62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

National Treasure: Book of Secrets Reviews

John M

May 4, 2008
A fun ride with lots of the same fun from the first movie. While lots of what happens in these movies stretches the imagination the cast does a very good job of pulling it all together.
Phil H

January 3, 2008
I'll be honest I can't remember the first very much but I did quite like this. The cast is very good for just a silly film, Jon Voight, Ed Harris, Harvey Keitel and Cage...impressive. The film is really a kind of filler for the absence of 'Indy 4' or any Indy films really, and lets be honest its nowhere near as good but it is fun. The story is silly as hell again, all revolving around the history of the US and its founding fathers.
The cast do make it seem greater than it is for sure, the film is also allot funnier than the first I think, its quite humorous throughout and this actually adds and doesn't detract from the film. All the action set pieces are not really any different from any other movie and the final sequence inside some caves near Mount Rushmore seems to be ripped straight out of 'The Goonies', but the whole boys mystery and adventure setup is always good fun and light hearted, harking back to older cinema romps in black and white.

These type of films do have a nice pleasant charm to them, no excessive violence or swearing just good old fashioned treasure hunting, just one thing, what on earth is happening to Nic Cages hair?
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 13, 2010
I hate that this film is the exact same film as the first, but it's still fun. A bit sillier at times and slightly more unbelievable, but still a fun ride. Although I have no desire to buy this DVD ever, anytime the movie comes on TV, I normally watch it simply because it's entertaining.
Emily A

November 25, 2011
Nicholas Cage + Jerry Bruckheimer = Peanut butter and jelly. But would you want to eat that as a staple of your diet? Me Neither. However, there comes a time when such a sandwich would hit the spot. I'm drunk and I'm watching National Treasure 2. It's silly, crazy bullshit, but dammit, I'm having fun. I bet children would love this movie and if ever I have any, I will be sure to pass this along.
Alexander D

September 6, 2011
With enough legal thrills (well, up to a certain level, considering this is targeted somewhat at younger audiences) to get you through, NATIONAL TREASURE 2: BOOK OF SECRETS, though not as good as its predecessor, and not even following along with the same plot, is a nice, easy thrill ride for the whole family.
thmtsang
thmtsang

January 6, 2008
This is the sequel to the first National Treasure movie. Ben's great great grandfather was implicated in the assassination of President Lincoln, so Ben (Cage) and his dad (Voight) set out to clear their family name. In doing so they globe trot, kidnap the present day president and discover the City of Gold in Mount Rushmore. Good original cast, as well as more stars like Ed Harris and Helen Mirren. Good cast and storyline. I can't wait until the next movie.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 5, 2011
This sequel surpasses the original. It had more exciting chase scenes. Its acting was average as usual. The plot was a major improvement, being even more historic and interesting. Overall I understand why it got negative reviews, but I liked it.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 26, 2011
Sequel to National Treasure is an entertaining sequel to National Treasure. I enjoyed this film and I view both films as a toned downed, Disney version of Indiana Jones. The film despite the characters perils is never really threatening and you know that because it was made by a family oriented film company, the violence will be toned down. Book Of Secrets is a fine film that really the whole family can enjoy. Yes, the film goes against History, and as a History buff myself, I couldn't help but shake my head many of it's inaccuracies. But in the end, its a film designed to entertain, and if you're a History Scholar, you're of course going to hate both films and all of it's Historical inaccuracies. But the film wasn't made for them. The film was made for the common filmgoer who likes to be entertained. At times, I don't focus on accuracy when it comes to films, and for both the National Treasure films, I threw it out the window despite noticing quite a bit of it. It's only a film after all. This sequel is very enjoyable, entertaining and fun. Nicholas Cage is an average talent, and he can either make a good film or a bad one, and in the case of the second installment, it's very much the case. If you can overcome its silliness, you'll enjoy this film. This is really a fun family oriented action adventure, and in the end; people should give it a chance because I've seen so much worse. I honestly enjoyed both films, and both deliver great thrills and action despite them being somewhat a ripoff of Indiana Jones. A terrific, fun ride for people of all ages.
Al S

November 3, 2007
It's better than the original. It's a spectacular and breathtaking adventure that's fast, thrilling and pulse-pounding all the way to the end. It's relentlessly exciting, wickedly funny and explosively entertaining. An awesome globe-hopping action-packed adventure. Great stunts and awesome chases. It's pure exhilarating fun. The entire cast is fantastic, they bring on the fun and energy that made the first one so great. It's filled with solid mystery, clever tricks and brilliant turns. A wild, enjoyable and unforgettable adrenaline-rush.
Emile T

June 2, 2008
Looks like they took the same fuckin' screenplay from the first one, and changed the name.

He kidnappes the president of the United States, and everything will be forgotten only if he proves his great great great grand-father was innocent ?
Bullshit.
3niR
3niR

December 13, 2010
This was pretty much same like the first one. But sadly, this couldn't beat that. The story seemed kinda ridiculous... well a bit I'd say. Especially kidnapping the president part was surely unacceptable. I did liked this. It was adventurous and funny (sometimes). And I laughed at that part where Riley was about to drive but got into wrong seat.
Anthony L

October 20, 2010
There is no excuse for this one, they had a chance to improve on what was a terrible film but they ended up making one that was even worse. They also managed to insult the British and French along the way, not to mention anyone with any knowledge of history or anyone with half a Brain. An example of American film making at its very worst!
vieras e

October 12, 2010
I wish "daring adventurer" wasn't synonymous with "destroyer of precious artefacts". I would enjoy films like these infinitely more if I didn't have to go "Now why did he have to do that for!" every twenty to thirty minutes.
Lewis C

January 3, 2010
"This is ridiculous."

If Helen Mirren says it, it must be true. National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets is indeed ridiculous. Even more so than its predecessor.

Ben Gates (Nicholas Cage, once again in a role that requires him to basically act like Nicholas Cage) is hot on the trail of another historical treasure, this time to clear the name of his great-grandfather, who's been implicated in the infamous assassination of President Lincoln. Don't try to figure out how those two things are connected, as the plot is just an excuse to keep the action speeding from one location to the next.

Book of Secrets follows the formula of the original movie extremely closely. There are once again hidden messages to be found on historical documents, centuries-old riddles that Ben puzzles out the answers to incredibly easily, high-security historical landmarks to waltz in and out of, and a villian that accompanies the protagonists underground for a finale based around a large action set-piece.

Riley and Abigail (Justin Bartha and Diane Kruger, both essentially just collecting a paycheck) are given nominal reasons to go treasure hunting with Ben again, and this time around he's also joined by his mother (Helen Mirren), as well as his father (Jon Voight). Mirren, Ed Harris as the antagonist, and the locations are the only real differences between the second movie and the first. Ben even finds himself once again being pursued by FBI Agent Sadusky (Harvey Keitel).

If the idea of a near-exact copy of the first movie turns you off, then I'd advise you to stay away. If you're up for more and can overlook the barely there plot and mammoth liberties taken with historical fact, then I say go for it. As for me, I don't mind switching my brain off again and watching Cage ponder ridiculous historical "facts" and Diane Kruger be hot for another two hours. National Treasure 2 is as entertaining as the first movie was, for better or for worse.
Richard C

July 21, 2010
B
Red L

July 1, 2010
I enjoyed this movie. Sure it was very similar to the first National Treasure, and it felt a bit like Da Vinci code -- where each clue lead to another clue. It is not too believable, and goes on for over two hours. I cannot imagine anyone kidnapping the president. But it is fine if you just sit back and not think too much.
garyX
garyX

June 18, 2007
When a missing page of Wilkes-Booth's diary turns up and implicates Ben Gates' great grandfather in the assassination of President Lincoln, yet another set of clues contained in historical relics sets him on the trail of a mythical golden city. The first National Treasure film was a servicable enough family orientated adventure and this sloppy, lazy sequel is pretty much just a drearily mechanical carbon copy. Once again the breathlessly episodic script leads Cage from one clue to another which makes it feel like watching someone else playing a Tomb Raider game and there are ridiculously contrived excuses to crash London taxis, break into Buckingham Palace and kidnap the president. Quite why an eminent historian couldn't just ASK to see these antiques is the biggest mystery in the film and the pretext of clearing his family name is weaker than Nicolas Cage's attempt at an English accent. By the time this joyless cash-in plodded towards its substandard Indiana Jones style finale it was obvious that the only monumental thing about it was the level of my boredom.
Leigh R

October 6, 2008
Defenitely not as good as the first, although it is to be expected. It was alright, just wish it would have given more.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
A slight improvement over the first national treasure, which is why I like this movie more than the first! It's a lot more fun!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

September 27, 2007
Not great and exciting as the first one, but very nice idea and going so far to kidnap the president. I wonder what was on the page 47?