B
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

March 2, 2010
"He's out to prove he's got nothing to prove."

A listless and alienated teenager decides to help his new friend win the class presidency in their small western high school, while he must deal with his bizarre family life back home.

REVIEW
Hysterically funny high school comedy about the eponymous delusional nerd (Heder who comes across as the bastard son of Will Ferrell and Jerry Seinfeld) and his misadventures with his wimpy older brother Kip(Ruell), creepily living in 1982 state-of-mind Uncle Rico (Gries) with his hare-brained get-rich quick schemes, extreme living grandma (Martin) and his misfit buddies, the quiet sad-eyed Pedro (Ramirez) and photobug pony tailed girlfriend material Deb (Majorino) set in the endless plains of Preston, Idaho. Facing the daily hell of high school Napoleon daydreams and uses his creative 'skills' to full tilt despite the ridiculous odds stacked against his better judgment. Uproariously funny with some unique production design, costumes and hair-styles makes this microcosm of middle-America come to life with biting wit and style to filmmaker Jared Hess who co-scripted with his wife Jerusha echoes the likes of 'Election', 'Rushmore' and 'Welcome to the Dollhouse' yet is unique in that it allows its characters to boldly accept themselves for what they are and damn anyone who doesn't get it. Heder is a true comic fine in his weird vocal deliveries and ejaculations of 'Idiot!', 'Sweet!' and 'Dang!' and has a time-capsule moment at the film's climax involving the student council election; 'nuff said. A real sleeper comic ode to the dork in all of us.
Lewis C

June 21, 2007
Sure, everyone has seen it and it's been quoted to death. But it's still a funny, and oddly uplifting, movie. The first time I watched it, I started it over and immediately watched it again. Now, it may not have the same impact, but it's still a fun watch.