—— The Identical Sep 05

82% Satisfaction: Season 1
87% The Strain: Season 1
82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Naruto Movie 2: Gekijyouban Naruto daigekitotsu! Maboroshi no chiteiiseki dattebayo! Reviews

Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

March 6, 2013
A year ago I saw an animated movie based on a anime magna series name Naruto and much to my surprise I liked the film adaptation. Now I should go on record and say I'm not an anime fan, but if there is anything "Akira" has proven is if done right even the uninitiated can be drawn into it. This sequel however alienates those who are not familiar with the source material.

Naruto: Legend of the Stone of Gelel is about...I have no idea. I tired paying attention as much as I could but the plot kept loosing my interest. It had no real direction heavily being convoluted. The so called "twists" can be seen from a mile away. Things that appear to be important are poorly explained. Our main characters are annoying. Naruto is meant to be our hero, but he never stops shouting his lines. Then there is Sakura who for some reason is the only female ninja and does not have any special abilities. Seems odd that the guys can control sand, control people shadows, make clones, and one is a puppet master yet the only female character has no remarkable abilities. Hmm...could this movie undertone be saying that women are inferior? I wouldn't count it out since most of the villain henchman are women that are defeated easily by men. Well one evil henchman is defeated by Sakura, but only by being tricked into her death by sheer stupidity. While I'm on this subject the only female hero is a brat. That's her only character trait and is one dimensional without contributing anything major to the plot. Which also reminds me 95% percent of her dialogue has something to do with a guy. She also hardly acts on her behalf mostly taking orders from her male friends.

Back on topic after that unexpected detour. The film also does not explain to the regular movie viewer what happened before the events of the movie. Last time I remember there was a guy name Susake who accompanied Naruto on his journey. What happened to him? The only context the movie gives us is the two walked past each other in a empty field one time without any sort of social contact. Am I suppose to assume just because these two didn't talk to each other that one time that these two characters are no longer friends. I guess so since that's the closest that it comes to explaining Susake absent. While I'm still talking about fictional characters the new ones that are introduced are not developed. There is a guy who controls sand, but that all I know on him. There is a puppet master, but I know nothing on him nor how he controls his puppet without strings. Then there's Chicamaru who name I've most likely gotten wrong that I have no reason to care about. Who is he? How does he know Naruto? What's his back story? IT NEVER EXPLAINS!

Before I linger on this film too long the plot in general in not engaging in any way. We learn nothing on the characters of the story nor their motivations. There's little explaining on major plot points and even less time to flesh out any kind of back story. The ninja do have battle techniques know as "Plot Contrivances". These ninjas have master plot contrivances to the point where they all avoid death, over powered their enemies easily, and just so happen to be immune to any injury. The humor is too force making the characters more annoying than likable. The animation is a downgrade. I'm not suppose notice tiny details like a character hair color being less pink than in the last movie. I'm also not suppose to notice when the dubbing keeps talking when no mouth is moving. The characters movement is award and wonky. They look more like rag dolls than teenagers. The ninja battles are incredibly lame. It's the same thing over and over. Characters are either jumping around to much or one character stands in place while their opponent does an attack for them to counteract. They end too quickly. Last time I saw an Orca iced-whale attack nearly demolish a mountain, but nothing here is as cool. At least the voice acting is passable.

Naruto: Legend of the Stone of Gelel is not for non-fans of the series. The first Naruto film at least gives you enough information to care about the characters, know what's going on, and had animation to go with the action. This sequel does not work as a movie for it explains to little for non-fans, relies to heavily making stuff up along the way, and weak animation. This is strictly for the fans who might enjoy it, but for those are not fans this won't change your mind on the series.
April 3, 2012
I will preface this by saying I am not a fan of Anime so read my review with that in mind,. What was this about? I don't really know. I kept losing interest and would have to rewind to try and see what I missed. While the artwork is great the story is just so fantastical and unrealistic (even for Anime standards) that I feel asleep twice. From what I gathered Naruto is trying to stop a group who wants some sort of stone that will give them the power to build a Utopian society. Problem is the leader of the group is dishonest and wants the stone for his own selfish purposes. Again this might be inaccurate as it truly was boring enough to put me to sleep. However I did enjoy the voice acting of Junko Takeuchi who provided the voice of Naruto. The passion in which he delivered his lines is felt even if the movie was as bland as anything I have ever seen to this point.
TwilightDancer08
December 21, 2006
if i can find the english version...or if there is one then yes...if not then no b/c i hate reading sub titles
August 13, 2009
A more accomplished stand alone story than the first movie - but not as engaging and fun. Still Naruto has plenty to offer!
sakurawarrior
November 6, 2008
again a really big fan of the anime, i watched this movie and was completely satified and pretty happy. this was a really cool and kick ass movie.
RayOfSunshyne
April 22, 2009
I'm still a dork, but I really like the Naruto movies and the show. Out of the three Naruto movies, though, I thought this one was the best.
tinatian93
June 27, 2007
Ahhhh it soo good that i want so see it again..lol..maybe not..

It's soooooo good! no....its excellent!
roxasandnejiluver10
September 19, 2008
it was gud. i didnt get 2 watch bout 20 mins of it, but as far as i no it was gud. luv it wen naruto changes people in a gud way ^_^
Aaoki
February 12, 2007
OMG NARUTO!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally saw this one~~ and the other ones....... They were okay. I dont remember them all too much..... hehe.
wolf122girl
August 19, 2008
I loved it! There were some parts were you can't help but laugh. But then there were parts were you couldn't help but eather hold ur breath or cry.
steelshannon
September 9, 2007
this was a pretty good movie. i liked it a little better cause it had more characters from the series but i missed a few of the other characters. but still liked it!
babysmoke16
July 7, 2008
Naruto, Shikamaru, and Sakura are executing their mission of delivering a lost pet to a certain village. However, right in the midst of things, troops led by the mysterious knight, Temujin, attack them. In the violent battle, the three become separated. Temujin challenges Naruto to a fight and at the end of the fierce battle, both fall together from a high cliff. Furthermore, Shikamaru, having been left behind, beholds a giant moving fortress as it appears before his very eyes. In order to get a grasp on the situation, he infiltrates the fortress by himself, however once there he witnesses a frightening sight...
Animetori14
May 17, 2008
idk, i don't really know what i should say for this movie. it's really cool. (haven't really seen it *ha ha-**
chesca13321
January 6, 2008
i had to watch this in japanese with english subtitles...i barely payed attention. to distracted by my computer..still it was good!
kazunelover
November 10, 2007
Used to have it on my PC but a virus deleted it. Phft. But i watched it and loved every minute of it.
moviecultist
October 9, 2007
Very entertaining and well animated movie! Not to mention a whole lot of kickass from my personal favorite character: Gaara. Found Naruto's character to be a little dumber than usual (Is that even possible?)...but you still gotta love him. I really must bring up the excellent animation again. Brilliant and vibrantly crafted; the fight scenes are always eye candy (Especially Gaara's scenes ;-P). Great film everybody!
JustWriter2
September 26, 2007
It had an interesting plot. But it isn't as good as the series or the other Naruto films.

-JW`chan ^-^
HollowBrad
September 21, 2007
freaking awesome, i love the art directors work, he done several episodes of the anime as well (rock lee vs. garra ep)
rlvrookie
September 20, 2007
Ahh i own the Movie!!! Well it's all in Japanese but i got it subbed in English so it all good!!! LOVE IT!!
sharinganofchaos
September 7, 2007
the movie was absolutely awesome. i watched it on youtube b4 they took it off. had to read subtitles but it was one of the best i've seen