National Lampoon's Van Wilder - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Lampoon's Van Wilder Reviews

½ March 20, 2007
Ryan Reynolds carries this movie no doubt about it.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ April 3, 2013
Van Wilder is a decent little teen comedy with a fairly decent cast. Some of the plot has been recycled from better films, but it is mildly entertaining, but in the long run is a very forgettable film that is not worth rewatching or demands multiple viewing. National Lampoon's films by the early 2000's were becoming mediocre to decent, but Van Wilder isn't a bad film, it just isn't a good film either. I thought it had its moments, but never goes above what it should have been. If you're going into this film expecting another Animal House, you'll sadly be mistaken. The film boasts some laughs here and there, and Ryan Reynolds, who I find to be not too bad in terms of acting, makes the film quite enjoyable. There was plenty of room for improvement and considering that National Lampoon has some terrific comedies under their belt, the material could definitely be better. I think that Van Wilder leaves a lot to be desired and it could have been rewritten a few times in order to really make it a stand out feature. Walt Becker's direction is pretty good considering the so-so material. Expect to be mildly entertained by this one; however don't expect anything memorable as this one just doesn't hold like others like Animal House and Porky's. But it does provide decent comedic material even if it's not that good of a movie. Van Wilder is worth seeing once for what it's worth. The film does leave a lot to be desired and you are left wanting more out of the movie.
July 22, 2007
An unabashed attempt to resurrect the Animal House franchise ... w/o the huevos rancheros to do so. Meh.
Chiefilms
December 3, 2010
Flixter deletion? Not quite a classic, but Ryan Reynolds is in this role. Great plot and a lot of funny moments.
thmtsang
August 26, 2007
Ryan is popular in college and has the time of his life, but has he been kept back from graduating because he is afraid of the real world?
½ March 26, 2007
I really like Reynolds, sue me.
½ August 15, 2007
Quality gross-out comedy. Ryan Reynolds brings a lot of fun to the role of party man Van Wilder at his college house. I liked the laxative trick, but the doggie treat scene was too much to even think about.
½ June 11, 2007
One of the better recent teen comedies, bit gross at times but has plenty of laughs.
½ July 13, 2007
Hilarious. I loved it.
Beefy
April 25, 2007
Funny and gross, but the comic timing is off more than not.
December 27, 2006
Ok but not one I ever plan to watch again.
½ November 7, 2006
Nice.
½ September 4, 2006
Hilarious!
March 13, 2006
I guess this counts as the third funny movie franchise from National Lampoon's. 3 out of 200 aint a bad score.
April 10, 2007
Reynolds has an Affect me!
xxdebxx
½ November 30, 2010
Van Wilder is a young man in college who has been there for 7 years, He loves it so much there, that he purposely fails his classes just to stay and is not looking to graduate anytime soon. When his father decides not to pay his tuition anymore, Van will do anything to make money to pay for college, as well as win over the affections of Gwen (Tara Reid), a school newspaper reporter looking for a big story.

I'll admit, this movie tends to be a bit juvenile at times but it was hysterical watching Van learning about life and love and see him pull disgustingly humiliating pranks on annoying frat boys whose girlfriends you want to steal.

There are a couple of strong supporting characters in Teck Holmes' Hutch as Van's right-hand man and Kal Penn as Taj Mahal Badalandabad, a sex starved Indian exchange student whom Wilder hires as his `assistant.' Personally, I thought Tara Reid lacked, I didn't see her as an aspiring journalist but then again, I'm not her biggest fan (but she was good for the eye candy). At points the movie was very predictable, but it was HILARIOUS! There is the nasty bathroom humor, drunken humor, drug jokes, pretty naked coeds, parties, sex, gross sex talk, and Taj gets many of the best gags and one liners.
May 31, 2006
More gross out laughs on the menu, but this is saved thanks to an enigmatic performance from Ryan Reynolds. Mostly forgettable otherwise, but has its moments.
½ April 20, 2012
I'm not a big fan of anything that National Lampoon has had to offer, and "Van Wilder" is no exception at all. The creators of this film go from being raunchy to being just flat-out gross. The outcome isn't very pleasant.
January 3, 2008
Pretty dumb but you could tell Ryan Reynolds had some star quality to him.
John2223
October 30, 2007
"Van Wilder" is a fairly enjoyable gross-out comedy. Its worth a check if you're bored and need a few laughs.