Necessary Roughness Reviews

August 29, 2007 this an episode of 'Quantum Leap' following the constant adventures of 'Sam Beckett'?. No?! well it sure as hell seems like it as the ever cuddly Scott Bakula portrays the same character he's always ever portrayed with the exact same haircut too...geez dude!. So lets not beat around the bush here, this is the late in the day 'Major League' clone that shamelessly rips every cliched idea from that film whilst attempting to look all innocent by turning it into a college football flick.

The plot is different of course, but end of the day it still involves a coach and his assistant trying to muster together a half decent team which ultimately ends up being a bunch of misfits, freaks, girls and Scott Bakula. From there on we get all the regular sports cliches and predictable fluff such as the team losing all the time, losing faith in their coach, a soppy romance, a rival team of assholes, the resurgence of the team and one man behind the scenes taking joy in the teams failure and trying to amplify it.

I think the problem with this film other than the fact its a lame clone, is they simply haven't created any fun characters to follow or care about. As I've already said Bakula plays the same character he always does, then you have a bloke who thinks he's a samurai warrior, the nerdy guy with specs, a huge Samoan guy, an Aussie?! (why would an Aussie be there?), a black guy who can't catch, a ex-military obsessed bloke, a female kicker and finally the hilarious comedian Sinbad...add sarcastic quips here. There are of course other faceless jock meathead players also.

Hell to even make sure they copied every single aspect of 'Major League' they even have a light-hearted announcer for the games...and its Rob Schneider! oh the quality. I really shouldn't keep going on about the similarities but its impossible not too! just look at the films poster, its identical in every way! unbelievable!.

The only big change in this film is the team doesn't actually win any league or championship in the end, they lose a load, tie a game and their final game of the season they manage to beat the top team but that's it. They presumably still end up near the bottom of their group or league, so we don't get the obligatory montage of wins when they turn their game around. What we do get is a sickly bit of crap when their coach goes into hospital of a suspected heart attack just in time for the final big game against the top team. We then get a vomit inducing scene where second in command Loggia tells the team to go and win it for the coach, possibly his last wish on Earth. Personally I thought this was all a set up to get the team to play well, or at least Loggia's character was exaggerating the illness and the coaches last words on purpose. Nope it was all for real, the illness isn't as bad as suspected, but the shitty cliched corny attempt at a rousing emotional scene was indeed for real.

This really is a prime example of an early 90's straight to the videoshop piece of turd trying to leech off the success of another earlier franchise. There are literately no redeeming features anywhere I can think of, its not funny, its not cheeky or rude as suggested by the poster, you have no interest in any characters, even the game sequences aren't very good or exciting...its just poorly made trash that didn't need to be made.
½ April 23, 2012
Necessary Roughness is a mildly entertaining comedy. This is not the type of film that is hysterically funny, but more mildly funny. There are a few chuckles here and there, but never anything hilarious. There's a decent cast here and they make the film work well. Though not a great comedy, Necessary Roughness is far from the worst. For the most part, I enjoyed the film, though it was a fairly decent film, and a decent attempt at a football comedy. I thought that the film was lots of fun despite the fact that it didn't have any memorable funny moments. This is purely a mindless film to watch. The film has nothing really hilarious, but it definitely is fun to watch. The film does have amusing bits here and there, and though it has been regarded as one of the worst sports comedies in the history of sports, I don't believe that to be true. I considering the film Slap Shot 2: Breaking the Ice to be the worst film, and not Necessary Roughness. This film does have plenty effective, fun moments to make it an enjoyable film. However they could have done a better job as well. The script could have gone through a rewrite to boost up the decent comedic elements. This a mindless decent comedy with a few decent laughs throughout. Although not the best sports comedy, this is far from the worst. Although I enjoyed this film, I think that best Football comedy has yet to be made. For what it is, Necessary Roughness is mindless fun despite its flaws.
May 17, 2007
A fairly run of the mill sports movie with all the cliches in place, but Bakula and Elizondo are always very likeable.
January 22, 2007
pretty good flick, kathy ireland in her prime
October 5, 2006
Good comedy with a college in a terrible football team. Model Kathy Ireland's cool for kicking one of other team's player's balls. Opps!
½ December 25, 2007
April 21, 2010
What can I say? As a young man who liked Kathy Ireland, I enjoyed this movie. Past that though its a fun flick.
½ February 6, 2010
Not a great movie, but one to watch if you like football...which I do. Old quarterback goes to college that's rebuilding its football team, falls in love with a prof, gives the team some pride. I've seen this several times and always enjoyed it.
December 17, 2009
Amicable college football comedy, nothing great but it is fun and enjoyable to watch, and it has a great cast. Decent writing, but it is pretty routine. Nicely directed. Amusing.
October 21, 2008
Never seen it untill today. Probably the best football comedy Ive seen. Now I feel like The Replacements and The Longest Yard (Remake), were cheap rip-offs. I love Sinbad, and young Jason Bateman is pretty cool. And Kathy Ireland is smokin! I cant believe how well the Quantum Leap guy pulled off the QB role. I definately want to see this movie again. I only saw the TV version! - Q
½ December 2, 2006
A chazzer/cock-a-roach... Quantum Leap... Sinbad... and Denise Richards... WOW. - "NOT A GOD DAMN THING'S been working for us! Like this goddamn suit doesn't work for me!... and this stinking tie!... and this goddamned shirt! IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY WINNING HARD-NOSED FOOTBALL? YOU PLAY FOOTBALL LIKE ED GENERRO PLAYED FOOTBALL! A guy who gave his life for this football team! He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A GODDAMN WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A GODDAMN RAMPAGING BEAST!! And that's the way you got to do it! YOU GO OUT THERE! YOU TEAR THEIR FUCKING HEADS OFF, AND YOU SHIT DOWN THEIR NECKS!!... ... Let us pray."
½ June 12, 2007
Very formulaic, there's no new ground being broken here plot-wise, but Necessary Roughness still succeeds as a very entertaining sports comedy, with some good comedic situations, quite a few solid one-liners, and good showings by, among others, Scott Bakula and Rob Schneider (before he wore out his welcome).
June 8, 2007
Maybe the funniest football movie ever made. Has some great moments, including the exhibition game with the prison team.
March 14, 2007
I loved this movie when it came out and I was 9 years old. Scott Bakula, Sinbad, and that model, cant think of her name.
½ January 11, 2007
Before the movie THE REPLACEMENTS, there was NECESSARY ROUGHNESS, which is a very cool college football movie. Scott Bakula, for the TV series QUANTOM LEAP, gives out a great performance as a washed out football player. Must see movie!
April 1, 2015
Not a necessary movie.
May 3, 2014
Some of the most classic characters came from that movie... & Schneider was hilarious as the announcer! lmbo
April 7, 2014
Ok movie. Not a very good one, but with some good performances and funny moments, it's watchable once, and maybe bits and pieces while doing something else when nothing else on.
September 14, 2013
Cute comedy, but also makes a point that should be taken to heart. As happens in public high schools, sports teams in college should come from the regular students bodies, not specifically recruited athletes who get scholarships for playing and easy courses to skate through as long as they deliver wins. These teams don't really represent their schools and take scholarships away from the intellectually gifted students who deserve them. The European system is better, but if sports teams are associated with American colleges and universities, they should really represent their student bodies, not be a training program for the NFL.
½ July 25, 2013
Great Sports movie. Very Funny.