42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

41% Working the Engels: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Never Back Down Reviews

July 29, 2014
I don't get the bad reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed it and im not into fighting movies, was just out of curiosity.
July 24, 2014
Never back down is incredibly corny and cliched however its a guilty pleasure as I cannot help but enjoy it. Its lively and a little daft, whats not to like. There are some cringeworthy moments following a not so rags to riches moment in a hollywood high school clearly aimed at young lads, yet they're forgivable. Acting is actually above par here and the action is hard hitting. This movie is not anything special but it tries, and for all its effort it is average but worth your time.
July 15, 2014
Enjoyable despite being almost totally unbelievable.
luccav78
July 15, 2014
This storyline had the potential to be a hit, however all this potential glory was butchered when the worst actors and actresses alive on this planet were shoved into the movie along with the most cheesy and clichéd script ever written. Since when do high schoolers look like they are in their mid to late 20s??
July 9, 2014
One of those good lazy afternoon movies.
ShakenNotStirred007
September 22, 2012
Very simple, but an enjoyable story I can relate to somewhat.
January 4, 2013
Putrid, ugly, exasperating, moronic, cataclysmically repulsive, insufferably boring, terribly written, terribly acted, morally reprehensible and completely rotten to the core, Never Back Down might just be one of the worst films ever made. It is one of those films that is all about trite clichés, and such films can often be made very well, but Never Back Down is so lazily made that you can almost hear director Jeff Wadlow yawning in the background. The film's message is old and familiar: if you're a boring nobody who is constantly bullied by tough guys, don't ever tell about those problems to anyone, because you can start studying martial arts instead and beat up the tough guys, after which everyone respects you and even get to date a hot chick! Yuck. The acting is laughably bad across the board, with Sean Faris and Cam Gigandet delivering the most charmless and bland performances you'll ever see. Amber Heard is very pretty (which is the only positive thing you can say about the film), but she's awful as well, and even Djimon Hounsou, the only qualified actor here, is completely wasted in a clownish role. I don't think even the most die-hard fans of mixed martial arts get anything out of this piece of shit other than a bad temper. Never Back Down is a film that I not only utterly loathe, it's a film that I disdain.
Film Fanatic
April 27, 2014
55%
Stocked with entertaining fight sequences and a great performance from Djimon Hounsou, Never Back Down is bound to be brilliant. But unfortunately its cliched script and cookie-cutter characters are a distraction from all the positives that can be found in this fight movie.
Connor S.
April 20, 2014
If you want a completely generic movie with no redeeming or original ideas, watch this. The plot is about a generic teenager moving to a generic city and goes to a generic school and likes a generic girl and gets in a fight with a generic bad guy with a generic friend that helps him generically beat the bad guy. This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen, Never Back Down is just so unoriginal that it's extremely boring to watch. The fighting is pretty well done, but that can't make up for no character development, awful dialogue, and every cliché imaginable.
July 15, 2012
Great Music, Inspiring Script, All Around Attractive people, Great movie
Evans Scholar Speedy
April 12, 2014
Thanks to TV and movies, Beach Resort paradises seem like a very weird place. People seem so consumed by the next big thing that what is popular in the community depends on the cultural zeitgeist. Never Back Down sought to modernize the underdog sports movie with the sport of the moment (mixed martial arts [MMA]) with the medium of the moment (viral videos). Never Back Down never quite achieves maximum liftoff due to plot contrivances and severe logic flaws, but it does provide a nice time capsule of what the social elite was like in 2008. And abs. Chiseled, terrifying abs.

The story stars in Iowa. Jake Tyler (Sean Faris) is one of the stars of his football team, but a brief fit of rage ends his football career. To support his aspiring tennis star brother (Wyatt Smith), Jake departs to sunny Orlando. His football brawl draws the eye of local MMA king of the hill Ryan (Cam Gigandet). Ryan uses his beautiful girlfriend Baja (Amber Heard) to lure Jake to a party so Ryan can beat him up. After the beat down, Jake uses new best friend Max Cooperman (Evan Peters) to set him up with Jean Roqua (Djimon Hounsou), the best MMA teacher out there. Through training, Jake learns how to channel and control his anger into the fight and out of his life so he never has to worry about backing down again.

Never Back Down deserves credit for being one of the earliest adopters of using viral video to spread someone's reputation. YouTube has become so prevalent in society today that we take for granted how new it actually is (it was created in 2005). Never Back Down has tremendous foresight on personal videos and self-promotion that has become commonplace today. Now, not every girl would be IMMEDIATELY turned on by a guy who beat up someone on a football field, but the insta-status change is well explored by Never Back Down.

If only logic would step in. With all the fighting Jake does, not once does anyone suggest he go to therapy, not even his mom (Leslie Hope). If I were in the Florida Police Department, I would be furious with Never Back Down. Several fights with evidence all over the internet attract zero investigations. At one point, one character gets viciously beaten, and the cops/parents/guardians are nowhere to be found. A simple police phone call would put several characters behind bars, thus semi-ruining the final fight between Ryan and Jake. What tips Never Back Down in the fundamentally flawed direction is the conflicting morality. Several of Jake's closes confidants urge him to not fight Ryan, but Jake insists that fighting him will stop Ryan from attacking people Jake loves. Never Back Down is obsessed with self-image; if Never Back Down boldly chose to humiliate Ryan and tarnish his reputation, the story would have taken a nice arc from Jake's violent teen to thoughtful young adult. Instead, after Ryan hurts several people and the fight is over, the beef is also over. Never Back Down implies that Jake and Ryan can be friends after they proved themselves in the ring, but why would you choose to respect a vicious sadist like Ryan? I doubt the macho men in Never Back Down really thought about it.

Acting is certainly not why you go to see Never Back Down. However, Djimon Hounsou captures intensity better than most actors in the business. He gives the mentor role a nice arc of sadness and understanding fueled by life experience. Also, Evan Peters is nicely eccentric and captures the teens of today very well, and Leslie Hope gets some good beats as Jake's mother. It's unfortunate that these three are supporting characters. Sean Faris plays a 23 year old 18 year old stiffly. He fights ok, but can't carry a movie, although the scenes with Wyatt Smith play like brother banter. Amber Heard is there to look crazy hot. Other than her body parts, she exhibits zero chemistry with anyone in this film. Cam Gigandet has model worthy stomach muscles and looks the right amount of creepy and entitled, but he brings nothing else to the table. Gigandet and Faris know how to fight, but bring nothing to the table when they fight.

Never Back Down is the movie equivalent of empty calories. In the moment, it is kinda fun, but it leaves you unsatisfied and is instantly forgotten after it is consumed. A great sports movie arouses prolonged euphoria in its audience; Never Back Down missteps enough to leave the audience indifferent or incredulous. If you want to see a GREAT mixed martial arts film, back down and see Warrior instead.
balcine19881
March 20, 2014
"I lied because I wanted to pound on the guy who was pounding on me. This guy, he's got the perfect life, the perfect car, the perfect girlfriend. You know, I lied because I'm pissed off. Because I'm angry all the time. I just, I just had to say no and I blew it. That's all I needed to do and I couldn't. My dad, he was, he was completely wasted. He was tanked. He wanted to drive and I let him. He uh, went off the road. Hit a tree. I made it, he didn't. I've just been letting my mom down and my brother down, getting in fights. I don't want to be angry anymore. The only time I'm not is when I'm in the gym, and I'm training with you."
March 15, 2014
So ridiculously stupid with a horrible message and two training montages. On the plus side, so much pretty, Djimon Hounsou brings some welcome gravatis, and there are a few moments of CrossFit. But damn what a horrible movie.
February 19, 2014
Filme Interessante De Luta.
December 27, 2013
Good one, has a bit of everything besides good fights.
March 14, 2008
Karate kid v moderním hávu - MMA a boj o ?est a sami?ku. :-)) Nic extra, ale pro m? jako p?íznivce bojových sport? to prost? má n?jaký to plus navíc.
December 25, 2013
Best fighting movie I seen. In a while
December 18, 2013
This movie is a "terrible movie!!!" I never seen a movie that people try to fight to there own death. "SO BORING" "Never Back Down is a movie that is a movie that is not worth watching." The performances are not good!!! The directing by Jeff Wadlow is okay. Score/effect is fine.
August 12, 2010
The only element that gave life to this douchebag tale is wildly stunning supporting actress Amber Heard.