42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Nativity Story Reviews

nlstabol
July 8, 2014
I believe that this movie did a good job explaining the journey of Mary and Joseph as explained in the Biblical Gospels of Matthew and Luke. The plot revolves around the journey of pregnant Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem. The journey is over 100 miles in a very rugged terrain, in order to register for a census as order by the current King Herod. The story begins during a time when King Herod fears that the prophecy of the Old Testament will come true and a Messiah will be born. Due to his fears of losing power, he orders all males under the age of two to be killed in the city of Bethlehem. This is the infamous massacre of innocents, as found in the Biblical Gospel. Meanwhile, in the oppressed town of Nazareth, young Mary is set to marry Joseph and receives a visit from the angel Gabriel and is told she has been chosen by God to bear his son and she will name him Jesus. This is also in the Biblical Gospels. Due to Joseph and Mary's parents having doubts that the pregnancy is an immaculate conception, an angel visits Joseph and basically confirms the facts and removes his doubts. This also occurs on a similar level in the Bible. After their journey and reaching Bethlehem, Mary goes into labor and because there is no room at the inn, they stay in a stable, where the wonderful birth of Jesus occurs. This is also similar to the Gospel stories and Biblical teachings of Christianity. Overall, this is a great story, minus some dramatization, and stays fairly close to the facts of the Biblical Gospels. I would recommend it and everyone who grew up learning the story of how Christ was born and the events that occurred around that time, will enjoy this film.
July 8, 2014
I know they took liberties with this movie according to the New Testament but it is a good story and I and my family liked it. I watch it occasionally because it is a good film!!
filmlover1994
April 23, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
tjv36ddgmailcom
April 14, 2014
The story line for the movie The Nativity Story is that of the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with my Bible in hand and movie still fresh in my mind I search for things that were not accurate. One thing I did find is that in the movie, after Mary was approached by the Angel Gabriel, she went home and told her parents that she was leaving the following morning to go stay with her cousin Elisabeth to help her with the children. She left the next morning with a family and traveled to Elisabeth's and found her outside working. In the book of Luke 1:36 states that when Mary spoke to the angel he told her of Elisabeth's pregnancy and that she was 6 months along, and called her one who was called barren. Elisabeth had no children for Mary to help with, only the one that she was carrying in her womb. In that same chapter Mary arose as soon as the angel had departed her and that she, "arose in these days and went into the hill country with haste, into the City of Juda: and entered the house of Zacharias and saluted Elisabeth" (Luke 1:38-40).
Another discrepancy is that in the Bible, Mary only stayed with Elisabeth for 3 months then she went home (Luke 1:56). Nothing states that Mary stayed for the birth. Also if she went home after 3 months she would not have been showing as much as what the movie portrayed.
Yet another discrepancy is the visit of the Maji (wisemen). The Bible has never put a number on how many went to see Jesus, all we know is that it was more than 1 as the work Maji is plural. Also they did not seek out the Lord Jesus until after his birth as that is when the Star showed them the way which is found in the book of Matthew 2:1-2. Also more proof that the Lord Jesus was not and infant is in Matthew 2:16 when Herod orders that all male children under the age of 2 years old be killed.
The way that this movie relates to world religions is that is the story of the birth of the Christian faith. Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior. For without Him there would be no Christian religion.
Works Cited
The Holy Bible. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 1996. Print.
April 14, 2014
daghan kulegecin parladigi film
mommaof5blessings
April 7, 2014
Plot Summary
The Nativity Story tells the story of Jesus' birth. Mary, whom is Jesus' mother, was forced by her father at a young age to marry a man named Joseph. Mary was not happy about marring Joseph, who she claimed was a man she barely knew. One day while Mary was alone and praying, an angel came upon her, and told her that she would conceive a child of the Lord and she shall name him Jesus'. Mary was then told that her own cousin Elizabeth had also conceived at her old age, bearing a great child of the Lord, who would be named John.
Mary decided to visit her cousin Elizabeth, and while she was gone she became noticeably pregnant. When Mary returned home her family and husband were shocked and upset. Mary told them of the angel that had come to her, and that she is still pure. Joseph spoke up and said that he would not accuse Mary of sinning against him, because Mary would then be stoned to death. It was then that night while Joseph was sleeping that an angel appeared to him in his dream and told him that his wife was still pure, and she was indeed caring the Lords child, whom they will name Jesus. The angel told Joseph that the child was sent to deliver his people of their suffering.
A few days later is when everyone was directed by King Harold for census purposes, to return to their birthplace with their family members. Mary and Joseph set out for their 100 mile journey to Bethlehem. Upon arriving to Bethlehem, Mary went into labor. Joseph found a manger and this is the place Jesus' was born. A star shinned brightly over the manger, and an angel appeared to all the people telling them of their new king that has been born, and that he was her to save them.
World Religion
The Nativity Story relates to world religion, by displaying many connections with Christianity. In Chapter 11, it tells us of the birth of Jesus', and how he was born to a virgin. The chapter tells us the Jesus' was sent to deliver his people from their sins against his father God. The movie tells of the birth of Jesus', and the reasoning of why he was born. The chapter explains to us that Jesus' was born as the human form of God. The movie also told us of this great child that was born to display all forms of God as a human. I believe that this movie displayed a great viewing of the journeys that Joseph and Mary faced to fulfill the prophecy given to them by God.
The movie also tells us of the prophetic figure John who was born to Mary's cousin Elizabeth. The movie tells us that John was also conceived by the Lord sending him to be birthed by Elizabeth. John is known in the chapter as, John the Baptist, he was sent to warn of God's imminent judgment, and John called all sinners to repent of their sins and to be baptized in water as a sign of spiritual cleansing.
adampike10gmailcom
April 1, 2014
Plot summary
This movie was about the life of Mary and Joseph, and how they lived their lives. This movie showed how Mary found out she was pregnant and was still a virgin and she was afraid no one would believe her and she prayed to asked God why her. Mary would tell everyone and first they wouldn't believe her but then they all found out she wasn't lying and she was going to give birth to the Messiah. Then it would show their trip to Jerusalem where she would have her baby and history was made. This was a very good movie that I would watch again.
World Religion
This movie was a great movie for Christianity because it really showed how everything happened. Just like last week's reading in the book about how Jesus the Messiah was born. This explains the story perfectly. The movie was right on when describing what happened during the time of Mary finding out she was pregnant. The way this movie depicts the scene is right on. This was a great movie and I would watch it again, as a Christian it was really great to see how things really were back then or how people think they were this was a great movie for me to watch.
Another reason this goes along so good with Christianity is the angel and how God's grace was shown in the movie. Back then if God spoke to you or an angel came to visit you that was a huge thing the movie showed how crazy that event is. The movie showed lots of Christianity in it and depicted the Nativity scene very well if anyone was really there I'm sure they would tell you this is exactly what happen and it looked just like it did in the movie. This movie was one of the best Christian movies I have ever seen. This movie is defiantly one I could watch two or three more times.
March 9, 2014
Keisha Castle Hughes and Oscar Isaac plays Mary and Joseph on their way to
Bethaham
February 17, 2014
This movie was a great depict of the Biblical story of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. The way the plot and movie played out and the stories that led up to the birth of Jesus were amazing. If you have never read the story in the Bible on the birth of Jesus, you can watch this movie and see the vivid picture of what the Bible is talking about. The real and factual depicts from the Bible and the accuracy of the movie is amazing. The fact that most movies do not focus on religion, and this film comes out is a great tribute to Christians, like me. This movie gets your engage, with the action and suspense of what happens next; definitely better than reading in my opinion. It is one of the greatest stories that could be told in the Bible, and the fact that you can see it in a movie, makes it even better. I did not know a lot of the story beside Mary and Joseph and Jesus was born in a manger with sheep and a donkey and the three wise men brought gold, incense, and mur to Mary for the birth of Jesus and that the wise men used the north star to find the birthplace of Jesus Christ. I did not know about Zechariah and his wife Elisabeth was cousins to Mary, and they were pregnant at the same time. I did not know that King Heron was so paranoid about the prophecy coming true that he killed every boy child under the age of three, just so he could continue to rule. This movie is exhilarating and gives the words in the Bible a vivid picture to go along with it. I would recommend this movie to anyone who wants to understand the nativity story in depth.
jhinton5
February 17, 2014
December 29, 2013
It's not Mel Gibson's Passion Of The Christ but it's a nice little movie with a good story done in an interesting way. Like i said it's no classic but it's a nice film probably re aimed towards children than adults, but it's a decent entertainment.
December 27, 2013
I loved the way they depicted the period. So realistic.
December 24, 2013
I have watched this movie every year now since it appeared in the theater, and every year I am struck by the unique delivery of the most familiar of stories.
This production has been able to present the story of the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ in the most natural way imaginable.
I have read reviews that dismissed this film as a demotion "of the first chapter of the Greatest Story Ever Told into a mild yarn." Well, with all due respects to the authors of such reviews I can only say - Its about time! It saddens me that America has shrunk into a biblically illiterate nation and some feel the need to dismiss and belittle scripture in every venue simply, it seems, because its scripture.
The Nativity Story has managed to bring hamanity into the film version of Christ's birth that is sadly lacking in Cecil B. DeMille style PRODUCTIONS. The fact is, this is the story of God becoming man in the most humble of ways. I could never identify with the stiff, mannequin "acting" style where each word from scripture is DECLARED FROM THE DIAPHRAGM WHILE GAZING OUT INTO SPACE.
I have a couple of minor disappointments, but nothing that I would mention here in the hope of avoiding distracting a viewer with my imaginary armchair expectations.
All I really want to say is, This is a very good movie... WATCH IT.
November 24, 2013
The Nativity Story is a wonderful movie. Telling the story of Mary and Joseph and the problems they had to endure being chosen to fulfill their Prophecy by God. God chose virgin Mary to give birth to God's son (Jesus). He entrusted her to keep him safe although no one believed that she conceived the child without betraying Joseph. The village despised her being pregnant while being sworn to marry Joseph. Marriage back then was to swear to marry that person and to be celibate for a year. The village believed she broke that vow. However an angel spoke to Joseph in his sleep and told him Mary was honest and true to him and to believe in him like Mary did and protect this child. Meanwhile, the King was trying to find this prophet and kill him so he wouldn't lose power. He would tell his army to go out and kill all the baby boys they could find jumping village to village. The king told all villagers to go back to where they were born as a census, forcing Joseph and Mary to travel to Bethlehem. They barely made the journey in time for Mary to bring Jesus into the world. The three wise men followed the stars to the Holy child bringing gifts and knowledge with them.

This movie shows the love of God and the Christian belief in that love. Showing how it all started, Gods plan was put in effect with placing Jesus in the virgin womb of Mary. God always has a plan and as long as you believe in him he will not leave you. Mary and Joseph shows how they put their faith in him and went through unbelievable tasks to keep his son alive. Through their journey they met wonderful people on the way to help them get through the treacherous trail. Christianity shows that with God you can get through anything, he will put people in your path for that reason. A great movie of a great Christian story. The story of the way Jesus was born.
hmrobers
November 24, 2013
This movie shows a great depiction of the events prior to the birth of Jesus and the moments of his birth. The movie covers the stories from the Bible that exist in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. One of the great things about this movie is its ability to depict the time frame of Jesus' birth and depict it with pretty close accuracy.
The beginning of the movie starts off by showing Mary and Joseph being betrothed to each other. It shows the angel coming to Mary and speaking of her pregnancy and that she was carrying the son of God. The movie also shows the angel coming to Joseph and explaining to him that he should still take Mary as his wife. This movie shows the struggles that Mary encounters from her being pregnant before her and Joseph are officially together.
The movie also follows Mary and Joseph into Bethlehem, the birth place of Joseph, which is where they must go for the census. One of the great things about the movie is that it follows their journey and shows that it was not an easy trip for Joseph to make with his pregnant wife. The conditions of the weather and the road they had to take definitely show this as being a difficult journey and not the easy one many people picture in their minds.
I have to say that this movie does follow closely with the teachings in the Bible. From my studies in my World Religions class, it is safe to say this movie tried to follow the event as closely as possible to the truth. The movie shows the hardships that would have occurred, as well as the miracle of the birth. It also does a good job of defining Mary and Joseph as special people that were chosen to take on this task. Overall, this movie did a very good job of capturing the biblical story of Jesus' birth.
November 24, 2013
The Nativity Story from is an amazing story of the nativity of Jesus. In the beginning Herod takes the thrown as King. The Romans come to Nazareth and force the Nazareth's to pay their taxes. †The people learn of the Messiah's coming. The beginning of this phenomenal story starts with a love that could never die with two young souls; Mary and Joseph. Mary was conceived by the Virgin Mary, when at first Joseph did not believe Mary but a voice came to Joseph and Mary and told them they would be the parents of the Messiah. The people from the village did not believe Mary and Joseph and doubted their statements. On Christmas night Mary gave birth to what we now know as the Lord Jesus Christ. In a manger most defiantly not fit for a king, the people and wise men brought gifts at the foot of Mary and Joseph for Jesus. Jesus grew and taught his people about the love of God.† Jesus was faced with a many of challenges as his journey to teach the world about God continued. This movie moves right along with the word in the Bible. The birth of Jesus was a story that moves many people's lives to understand the reason for our love in this Holiday season. Jesus is the reason we have eternal life and love for one another. Being a Christian I cherish this story very much. Many people have reenacted the story of Jesus' birth. But this is by far my favorite one that has been made. I would recommend this story to anyone, especially one who is seeking to learn about the birth of Jesus Christ and the way his life has impacted Christians in the world. Very great movie and a very great story
janellecook1
November 23, 2013
A wonderful movie telling the story of the young Mary (mother of Jesus) her families trials and tribulations and her struggles leading up to the birth of Jesus and days after his arrival. Her family was among the poor and the King's men came to collect taxes, taking what little her father had. He agreed to an arranged marriage between Mary and Joseph, setting the beginning of the beautiful birth of Jesus. Right after her wedding, waiting a year to consummate the vows, Mary was visited by an angel that told Mary she would carry the son of God and name him Jesus. Explaining to the angel that this was not possible given her lack of consummating her marriage, the angel asked again and told Mary that it would be worth the troubles, for God had called upon her. She visited her cousin away from her family during the majority of her pregnancy, upon return her family and her village, along with her husband, were all in shock, none believing her story of the angel but all believing she was unfaithful to her new husband. The angel came to her husband, sharing with him the truth of the baby and allowing his understanding of Mary's pregnancy. The Census sent Mary and Joseph on a journey to Bethlehem. On their journey they crossed many of people, including the King in Jerusalem. Barely making it to Bethlehem Mary gave birth in a barn (manger). They had to depart, running from the King who was in search of the one who would take over his ruling (Jesus).

This movie is a great portrayal of the classic Christian story of Mary, Joseph and Jesus. The one and only Son of the Lord. Christians know Jesus as their savior, the one who God gave to die for the Sins of all people. The movie shows the greed and power of the King of Jerusalem, Showing the journey of the 3 Wise Men that brought the gifts to the savior, the Shepard that helped Mary stay warm, the struggles of Mary and Joseph and their commitment to God, and the son of the Lord. A wonderful story of the reason for and the birth of Jesus.
bnur769
November 19, 2013
The story is a drama about Joseph and Mary beginning their life together with the son named Jesus. It did show how things happen years ago involving people fighting over land, the men looking for the star they was following. The way they lived, so many people was in one family. It became crowed when they stayed in the hut at the village. The father gave his daughter away to Joseph for marriage, this is something that was done back in these days.
The movie relate Christ, the birth of Jesus and the way he was born into the world. To follow the star, which was seen and this was the waiting time for God's king when Jesus was born. All of this involve people religion today about God.The bible does mention how Jesus was born. Watching the movie gave a better understanding of his birth. It was said that "John, son would be the prophet" and stand on the sacred mountain to be held'.
Mary had a hard time understanding at first, why her mother and father was trying to marry her so young and fast to a man she hardly knew. She didn't love this man and was confused and upset by this. The parents did explain to her abut this marriage. They felt it was time for her, the family had too many people and was crowded. Mary left and went for a walk, the angel came to speak to Mary. She was told by the angel that she will conceived a son named Jesus. It was a shock to her because she haven't been with a man. Mary wanted to leave to visit her cousin Elizabeth for awhile, she will return to Joseph when she get back. Elizabeth was an older woman and was also carrying a child. They were so happy to see each other and both was pregnant at the same time. they shared the experience of the bay moving and were so exited. Now it was time for Elizabeth to give birth to a baby boy. After Mary visit she return to home with her husband. She had to tell her family about the baby she was carrying. They were not happy to hear the news and didn't believe her at first about the angel talking to her. Joseph was really hurt and knew the child wasn't his. How was he going to explain this to people. He decided to go through with it. Later it was time for Joseph and Mary to leave. They left for the long journey and had breaks in between to rest. Mary finally was ready to give birth to their son name Jesus. The men that was on their journey to follow the star, eventually did see the star when Jesus was born. The men all gave a gift to Jesus after reaching the destination and made a promise not to tell anyone about this, just keep it to themselves.
November 17, 2013
Mary goes to live with her cousin Elizabeth whom she witnesses give birth to the child who will become John the Baptist. Soon she learns that she is to give birth to Jesus from an angel. Jesus was born in Bethlehem to Mary who was a virgin and Joseph who was a carpenter. He was born in an innkeepers stable and was visited by three wise men who were sent by king Herod to tell of the child's location because Herod had heard a king of the Jews was to be born but the wise men listened to the angel and betrayed Herod. Herod soon found out and had all the baby boys who were two years of age or younger killed. Joseph is warned of Herod's genocide and flees with Mary and Jesus.
This movie struck me as slightly rushed in a way. Perhaps it was because of the way they only told a very brief portion of what we know of Jesus' life. I was very impressed with the actress who played Elizabeth as well as Mary. There was an obvious but inoffensive racial inconsistency to the story as some characters were white or black rather than Middle Eastern as is the best guess for Jesus' ethnicity. Also much of the dialogue was different obviously for the purpose of creating the movie to be full length and also to further explain the dynamics working within the film. I liked the three wise men that added a bit of lightheartedness to the film in the beginning but also were essential in explaining the prophecy behind the birth of Christ. The birth scenes suffered minor inaccuracies such as time elapsed for labor and signs of distress and pregnancy. Mary and Elizabeth didn't quite look pregnant though I think the creators hoped the layers of clothing would distract from that. King Herod's Murdering of the innocents did hit a sore spot for me as it was difficult to watch as I'm sure it was also difficult to act. When Mary and Joseph fled from Herod, I appreciated the very Roman look about the men sent to kill the children, it helped remind the audience that this was part of Roman territory and help put the story back in context.
pothompson
November 17, 2013
The movie begins with the portrayal of the Massacre of the Innocents. The remainder of the movie portrays the conception and birth of Jesus Christ to explain why King Herod ordered the murder. Teenage Mary, is to marry Joseph and is spoken to by God and told that she is to deliver His child and call him Jesus. Mary then goes to stay with her cousin Elizabeth for the harvest, when she witnesses the birth of John the Baptist to Elizabeth, who is past child bearing age, and her husband Zachariah. Mary returns from the visit pregnant, to the shock of Joseph and her parents. Mary is accused of fornication, for which, if she is found guilty, she could be stoned to death in a public execution. At first Joseph does not believe Mary's explanation that she was visited by an angel, and that she has not broken her vow of chastity. He plans to quietly divorce her, but before he could act on his plan, he is visited by the very same angel. Joseph then believes Mary, and promises to stay by her side. Caesar Augustus has demanded that every man and his family must return to his place of birth for the census, for Joseph as a direct descendant of King David. When they reach Bethlehem, Mary goes into labor. Joseph frantically seeks a place for the two to stay, but there is no room in any inn or home in part to the census. At the last minute, an innkeeper offers his stable for shelter where Mary then gives birth to baby Jesus. After watching the movie it never fails me to wonder why people put the wise men there where Jesus was born when the Bible is very clear in stating Jesus was in a house when they found him as Matthew 2:10,11 clearly states. "On seeing the star they rejoiced very much indeed. 11 And when they went into the house they saw the young child with Mary its mother, and, falling down, they did obeisance to it. They also opened their treasures and presented it with gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh." Other than that the filmmakers were almost very accurate. Interestingly, that made the dialogue slightly less interesting, because the Bible words needed a fresher translation in the film. Nonetheless, it is a movie I strongly recommend.